From deep in Jboyst's hard drive, where it all started

Anyway Crepe Myrtles, boxwoods and such were status symbols in the South back in the day because they symbolized old money. Old houses not destroyed in the civil war and after had older plants - the slow growing ones especially - showed power & money.

Here is my oldest Crepe Myrtle back in the first of the month.

8YsvSJg.jpg

Anyway Crepe Myrtles, boxwoods and such were status symbols in the South back in the day because they symbolized old money. Old houses not destroyed in the civil war and after had older plants - the slow growing ones especially - showed power & money.

Here is my oldest Crepe Myrtle back in the first of the month.

8YsvSJg.jpg

crepey picture

When I lived in Texas the crepe myrtle was the "town tree/bush/shrub." Builders had to plant one at each new house site.

The crepe myrtles are everywhere in Hampton Roads. This guy would be pissed if he traveled around here, it's crepe murder everywhere. Think Im carving a few up w the chainsaw method myself.

@jboy. They exaggerating the negative effects or what ?

Not as much as you'd hope. I looked for a good picture of my big one, I only have a few with it in the background. It took about 4 hours one day to prune i up right. But, you really have to prune them right to get the most out of them. They only bloom on the new wood and therefore when you maul them they do not bloom as well. The 1/3's average is pretty good rule of thumb. Always cut anything parallel with the ground or falling first. Chutes that come right off the base need to be cut off, too. Even if they are further up the plant and only growing straight up. They'll eventually create a weak point.

The ex I posted a picture of a long way back and took to the opener knows them very well and taught me a lot.