Matt Cassel's abnormal career path.

1) Manning isn't the best qb ever

2) he struggled in big games in college. He has done the same in the pros.

3). He threw more ints than tds and went 3-13 as a rookie.

You need to be patient with all young Qbs.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Colts went 3-13 as a rookie, not Manning. Their defense finished 29th in points allowed and 29th in yards given up in a 30-team league.

Manning, best qb of all time. Kid level, High School, College, and Nfl.

Manning is not the best QB ever. His playoffs record is simply awful. 9 one and done is really bad. Especially with the talent he had/has on offense in both Indy and Denver. Great in the regular season, disappears in the playoffs. He is known as a ' choker " when it comes to the post season and his record shows it to be true.

I'm hoping Cassel play similar to his pro bowl time in KC. If he does that, he'll get the starting job and we should be in good shape .

There's a similar trend in his surround cast as well

Well Alex Smith and Bridgewater stepped in and those offenses improved.

This is going to be Kyle Orton situation. Folks are going to make excuses for a 10 year vet. Cassel is average on his best days. Now, he is getting older.

No Bills fan should be happy with Cassel winning the job. No other fanbase would. Great backup, completely limited as a starter.

This is going to be Kyle Orton situation. Folks are going to make excuses for a 10 year vet. Cassel is average on his best days. Now, he is getting older.

No Bills fan should be happy with Cassel winning the job. No other fanbase would. Great backup, completely limited as a starter.

I agree, and I think he's actually inferior to Orton. If Orton hadn't retired, my guess is that the Bills would have preferred him over Cassel.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Colts went 3-13 as a rookie, not Manning. Their defense finished 29th in points allowed and 29th in yards given up in a 30-team league.

Folks love to pick and choose when to use W-L records for Qbs (not you). but generally throwing more ints and tds doesn't help your team to Ws. But yes there were many other facts to the Colts going 3-13. Just like there are for every team.

I agree, and I think he's actually inferior to Orton. If Orton hadn't retired, my guess is that the Bills would have preferred him over Cassel.

Yeah, it's a coin flip. Very similar players. That said, I can't imagine Cassel being more gutless than Orton was.

Tom Brady was an unheralded backup for most of his college career at Michigan.

I think Brady was the starter for most of his last 2 years at Michigan. He got started splitting time with hotshot recruit Drew Henson. It was similar to the Flutie Johnson situation.

Interesting point. Is it spotlight contributing to failure of these college greats or is it the differences in the game?

IMO, it's a couple of things. The star college Qbs who are high draft picks play on loaded football teams. I was never a Manziel fan because I thought he was on a loaded offensive team. He threw to a beast in Evans and was protected by 2 top 10 LTs. It's a big adjustment when you come to the pros and you don't have a superior team.

Also it's expectations. EJ had an average rookie season. But because he's a 1st rounder, some expect him to be Andrew Luck, who had some struggles as a rookie. If he is a 3rd rounder, people are more excited. Also, he might have been allowed to develop more before he was labelled as a bust.

Yeah, it's a coin flip. Very similar players. That said, I can't imagine Cassel being more gutless than Orton was.

Honestly, I think the reason Orton looked gutless is that he knew he was out at the end of the season. If he had been willing to play this year, I doubt he would have played like that near the end. He never had before. Self-preservation at that stage (knowing no more NFL money was coming his way after week 17) isn't irrational.

Honestly, I think the reason Orton looked gutless is that he knew he was out at the end of the season. If he had been willing to play this year, I doubt he would have played like that near the end. He never had before. Self-preservation at that stage (knowing no more NFL money was coming his way after week 17) isn't irrational.

Agreed and I don't blame him. Personally, I don't know how he could look guys like Kyle Williams and Fred Jackson in the face.

He should have never sniffed the field after that 3rd and 1 slide. Say what you want to aboutEJ, but he got hurt fighting for extra yards.

Agreed, it could be. Personally, I think the 2 productive seasons of his career are the outliners. He has thrown more ints than tds since his last good year.

Players don't tend to improve as they enter their 30s in the NFL and Cassel wasn't that great to begin with.

But the guy has made millions playing football so props to him. In a perfect world, he will be our backup/ mentor. Anything more is asking for trouble.

What you stated is true for pretty much all positions except QB's. QB's tend to be peaking in early 30's. Great example is as someone else mentioned, Rich Gannon.

Gannon didn't have a "cannon" arm, he was VERY smart, had right talent around him with Raiders and even got them to a Superbowl.

The key to our QB play this year is being SMART with the football. We will probably be in the top 5 in rushing attempts and we already had a top 5 D. One of the big things EJ struggled with was making right reads (as well as accuracy). However, all we truly had last yr as options in passing game was prob the slowest TE in the league, an extremely highly touted 1st round WR (who played hurt nearly all season) and Woods who is an ok #2 but more of a 2B WR who will be more of a weapon now with guys like Percy being around to draw attention, a huge upgrade in talent at TE with Clay and Sammy hopefully being "healthy" and in 2nd yr and should be more consistent.

