OT: has anyone ever had the Flu?

zevo

I have never been so sick in all my life. It all started on superbowl sunday with chills aches and a cough. Then it progressed to a 103 fever. I then went to the doctor and he said i had the flu and that i should almost be over it. That was on tuesday. It is now thursaday and i wake up in the middle of the night and my ears feel like they are going to explode from all of the pressure. The good thing is is that the fever broke but i still have a bad sore throat, two ear aches and still congested. does anyone think i should go back to the doctor to get my ears checked for an infection or is this normal? This is the first time i hav eever had the FLU!

Thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been so sick in all my life. It all started on superbowl sunday with chills aches and a cough. Then it progressed to a 103 fever. I then went  to the doctor and he said i had the flu and that i should almost be over it. That was on tuesday. It is now thursaday and i wake up in the middle of the night and my ears feel like they are going to explode from all of the pressure. The good thing is is that the fever broke but i still have a bad sore throat, two ear aches and still congested. does anyone think i should go back to the doctor to get my ears checked for an infection or is this normal? This is the first time i hav eever had the FLU!

Thoughts?

234279[/snapback]

Call your doctor's office and ask the nurse -

I've had the stomach flu occasionally, but that only lasta a day or two luckily.

I've only had the flu once that I can remember. It was back in '95, and I was out of commision for a week. :lol: It went around the office, and we dubbed it "The Martian Death Plague." It sucked. Bad. :lol:

CW

I had some form of the flu a couple of years back that I couldn't even move my head off a pillow for two days without getting dizzy and throwing up. I was ready to go to the ER, when it finally broke.

PS Knock on wood, but I have been very lucky so far this year in terms of cold & flu. It may be coincidence, but in order to keep germs from spreading, I have been using the hand sanitizer stuff constantly. I have a bottle at my desk and also one at home.

Everyone around my office has been sick for weeks. Even my boss who hasn't taken a minute of sick time for two years was off for two days.

Whatever it is, it's nasty and seems to travel all over the body. Good rule of thumb is your temperature. High temp normally means a virus which can only be handled with rest, fluids and probably increased Vitamin C. A low temp for more than 24 hours is usually an indicator that it's bacterial and you'd need antibiotics. Caution - taking those leftover antibiotics from your medicine cabinet is a very bad idea.

Yes, I did work in health care for 5 years in another life.

I think in 1918 some 20 million people had influenza.

234290[/snapback]

That's how many people DIED from influenza in 1918, or thereabouts. It was a global disaster.

I got some drugs today for myself. I was at a doctors office working on their systems and mentioned I had a cold, so long story short, I got some Nasonex, Omnicef, and a prescription for Robitussin. Plus they needed a printer tested that's hooked to a stability tester, so I got to do a stability test also.

That's how many people DIED from influenza in 1918, or thereabouts. It was a global disaster.

234404[/snapback]

Yes. I've heard is said that doughboys returning from WWI spread much of it here.

There's a town not far from where I live, that is named Mt. Healthy, because for some reason the inhabitants that lived there escaped the epidemic.

Caution - taking those leftover antibiotics from your medicine cabinet is a very bad idea.

234386[/snapback]

That's a great point to bring up. You are absolutely correct....folks using expired antibiotics can end up on dialysis, be candidates for liver transplants, other damages, or get their name listed on the obituaries page.

That's a great point to bring up.  You are absolutely correct....folks using expired antibiotics can end up on dialysis, be candidates for liver transplants, other damages, or get their name listed on the obituaries page.

234833[/snapback]

There should never be any expired or even unused antibiotics around the house anyway......if you have them, get rid of em.

There should never be any expired or even unused antibiotics around the house anyway......if you have them, get rid of em.

234863[/snapback]

How do you get rid of them? I'm assuming down the drain or in the garbage is a bad idea (contamination). So what do you do with them?

I don't have any, but it'd probably be good info to have.

CW

How do you get rid of them?  I'm assuming down the drain or in the garbage is a bad idea (contamination).  So what do you do with them?

CW

234873[/snapback]

You can just throw em in the trash, bro........not a problem.

By the way, this isn't for just antibiotics that are expired......even if they haven't expired, if it's not something you're currently taking then you should pitch it. I know most of us rarely follow our doctor's instructions, but there is a very good reason why they say to take the entire antibiotic prescription, even if your symptoms improve or you feel 100% better.

How do you get rid of them?  I'm assuming down the drain or in the garbage is a bad idea (contamination).  So what do you do with them?

CW

234873[/snapback]

Put them into the trash. If you flush them, they end up in the water supply.

Allow me to make your day. ;)

Prozac in Drinking Water:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/sto...1278760,00.html

You can just throw em in the trash, bro........not a problem.

234895[/snapback]

Not the right answer:

http://arthritis.about.com/od/arthritismed...disposemeds.htm

http://www.foxchasepediatrics.com/News%20P...ns%209-8-03.htm

http://www.napra.ca/practice/toolkits/toolkit9/takeback.pdf

Apparantly calling the pharmacist is the best option; many of them take the drugs back and (presumably?) dispose of them safely.

CW

Put them into the trash.  If you flush them, they end up in the water supply.

"Your trash will eventually make it to a local landfill, where your medications could still have the potential to leach out. Many municipal or local trash services now have local household waste facilities where you can safely drop off your medications for incineration. Call your local trash service for options in your area."

Of course, instead of it getting into the ground or water, incineration puts it into the air... Is that really better?

CW

Not the right answer:

http://www.foxchasepediatrics.com/News%20P...ns%209-8-03.htm

http://www.napra.ca/practice/toolkits/toolkit9/takeback.pdf

Apparantly calling the pharmacist is the best option; many of them take the drugs back and (presumably?) dispose of them safely.

CW

234906[/snapback]

I think that what came out of your tailpipe in the morning drive has more effect on the general welfare than pitching old penicillin into the trash can.

I think that what came out of your tailpipe in the morning drive has more effect on the general welfare than pitching old penicillin into the trash can.

234914[/snapback]

So because something else we do is worse, we should just compound on top of that? ;)

Hell, why not just throw old batteries in the garbage too then? (you do recycle those, don't you?)

CW

So because something else we do is worse, we should just compound on top of that?  <_<

Hell, why not just throw old batteries in the garbage too then?  (you do recycle those, don't you?)

CW

234923[/snapback]

OKay, Fez.......take them to NASA and have them launched into space then.

Until further notice, the safest means of disposal is in the trash - bottle and all. I work with pharmacists every day. Aside from meds that require a certain type of handling, they're just going to tell you to pitch them out.