Money saved from Moulds

I know its looking far ahead, BUT, Clements WILL be the second highest paid defensive player on the team, if not the highest. I think it would be wise to extend during mini camps, you cant let this guy test the market. Although I'm not his biggest fan I do know that he is one of the most important parts of our team.

Just thought I'd give a little reminder to those who's eyes got wide when they saw our cap figures.

OUT

Does Clements want to be extended or is he going to want to test the market ???

Does Clements want to reamin a Bill or does he want his payday ???

You don't have to remind many of us who are well aware of Clements situation. However we do need to addres the OL some this year in FA.

We also need to resign Pat Williams, and address the Jonas Jennings situation

You don't have to remind many of us who are well aware of Clements situation. However we do need to addres the OL some this year in FA.

We also need to resign Pat Williams, and address the Jonas Jennings situation

234502[/snapback]

Have posted this thought a lot before, so sorry for the redundancy. In the NFL, most players like the idea of stability and certainty. The only way to get that is through big bonus money. So, players are willing to give up the ability to test the market if the re-do contains a hefty bonus, not just hefty salaries. In fact, I think most players could care less about the salaries, as the bonus is there only guarantee.

However, waiting until the games start in a contract year is usually to late to get a re-do done. With each passing game, risk of injury gets diminished, therefore testing the market becomes more appealing.

I dont think you'll see Clements re-signed until training camp, much like Schobel last year.  I think TD will see what he can do with free agents and the draft this year, not to mention after June 1st cuts...with the money he has left over, he'll get to work on Clements' contract.

234556[/snapback]

I would usually agree with that...but I think NC is too good to wait to sign. He's young, just had a breakout year, and can return punts. I don't see us finding anybody better than him next year in FA or even the draft. I say get him signed ASAP and enjoy having him for another 5-6 years.

pop 10M in front of him NOW and let's see what happens........he gets his money early, doesn't have to worry about injuries, and the bills get their man.......

why can't he have both? he has earned his money, so just pay him.........

Have posted this thought a lot before, so sorry for the redundancy. In the NFL, most players like the idea of stability and certainty. The only way to get that is through big bonus money. So, players are willing to give up the ability to test the market if the re-do contains a hefty bonus, not just hefty salaries. In fact, I think most players could care less about the salaries, as the bonus is there only guarantee.

However, waiting until the games start in a contract year is usually to late to get a re-do done. With each passing game, risk of injury gets diminished, therefore testing the market becomes more appealing.

234519[/snapback]

exactly.......this the mistake TD made with winfield and jonas, although the masses would rather pin the blame on the players for just being "greedy" and wanting free agency.........if they're greedy, that early signing bonus should get deals done.......

I would usually agree with that...but I think NC is too good to wait to sign. He's young, just had a breakout year, and can return punts. I don't see us finding anybody better than him next year in FA or even the draft. I say get him signed ASAP and enjoy having him for another 5-6 years.

234562[/snapback]

His age and ability make him a top 5 corner in this league. There is no way that our team or any team will find a CB here or in the draft that could fill the void that Clements would leave.

OUT

exactly.......this the mistake TD made with winfield and jonas, although the masses would rather pin the blame on the players for just being "greedy" and wanting free agency.........if they're greedy, that early signing bonus should get deals done.......

234568[/snapback]

Letting Winfield hit the market was prompted by the sudden surprise opportunity to sign Lawyer Milloy. Milloy was needed by a host of Bills errors which left us in need at safety which start with:

Cutting Henry Jones (after we extended his deal ddooohh) and going with Raion Hill who did not accomplish the job,

Signing whathisname Jenkins a former GW/Gray guy to start at SS only to find out their assessment was wrong and it was time to retire. Instead they shoehorned Wire into a job he had never player before at any level of organized ball and not only was he not up to the job (what do you expect from a rookie) but they probably screwed up his career development as he would hav been more suited to focus on ST play.

Trying to fill the SS gap by signing Chad Cota and then Ainsley (?) Battles who promptly retired after hanging with us through the pre-season.

As the 2003 season was opening none other than genius Bill Belicheck completely miscalculated and screwed up negotiating with Milloy over relative chump change by NFL salary standards and had to cut Milloy. Fortunately for Milloy the demand (both the Bears and Bills had safety need and cap room) was high enough and the supply of available former pro Bowl safties was just him and TD had to big high to get him.

This high bid was with $ intended to sign Winfield before the season began and he hit the market where we could not meet the Vikes overpayment of him.

As far as Jennings, TD seems to have correctly read the market that there is so littled demand because almost all teams are locked up at LT with overpayments to talents like Clifton and Petitgout that Jennings apparently will get far less than top 10 OL contract levels ($7 million for top 5 and $6 million for top 10) and actually may not be able to even command the $5 million salaries which lesser talents like the two mentioned above have obtained.

I think the Bills may make a closeout bid at $4-5 million for Jennings, but unless one of the two teams with potential cap room (Rams and Eagles) lose Pace or Thomas, SF may be the only market available to Jennings.

I'm tempted to see the Bills hold out to try to get Jennings for $3 million (far less than what lesser players have gotten but potentially all the market will offer him) which he will have to be satisfied with because it is more money than he has ever seen before. However, it has been TDs habit to make a high offer which freezes out the competition (the Milloy deal and the Schobel deal) and i woukld not be surprised to see him offer $5 million to Jennings though such an offer will likely mean that Tucker or Smith will start for us at LG as I do not see the Bills committing even a Villarial size deal to an LG after committing $11 million in cap hit to MW and Jennings.

We'll see.

I think the Bills may make a closeout bid at $4-5 million for Jennings, but unless one of the two teams with potential cap room (Rams and Eagles) lose Pace or Thomas, SF may be the only market available to Jennings.

i think they'll be plenty of teams with interest in jennings and that he will command a 5M average.......

and i woukld not be surprised to see him offer $5 million to Jennings though such an offer will likely mean that Tucker or Smith will start for us at LG as I do not see the Bills committing even a Villarial size deal to an LG after committing $11 million in cap hit to MW and Jennings.

why not drop MW's cap hit from 6M? it can be easily accomplished and would not be a reckless move on the salary cap because he will be here for many years to come.........there is no reason he should enter the '05 season with a cap number that high when the dollars can be allocated to improving the roster........