With all these new toys, as well as Shaddy as great check down option, decision making will be crucial. We have alot of guys that have the talent to get open. EJ settled too much for his primary option and half the time didnt even scan the field. If Cassel sees that primary option having the right coverage on him, we have alot more guys that can beat coverage. Cassel as a vet may not be the perfect QB, but if he can make right reads, we have guys who can make plays.

What you stated is true for pretty much all positions except QB's. QB's tend to be peaking in early 30's. Great example is as someone else mentioned, Rich Gannon.

Gannon didn't have a "cannon" arm, he was VERY smart, had right talent around him with Raiders and even got them to a Superbowl.

The key to our QB play this year is being SMART with the football. We will probably be in the top 5 in rushing attempts and we already had a top 5 D. One of the big things EJ struggled with was making right reads (as well as accuracy). However, all we truly had last yr as options in passing game was prob the slowest TE in the league, an extremely highly touted 1st round WR (who played hurt nearly all season) and Woods who is an ok #2 but more of a 2B WR who will be more of a weapon now with guys like Percy being around to draw attention, a huge upgrade in talent at TE with Clay and Sammy hopefully being "healthy" and in 2nd yr and should be more consistent.

With all these new toys, as well as Shaddy as great check down option, decision making will be crucial. We have alot of guys that have the talent to get open. EJ settled too much for his primary option and half the time didnt even scan the field. If Cassel sees that primary option having the right coverage on him, we have alot more guys that can beat coverage. Cassel as a vet may not be the perfect QB, but if he can make right reads, we have guys who can make plays.

Fair points. Only difference is Gannon never had success until his 30s. http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXGXXGannRi00.htm&t=0 Cassel, IMO, is as good as he is going to be. His career is trending downwards.

And a guy like Gannon is the exception rather than the norm. It's like Brady getting drafted in the 6th round.

Manning > Cassel at any age in life.

Manning greatest qb of all time including prehistoric and futuristic lifetimes.

Manning has bloodline from the Aztecs from Apocalypto. His great great great great great great granddad was the one that would throw the javelins on the runners and kill them of course. That may be how the football was invented. From human skin to pig skin. Thats why he talks funny.

Oops I made a mistake. Manning IS the best QB ever. His playoffs record is BAD BECAUSE HE WAS THE ONLY GOOD PLAYER ON HIS WEAK TEAMS

I'm hoping Cassel play similar to his pro bowl time in KC. If he does that, he'll get the starting job and we should be in good shape .

Wow Jets Hater. You had a nice change of mind.

"Fixed"

Manning > Cassel at any age in life.

Manning greatest qb of all time including prehistoric and futuristic lifetimes.

Manning has bloodline from the Aztecs from Apocalypto. His great great great great great great granddad was the one that would throw the javelins on the runners and kill them of course. That may be how the football was invented. From human skin to pig skin. Thats why he talks funny.

Wow Jets Hater. You had a nice change of mind.

"Fixed"

Nice try. It's not even close. If his teams were so " weak " how in the world was he getting to the playoffs in the 1st place ? Manning's record speaks for itself. He flat out sucks in the post seasons. He crumbles like no others under pressure. Once again, great in the regular season, but a no show in the playoffs. The 1 SB in 2006, he had a fantastic defense. The rest, it's choke jobs after choke jobs.

Nice try. It's not even close. If his teams were so " weak " how in the world was he getting to the playoffs in the 1st place ? Manning's record speaks for itself. He flat out sucks in the post seasons. He crumbles like no others under pressure. Once again, great in the regular season, but a no show in the playoffs. The 1 SB in 2006, he had a fantastic defense. The rest, it's choke jobs after choke jobs.

I stopped reading after Nice try.

So you do agree with me. That's all that matters.

Manning is the best qb of all time even when people say "in your dreams". In our dreams he's the best qb of all time.

That's what makes him so cool. He's the best qb of all time in real time real life and in our dreams.

Wow. He's good. I wish I was 1/1000 of Manning. I'd be in the hall of fame as a qb.

I stopped reading after Nice try.

So you do agree with me. That's all that matters.

Manning is the best qb of all time even when people say "in your dreams". In our dreams he's the best qb of all time.

That's what makes him so cool. He's the best qb of all time in real time real life and in our dreams.

Wow. He's good. I wish I was 1/1000 of Manning. I'd be in the hall of fame as a qb.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not If you are, I have to admit, those lines are pretty funny. If you are not, it's even funnier.

and when given the chance to replace Kyle Orton who did the Chiefs pick? Some guy named Cassel.