Attention Southern California Residents:

Just how expensive is it to live there, anyway?

If one were to look for a 3 bedroom house in a modest neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley or out in Ventura or San Bernardino County?

Just sick of east coast weather, and I need to be able to fantasize about living somewhere where it's warm. :w00t:

If one were to look for a 3 bedroom house in a modest neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley or out in Ventura or San Bernardino County?

Just sick of east coast weather, and I need to be able to fantasize about living somewhere where it's warm. :w00t:

232008[/snapback]

Ugh.....I would never move out there......why don't you go down Carolinny way......ol Tobaccy road.

:w00t:

I have a friend in Santa Barbara. It's beautiful. They just bought a 2 BR ranch (new construction) that backs up to a highway (one of those concrete barriers in the backyard). The property is former commercial property, so there are some environmental concerns.

Price: 600,000$.

232008[/snapback]

Earthquakes, wildfires, drought, and when it finally does rain, mudslides.

Ill take a few months of cold and some snow, thanks.

I have a friend in Santa Barbara. It's beautiful. They just bought a 2 BR ranch (new construction) that backs up to a highway (one of those concrete barriers in the backyard). The property is former commercial property, so there are some environmental concerns.

Price: 600,000$.

232067[/snapback]

So, $600k to live on a toxic waste dump next to a highway. Great. :w00t:

It isn't much better here in CT. I've though about moving too, most like to the south.

232008[/snapback]

Looking to leave the paradise that is Allentown?

Looking to leave the paradise that is Allentown?

232262[/snapback]

I hate Pennsylvania, but it's unlikely that I COULD leave even though I want to.

But, I can dream. Dream of more sunny days than cloudy days. Dream of mild winters. Dream of chicks in bikinis.....oops, my bad, got off track there :w00t:

232008[/snapback]

Here's a site that compares housing, taxes, crime, etc between cities.

http://www.bestplaces.net/html/city_compare.asp

Here's a site that compares housing, taxes, crime, etc between cities.

http://www.bestplaces.net/html/city_compare.asp

232394[/snapback]

Hrm, when I tried to do a compare between Diamond Bar and Emmaus, it wouldn't let me do anything but a general. I'll try it from home, thanks.

Good luck. We moved to Denver from South Bay in LA for the ridiculous cost of living. CA state income tax is very high, utilities and gasoline are very high, property taxes are ridiculous, and the actual cost of homes is lucicrous. You can still find reasonable value if you want to live in the Desert, i.e. Lancaster/Palmdale or borderline towns like Riverside/Redlands. But reasonable is still approaching $400K for a 3-bedroom at about 1800 sq feet. Then of course there is the traffic. And in the inland empire, the weather sucks in the summer. It is hot and the smog is bad. The beach towns are great all year round but you can't sniff anything for less than $500k, and that's for a 2-bedroom beach cottage.

In places like Diamond Bar, Chino, Pomona, etc., you'd be looking at least $400K for anything even semi-decent, and more like $500K if you want a nice house around 2000 sq ft.

I really liked living there, but the cost was just not worth it. I think it's a little better south of OC before you get to SD, but I never did much research in that area. Like I said, good luck.

Berg

Just sick of east coast weather, and I need to be able to fantasize about living somewhere where it's warm. :doh:

232008[/snapback]

`

Here's a little graph for you to consider

http://webpages.charter.net/almadizon/RealEstate.html

The further away from the coast you go the better for prices but the commute can be horrendous. Also for most areas every mile you go inland raises the average temperature by one degree.

`

Here's a little graph for you to consider

http://webpages.charter.net/almadizon/RealEstate.html

The further away from the coast you go the better for prices but the commute can be horrendous.  Also for most areas every mile you go inland raises the average temperature by one degree.

233214[/snapback]

Sweet...nice chart.

Thanks.