Article - "Ryan talks a good game, but will wins follow?"

webtoe

It's easy to explain. Rex is a Bill now so obviously he is great. Look back or remember when both the Gailey and Marrone hires were hailed as great right after they happened for other recent examples. I have my doubts about Rex based on past performance as I did with Marrone and Gailey. But only time will tell if Sexy Rexy turns it around or flames out. Until then enjoy the ride and give him your support is my advice. Rex is nothing if not entertaining.

Haha, so true. Bills fans are always so darned optimistic about new hires, and new players. Its that Buffalo Bills fans eternal optimism that flourishes every spring, and this year with all the new offensive weapons I can see why so many are excited about the upcoming season. How dare I cast some doubt.

Hey man, I'm hoping for the best, and want to see this years team pound the Patriots to dust. I've been wanting a ground, and pound offense in Buffalo ever since that 2009 WC playoff game "IN" New England when the Ravens beat the Patriots 33-14. They did it with a dominating defense, and a non superstar at QB. Second year QB Flacco went 4 for 10 for 34 yards, and one INT. Meanwhile the Ravens rushed 52 times for 234 yards, and 4 TD's. If Rex can build an offense that can do that to Brady's bunch ...then I know I'll be a happy fan.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree that this years Bills team is ready to win now. They still have a questions at QB, and they still have the majority of the bad O line players on the roster from last year when the line was 30th overall, and 32nd against the run.

All star coaching staff...really? A lot of that 4-12 coaching staff found its way to Buffalo. Also, according to 49ers fans they wanted Roman out about as badly as Bills fans wanted Hackett gone.

There's no surprise we disagree on the state of the roster. You have made it quite clear you believe the problems last year fall more on Whaley than they did Marrone and his terrible, junior varsity offensive scheme. This is something I do not agree with, and is most likely the biggest source of disagreement between us. But when it comes to available coaches, Ryan was at the top of everyone's list for a reason -- he was the best available candidate. And, for reasons already discussed, he was surprisingly the best choice the Bills could have made all things considered (the roster, new owners, need for stability et al).

You might laugh at the notion that this is an all star coaching staff, but it is. From Roman (arguably one of the top 5 head coaching candidates available, with a proven NFL track record calling and designing offenses) to Kromer (arguably the biggest coaching need was a teacher at the OL position where the team has invested heavily in youth) to Thurman to Henderson to Lee to Palmer this coaching staff is two deep at some positions. That's unheard of for a Buffalo team (thanks Pegulas!) and rare in the NFL to have that kind of financial commitment to just the coaching staff.

But don't get what I'm saying twisted: I'm over the moon with the hire and the fall out since, but I'm not declaring a Super Bowl win a fate accompli. Ryan has to show he's learned from his tenure in Jersey, but the one thing that's absolutely clear is he's never had the opportunity he has right now. He's never had a team with this much talent on the roster, in the coaching booth, or this much support from the front office. Considering his track record to date, I think it takes a certain kind of depressed world view to be anything other than enthused about the possibilities ahead.

It's easy to explain. Rex is a Bill now so obviously he is great. Look back or remember when both the Gailey and Marrone hires were hailed as great right after they happened for other recent examples.

But it's not that easy. Unlike Gailey and Marrone, Rex has more than hype. He has a track record of success. Regardless of how you personally feel about the hire, there's no question he's the most accomplished and talented head coaching hire since Wade (at least). There's a giant difference between false hope and hope.

Edited by GreggyT

But it's not that easy. Unlike Gailey and Marrone, Rex has more than hype. He has a track record of success. Regardless of how you personally feel about the hire, there's no question he's the most accomplished and talented head coaching hire since Wade (at least). There's a giant difference between false hope and hope.

Yes there is. False hope is when someone gets their hopes up [for reasons largely in their heads] and end up disappointed. This applies to a lot of Bills fans when to came to Gailey for example. Right now Bills fans have hope in Rex. Only time will tell if it is false hope or not. You for example, may feel that a head coach with a sub .500 career record is accomplished. Some do not.

Like I said earlier, success or flame out, with Rex one thing it will not be is boring.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Are you saying Ryan didn't hire his coordinators in NYJ?

If I am reading that comment correctly.....then the poster is speculating that he only hired his FIRST one.....

Wouldnt that be the years that he went to the AFC Championships?

By the way....I have no idea whether it is true or not.....but it would be interesting if true.

Sullivan actually brings up a valid point. Jet's fans have first hand experience with this and would tell you the exact same thing.

Jets fans were pretty happy with Rex before their bad GMs let all the offensive talent walk out the door and didn't replace any of it.

If I am reading that comment correctly.....then the poster is speculating that he only hired his FIRST one.....

Wouldnt that be the years that he went to the AFC Championships?

By the way....I have no idea whether it is true or not.....but it would be interesting if true.

