Separate ball for punting?

I believe they originally went w/ distinct K balls as kickers & punters were using balls that were "broken in", allowing for much more consistent, if not better, kicking & punting.

With the recent (dramatic) improvement in punting (& kicking) I wonder if they haven't altered that requirement.

was that the 1 of the 12 that was not deflated for the Pats? i don't know if they ever said so but that would make sense if the one that wasn't deflated was the one that they use for kicking

Pretty sure (but my memory is bad) that the various reports distinguished between the 12 Pats balls that were at issue and the Pats' kickers' balls. Somewhere they said that both team has 12 balls for regular plays and then some number of K-balls.

kj

Any one find it absurd that they are considering rules like a 35 yard extra point and making the goal posts narrower while continuing to let kickers use a separate ball?

They're not letting the kickers use a separate ball; they are forcing the kickers to use a separate ball. This rule was instituted to make it more difficult for kickers, not easier.