Brett Hundley. We need to talk about this.

In the Petty thread there is some discussion on Hundley being a possible pick for the Bills. I am not a huge fan as I think he has similar issues to EJ. I was reading this assessment of him on Grantland (with the cringe-worthy title "The Project.") His experience is in running an offense that sounds very similar to what the Bills are looking to do.

Along with the other smoke signals - Whaley going to UCLA games, talking him down at the media draft luncheon, flying out to see Petty --

http://grantland.com/features/2015-nfl-draft-quarterback-evaluation-formula-jameis-winston-marcus-mariota-brett-hundley-bryce-petty/

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a rule governing how many project QBs a team can draft and/or carry on the roster?

there needs to be. if a team doesn't have a real starting QB they need to have a 2 project limit. Or they can just have a parade of mediocre QBs down Abbott for entertainment.

Here was my scouting report on Hundley:

Brett Hundley - UCLA

Sample video:

- Solid drop-back with good explosion off back foot; athletic and a good scrambler
- Ball comes out quickly with velocity
- Release point is a bit low, leading to batted balls at the LOS
- Ball placement is solid on short throws
- Gets flustered in the pocket and doesn’t reset his feet reliably
- Rushes to escape the pocket when #1 isn’t available
- Makes good decisions with the football from the pocket
- Accuracy on throws inside the hash marks is inconsistent
- Needs to learn to get on the ground when finishing a run or he’ll get killed in the NFL
- Must protect the football better in the pocket

I expected to be underwhelmed by Hundley, but came away pretty impressed with his passing ability. He’s got an NFL arm, quick release, solid accuracy more often than not, and is very athletic. He needs to work to re-point his release to avoid all the tipped balls, and his pocket presence will need to develop. I could definitely see a team taking a shot at him with a 1st round pick based on natural ability.

that was my thoughts on the subject after hearing Whaley list the "second tier" of QB's as Petty, Grayson, and Mannion. Hundley is at least as good as those guys if not better. seems like a smokescreen. Hundley has a really high ceiling and don't forget, he played on a pretty crappy team and had to carry them on his shoulders. but in doing so he has resurrected UCLA football. I don't think they take a QB in the 2nd round but if they do then Hundley and Petty are the only ones I woudl think they are looking at there. if they wait until the 3rd or 4th then Grayson or Mannion will be the only good ones left at that point

Edited by kdiggz

If your trying to read into what Rex has said so far he has liked Taylor for a long time, he says he throws a really good deep ball with Harvin and Watkins a good deep ball would be nice, from what I've read Cassel wasn't very effective Passing the ball 20 + yards last year and I'm not certain EJ is ever going to become more accurate, but it was widely reported Whaley was forcing EJ on coaching prospects during the interview process, not certain who will start the season, but I'm pretty certain we'll see Taylor start some games at some point in 2016.

Here was my scouting report on Hundley:

Brett Hundley - UCLA

Sample video:

- Solid drop-back with good explosion off back foot; athletic and a good scrambler

- Ball comes out quickly with velocity

- Release point is a bit low, leading to batted balls at the LOS

- Ball placement is solid on short throws

- Gets flustered in the pocket and doesnt reset his feet reliably

- Rushes to escape the pocket when #1 isnt available

- Makes good decisions with the football from the pocket

- Accuracy on throws inside the hash marks is inconsistent

- Needs to learn to get on the ground when finishing a run or hell get killed in the NFL

- Must protect the football better in the pocket

I expected to be underwhelmed by Hundley, but came away pretty impressed with his passing ability. Hes got an NFL arm, quick release, solid accuracy more often than not, and is very athletic. He needs to work to re-point his release to avoid all the tipped balls, and his pocket presence will need to develop. I could definitely see a team taking a shot at him with a 1st round pick based on natural ability.

what would you think if the Bills took him in the 2nd rd?

I think it's less than 2...

then we are over our limit already

what would you think if the Bills took him in the 2nd rd?

That they're going to have trouble distributing snaps in practice

That they're going to either trade EJ or cut Taylor

That they think Hundley can start right away.

How would I feel about it? I'd be conflicted. He's obviously talented, but if he's not the answer, and you pass on talents like top-tier talents like C. Davis and/or P. Smith, it's a big miss.

Jump back...on the good foot?

james-brown-010.jpg

Wow...extremely well played.

:worthy:

That they're going to have trouble distributing snaps in practice

That they're going to either trade EJ or cut Taylor

That they think Hundley can start right away.

How would I feel about it? I'd be conflicted. He's obviously talented, but if he's not the answer, and you pass on talents like top-tier talents like C. Davis and/or P. Smith, it's a big miss.

Wow...extremely well played.

:worthy:

HA!....wha the people say....