Actually he's wrong. His first OC is the only one he didn't hire. When Rex was hired, he decided to keep Schottenheimer. The he fired him and hired Sporano. Then he fired Sporano after 1 season, declaring "I never liked him". Then he hired Morningweig. 3 OCs in 3 years in that stretch.

Edited by Mr. WEO

There's no surprise we disagree on the state of the roster. You have made it quite clear you believe the problems last year fall more on Whaley than they did Marrone and his terrible, junior varsity offensive scheme. This is something I do not agree with, and is most likely the biggest source of disagreement between us. But when it comes to available coaches, Ryan was at the top of everyone's list for a reason -- he was the best available candidate. And, for reasons already discussed, he was surprisingly the best choice the Bills could have made all things considered (the roster, new owners, need for stability et al).

You might laugh at the notion that this is an all star coaching staff, but it is. From Roman (arguably one of the top 5 head coaching candidates available, with a proven NFL track record calling and designing offenses) to Kromer (arguably the biggest coaching need was a teacher at the OL position where the team has invested heavily in youth) to Thurman to Henderson to Lee to Palmer this coaching staff is two deep at some positions. That's unheard of for a Buffalo team (thanks Pegulas!) and rare in the NFL to have that kind of financial commitment to just the coaching staff.

But don't get what I'm saying twisted: I'm over the moon with the hire and the fall out since, but I'm not declaring a Super Bowl win a fate accompli. Ryan has to show he's learned from his tenure in Jersey, but the one thing that's absolutely clear is he's never had the opportunity he has right now. He's never had a team with this much talent on the roster, in the coaching booth, or this much support from the front office. Considering his track record to date, I think it takes a certain kind of depressed world view to be anything other than enthused about the possibilities ahead.

First of all, if Doug Marrone hadn't decided on his own to step away from Buffalo, then both he and his lame OC- JV offensive scheme would still be in Buffalo. It was reported that Marrone wanted an extension for him and his staff, and was given the OK by Pegula, and then still walked away. Then, who hired Marrone along with his JV OC in the first place?

The Bills didn't hire John Fox with a winning record in Carolina 73-71, In Denver 46-18. The Bills hired Rex Ryan 46-50 which is a losing record.

Greg Roman didn't get any interviews for head coaching jobs that I'm aware of, and his offenses were 20th, 24th, 11th, and 26th in yards during his four years in San Fran. Then his QB Kaepernick regressed badly last season, and the 49ers with all that talent on the O line only managed an 8-8 record. In 2014 that SF offense was 25th in points, 24th in yards.

Stating that it looks to me like Roman will have a monumental task ahead of him in 2015 with the Bills QB situation, and the current players for the line on the roster.

New Bills QB Matt Cassell in his ten year career has had only two winning seasons, one with NE, one with KC, (10-5 both times), and is now on his fourth team. A 33-38 overall record. A bridge to nowhere QB. Plus, I'm not very enthused over the hiring of QB coach David Lee considering the impact he had on Fitz his last year in Buffalo, and how badly Geno Smith performed all last season. I think I'l wait and see before proclaiming this an all star coaching staff.

San Jose Bills fan also mentioned that I must be depressed or have other issues because I criticized Chan Gailey, and some of his moves in his first season in Buffalo. I didn't criticize Jauron or Marrone at first either until I saw some rather blatant stupid moves. With Ryan its already started by wanting, and signing WR Percy Harvin for 6 mill per when the team could have signed a pair of lineman. This doesn't look like a very smart move to me, and Whaley has stated they are done signing free agents this year. In his six years Harvin has been with four different teams, and it always starts out great...

Things could change with the draft this year, but then considering how last years #2 pick turned out I'm not very optimistic.

Pretty sure there are more of us Bills fans out there that see the hiring of a HC that just went 4-12 his last season as not that great a move. They are just following the "CodeMonkey" rule of thought. I watched the 2014 Jets with their QB falling on his face game after game, and all the while their HC blustering, and running his mouth about how his team will recover to win games...and to only win four all year. The 2014 Jets were the #3 team in the NFL in rushing, and where did it get them?

There is no question Ryan will have an impact with the defense. But then Buffalo already had the #4 overall defense last season. Led the league in sacks with 54, and in TD's allowed. We already know, and expect the defense to be great. However, Its not the defense that concerns me, as I've already stated.

First of all, if Doug Marrone hadn't decided on his own to step away from Buffalo, then both he and his lame OC- JV offensive scheme would still be in Buffalo. It was reported that Marrone wanted an extension for him and his staff, and was given the OK by Pegula, and then still walked away. Then, who hired Marrone along with his JV OC in the first place?

Greg Roman didn't get any interviews for head coaching jobs that I'm aware of...

You're right, had Doug not been foolish, he'd still be here. Sometimes the good guys get the breaks, which is what happened to this organization when St. Doug martyred himself. Roman interviewed in Buffalo for the HC position, and I think a few more but I'm not certain there.