30 for 30 on Christian Laettner

YoloinOhio

it is a must see, no matter which side of the coin you are on, as a long time Cuse fan, I could only wonder what it would have been like with him playing for JB for 4 years, instead of the one or two and done that go on now

Edited by rumblefish

I've only watched half so far. It's weird to me that they showed the 1991 UNLV game, then didn't even show a second of them winning the championship.

It's right up Simmons' tree when there are all these references to hip hop and the Karate Kid, and stuff I wasn't thinking at all about at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Something that I was just listening to reminded me to post this. Did anybody catch Laettner running away from the fight between Nichols and South Park? Probably a smart thing to do with the career he had ahead, but it didn't fit it well with all the talk about how tough he was and what a bully he was.

• 2 months later...

Finally watched it tonight, right after the show on Shaq and Dale Brown.

While I wasn't a Duke fan. A friend (sort of) from high school became a total butthead while attending Duke. Duke this, Duke that. But I respected the BB team and certainly rooted for them against the Fab 5. But I never hated Laettner.

But after watching the special, I get it. He really was an arrogant bully. Confidence is great, arrogance is not. Contrasting his personality to Shaq's really put a spotlight on how easy it was to hate Chris Laettner. Shaq came off as very humble and thankful. Chris as, well, a frat boy jerk.

Something that I was just listening to reminded me to post this. Did anybody catch Laettner running away from the fight between Nichols and South Park? Probably a smart thing to do with the career he had ahead, but it didn't fit it well with all the talk about how tough he was and what a bully he was.

Well it does jive with the bully image, IMO. Bullies tend to be cowards. Pick on those weaker than them, but run from real danger.

Finally watched it tonight, right after the show on Shaq and Dale Brown.

While I wasn't a Duke fan. A friend (sort of) from high school became a total butthead while attending Duke. Duke this, Duke that. But I respected the BB team and certainly rooted for them against the Fab 5. But I never hated Laettner.

But after watching the special, I get it. He really was an arrogant bully. Confidence is great, arrogance is not. Contrasting his personality to Shaq's really put a spotlight on how easy it was to hate Chris Laettner. Shaq came off as very humble and thankful. Chris as, well, a frat boy jerk.

Well it does jive with the bully image, IMO. Bullies tend to be cowards. Pick on those weaker than them, but run from real danger.

Spot on Deano. One thing stuck out to me. Laetner's sister said, "why did people hate him, because he was good at what he does?" No people hated him because he was a first class grade A A-hole. Even his teammates didn't like him.