When the dust of this off season settles...

Thanks. I do confess to being one of those people who thinks it all comes down to the qb, and the Bills are just so far away. Look at the Steelers ,for instance--they've had some truly mediocre teams overall in the last half decade plus, but they are almost always in it because of the qb. Once every 3-4 years or so they'll go 8-8, and it'll be regarded by their fans as a disaster. Because of the Bills' qb situation, if they go 8-8 (which is what they would have gone last year if the Pats actually tried in the final game) people have visions of the SB next season. It's kind of sad. I for one hope that they draft a qb in either round 2 or 3, and preferably rd 2 if they believe in the player. You can't give up on drafting one just because you think EJ is the guy and it doesn't work out.

Anyway, the league is built around qbs, and the Bills currently don't have one. I'm not faulting anyone for not getting one given the offerings, but let's be real -- they're a mediocre team if they go into the season with the qbs they have.

cannot agree more with this...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly post on other boards. Perhaps this one is different.

I have not noticed a lot of Pollyanna posters, unless one is going to define those who like the direction Whaley and OBD is taking as inherently Pollyanna.

I don't think that's fair. Irrational optimism and rational optimism are not equivalent. If one declares optimism in this case irrational, one is simply begging the question.

I like our moves. Most posters I read did not want McCown. He isn't any good.

My guess is OBD viewed McCown and Cassel as similar talents. (I personally think Cassel is slightly better. He at least has a few winning seasons in his track record.)

Regardless, McCown could have been had for the price of a contract. Cassel required draft picks, so that could easily explain why they went after McCown first, no?

What have we done this off-season? We retained Hughes. People seem to gloss over this, but if he had gone elsewhere they wouldn't.

Bringing in Felton and Incognito improves the blocking. Bulaga did not want to leave GB. Iupati wanted to stay near the West Coast.

I suspect we will bring in more o-line help via free agency, trade, or draft.

The real weakness on the team was offense. We replaced Doug Marrone, Nate Hackett, and Pat Morris with Rex Ryan, Greg Roman, and Aaron Kromer. How is that not a significant upgrade? We brought in one of the premier running backs, and added a talented, but character issue playmaker on a one year contract. On paper, few teams have a McCoy, Watkins, and Harvin. That should be hard to game plan for. That should help even a game manager qb.

Grade is still incomplete, but I don't see optimism as Pollyanna irrationalism by any stretch.

If that was the case why did New Orleans miss the playoffs last year? Why has Atlanta looked horrible the last 2 years? Why did San Diego miss the playoffs 4 of the past 5 years with Philip Rivers? Why did Dallas miss the playoffs 4 straight years before this year with Tony Romo? Maybe because they didn't have an offensive line that helped their RB run for almost 1900 yards?

It's not all about the QB. It's a big piece of the puzzle but if that was all it was the same teams would make the playoffs every year

Edited by matter2003

If that was the case why did New Orleans miss the playoffs last year? Why has Atlanta looked horrible the last 2 years? Why did San Diego miss the playoffs 4 of the past 5 years with Philip Rivers? Why did Dallas miss the playoffs 4 straight years before this year with Tony Romo? Maybe because they didn't have an offensive line that helped their RB run for almost 1900 yards?

It's not all about the QB. It's a big piece of the puzzle but if that was all it was the same teams would make the playoffs every year

Right. You have to look at a team collectively.

I still think EJ may turn out alright, btw.

Right. You have to look at a team collectively.

I still think EJ may turn out alright, btw.

I don't know about EJ..depends on if his flaws are correctable. Typically low completion percentage and horrible ball placement are not fixable, IMO

B/C they didnt have a top def...put our def those teams go to the playoffs

Thanks. I do confess to being one of those people who thinks it all comes down to the qb, and the Bills are just so far away.

Anyway, the league is built around qbs, and the Bills currently don't have one. I'm not faulting anyone for not getting one given the offerings, but let's be real -- they're a mediocre team if they go into the season with the qbs they have.

I fully agree. As I had written several times over the past couple of years, the problem began a long time back and Nix continued it by not recognizing the value of getting a QB first and foremost. To date, we are struggling to get that ethereal 'franchise' QB. I am willing to settle for an above-average one as well but signs appear weak so far.

Short of that, the FO is doing the second best thing possible - building the remaining team as strong as they can. Can't fault them for that but also I agree with you that results may still be underwhelming without a significant jump in competence by EJ.