Chris Johnson shot ?

Visiting Sarasota, FL right now to see family. We used to live here and LOVE it. Currently 79 degrees and I'd move back in a heartbeat! Soon I return to the Atlanta area, where my son was shot a few blocks from the Falcons home opener last season. He's got some lasting issues that hopefully PT can correct due to nerve damage (they take FOREVER to regenerate!). He still lacks full use of his left hand. Time and place are critical to be aware of anywhere. He knew he was in a sketchy area, but went anyway. You shouldn't be shot for that, but you need to be aware - always. I know where to go if I want to get shot here, though. And I know 4:00am is generally a bad idea anywhere.

Edited by Augie

I'm great now! This was back in 2012.

Florida just seems like the rest of the country's rejects. They all flock there to 'start over', but just end up shooting people (in my personal experience)

That's been my impression every time I've ever visited Florida going back more than 30 years.

Don't get me wrong....I've had great times visiting Miami, Port St Lucie, Amelia Island, Key Largo, etc., but it's very easy to see the difference between vacation reality and real-life reality in FL.

p.s. anyone else assume this was a thread about Chris Johnson's declining football skills?

Statistics, no. But I do have a bullet wound scar on my chest, and another one in my back where it (eventually) came out.

My personal experience covers around Orlando, where I lived, and met thousands of people. I think that's a pretty decent sample size.

Please understand, I'm not trivializing what you went through and I am glad you're okay and the shooter is locked up. Sincerely glad.

I get that a lot of bad things happen in Florida. But in what state does a lot of bad things NOT happen? People get shot everywhere.

I looked (quickly) at some stats on gun violence per capita in the U.S., and Florida consistently came up in the 20th area. Never in the top 10, even.

I've only been to Florida once in my life, so I have no allegiance to it, or anything.

Again ... I hope I never have to go through what you did, and I'm very happy you were able to make it. Please don't misconstrue any of what I'm saying as otherwise.