The dangers of our new normal...

You are clueless

That wasn't really an answer. I'm curious, you've spent pages on this very thread decrying the concerns over the growing surveillance state as nothing but conspiracy and not worth worrying about... but now that Vice is doing a story on it you seem to be interested in the topic. Why the change?

(source warning: rehashes some of what's already been linked in this thread)

YOUR METADATA TAKEN BY THE NSA WILL NOW BE SHARED WITH ALL AGENCIES: THE SAME DATA THEY “HAVEN’T” BEEN COLLECTING FOR YEARS

What does this rule change mean for you? In short, domestic law enforcement officials now have access to huge troves of American communications, obtained without warrants, that they can use to put people in cages. FBI agents don’t need to have any “national security” related reason to plug your name, email address, phone number, or other “selector” into the NSA’s gargantuan data trove. They can simply poke around in your private information in the course of totally routine investigations. And if they find something that suggests, say, involvement in illegal drug activity, they can send that information to local or state police. That means information the NSA collects for purposes of so-called “national security” will be used by police to lock up ordinary Americans for routine crimes. And we don’t have to guess who’s going to suffer this unconstitutional indignity the most brutally. It’ll be Black, Brown, poor, immigrant, Muslim, and dissident Americans: the same people who are always targeted by law enforcement for extra “special” attention.

http://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com/constitutional-rights/your-meta-data-taken-by-the-nsa-will-now-be-shared-with-all-agencies/

Vindication for Edward Snowden From a New Player in NSA Whistleblowing Saga

An article by Mark Hertsgaard, adapted from his new book, Bravehearts: Whistle Blowing in the Age of Snowden, describes how former NSA official Thomas Drake went through proper channels in his attempt to expose civil-liberties violations at the NSA — and was punished for it. The article vindicates open-government activists who have long argued that whistleblower protections aren’t sufficient in the national security realm.

It vindicates NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden who, well aware of what happened to Drake, gave up his attempts to go through traditional whistleblower channels – and instead handed over his trove of classified documents directly to journalists.

And it adds to the vindication for Drake, who was already a hero in the whistleblower’s pantheon for having endured a four-year persecution by the Justice Department that a judge called “unconscionable.”

The case against Drake, who was initially charged with 10 felony counts of espionage, famously disintegrated before trial – but not before he was professionally and financially ruined. And now it turns out that going through official channels may have actually set off the chain of events that led to his prosecution.

https://theintercept.com/2016/05/23/vindication-for-edward-snowden-from-a-new-player-in-nsa-whistleblowing-saga/

Don't forget everyone, tomorrow at 11 on HBO, Vice is doing a show on this topic.

We will be live posting from Western New York then! *

If I'm still awake ;)

Again, you've been dismissive of this entire topic (which fits your fascist leanings perfectly, mind you). Why do you care that VICE is doing a special report on it?

I dunno, why are you even replaying to me?

I dunno, why are you even replaying to me?

I'm curious. And the fact you can't even come up with an answer is actually fascinating. What's driving this obsession with VICE news? Is it the hipster take on news? Why do you suddenly care about a topic you've spent the better part of two years ridiculing?

What's your take, Herr Gator?

I'm curious. And the fact you can't even come up with an answer is actually fascinating. What's driving this obsession with VICE news? Is it the hipster take on news? Why do you suddenly care about a topic you've spent the better part of two years ridiculing?

What's your take, Herr Gator?

Hey, quit "replaying" to him. Once is enough.