Petition for the Bills vs Jags game available on DirecTV

correction to what was posted previously- after a little digging the game will not be broadcast as a network game or on Sunday Ticket. Only to local viewers in each market.

So Yahoo gets the exclusive riights within the law of the NFL TV contracts.

It's a big experiment.

Also after a little more digging the best way to view the game will be on "Yahoo Screen", a new Netflix like app that comes bundled with new Roku set top boxes, Apple TV and a free download for Android on google play.

Not only a big experiment for the NFL trying to find additional and global based revenue, but a grab for Yahoo Screen as a subscriber based outlet and Netflix competitor.

My personal viewing method will be an existing Acer android tablet connected to home wifi, download "yahoo screen" and connect to the main TV with a $6.95 micro hdmi to hdmi cable.

I already have a networked player (sony blu ray player) that plays Netflix very well. Ideally I would like to be able to download and install Yaoo Screen on that device, but not possible at present.

How does Yahoo get exclusive rights if CBS will be televising the game in Buffalo and Jacksonville?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not until the streams have record and playback controls. sorry watching on a darn computer doesn't sod the trick for me and I want to pause and rewind and FFW n record. can't do that yet with the streaming stuff

You feel like a pause feature is going to be the big hurdle here?

No way. This is a great thing for football fans, and technology. Why are people so attached to their cable and satellite providers?

Just hook your TV to the Internet already.

I think it is more than just getting to see the game for many people. Sure it is cool that everyone will have a chance to see the game. I can live with watching a game on my laptop, as opposed to my 56-inch HD tv. I already have to do that twice every season, there are two Sundays every fall that I am required to work on Sunday afternoon. So, I am up at 11pm or so, those Sundays (having avoided the NFL as much as possible all day), watching the game on NFL Rewind. Sometimes I hook the ;laptop up to the tv, and honestly, it looks terrific...not quite as good as my regular HDTV picture, but darn close....very few buffering problems, if any. Everyone else in the house is asleep...it is kind of fun in some ways...

However, and I know this is going to sound schmaltzy and sentimental..one of the greatest things about being a Bills fans, is the camaraderie you share with other fans. If the NFL trends this way in the future, after all the bloated network tv contracts lapse, I have very little doubt that this will be the way that NFL fans will experience NFL football. I am sure bars will figure out a way to make work for them. However, I think more and more people will just sit on their couch, at their desk, or in their beds, watching the games, because, when it comes down to it people will always opt for convenience, when it is available.

I normally go to a backers bar to watch the games, every week. Haven't missed a Bills game since 1989, Over the years, I have noticed, even at the bar, people are less engaged with the game itself, because many just can't go more than a minute or two without checking their cell phone....I love fantasy football, but I am weary, even then, of the barrage of stats that we get is detracting from our communal experience of the game...we all watch, but now we might not all be watching for the same reason...I feel all these technological advances are great...but they are affecting the game day experience, and not just for the people who are actually at the games.