N.O. Saints ownership in turmoil

Sounds like things are getting very messy in the Benson family.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/01/rita_benson_leblanc_tom_benson.html

Might this be a situation worth watching this offseason? If the organization starts to go south, might they decide a certain star quarterback's contract is too rich for them to keep around?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24409159/saints-qb-drew-brees-willing-to-restructure-contract-to-help-team

Just dreaming. For now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its far from questionable. Some of the family got cut out and they are pissed. its happened in pretty much every major new orleans family the last 2-3 years (kerns who do mardi gras, brennans with the restaurant empire). its just trendy around these parts for the rich!

Sounds like things are getting very messy in the Benson family.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/01/rita_benson_leblanc_tom_benson.html

Might this be a situation worth watching this offseason? If the organization starts to go south, might they decide a certain star quarterback's contract is too rich for them to keep around?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24409159/saints-qb-drew-brees-willing-to-restructure-contract-to-help-team

Just dreaming. For now.

Start a Brees in Buffalo thread!! Provides great fun when people think you are saying its gunna happen

i think its far from questionable. Some of the family got cut out and they are pissed. its happened in pretty much every major new orleans family the last 2-3 years (kerns who do mardi gras, brennans with the restaurant empire). its just trendy around these parts for the rich!

from what I read yesterday...this is just the hottie younger wife making sure she gets hers ....no?

Read like a movie script

There is more to this story than has come out yet...

that i do not doubt. this has been an issue for quite some time.

wasnt Rita suspended long term a couple years ago and im sure you would know better than i - stories of like 30 direct assistants fired/quit in 5 years? ive seen words like "abrasive" "grumpy" and "entitled" in the past. Rita and Gayle seem to hate each other. and of course the storylines of the younger woman swooping in are very cliche.

Edited by NoSaint

that i do not doubt. this has been an issue for quite some time.

wasnt Rita suspended long term a couple years ago and im sure you would know better than i - stories of like 30 direct assistants fired/quit in 5 years? ive seen words like "abrasive" "grumpy" and "entitled" in the past. Rita and Gayle seem to hate each other. and of course the storylines of the younger woman swooping in are very cliche.

Yes, that is all true (check your PM)

I would hardly call Gayle the "hot young wife" like Bob Kraft's gf. I think that Gayle is like 67 years old and a classy lady by most accounts. She seems pretty together. The family is obviously trying to control that empire and feels that Gayle just popped in the picture for the $ (after all she is wife #3). This thing is FAR from over and many nasty things will come out.

I would hardly call Gayle the "hot young wife" like Bob Kraft's gf. I think that Gayle is like 67 years old and a classy lady by most accounts. She seems pretty together. The family is obviously trying to control that empire and feels that Gayle just popped in the picture for the $ (after all she is wife #3). This thing is FAR from over and many nasty things will come out.

very fair on the characterization of gayle - though with Tom at 87 she is 20 years younger!

im sure this will be very ugly, and its a shame that families end up like that. but ill echo your sentiment that its not something we need to watch for crazy dramatic changes in ownership immediately and qbs being cut suddenly

So is the owner justified, equally culpable or both?

So is the owner justified, equally culpable or both?

I think that both is probably the right way to characterize it. That is part of the reason that it is going to get so nasty. Each side has a point but there is a good deal of "dirt" on one another that could appear if they decide to stoop to those levels. Benson has virtually lost his mind but that has nothing to do with the fact that the team may be better off in Gayle's hands than Rita's. The family is saying that Gayle swooped in and took advantage of their senile father/grandfather. Tom is basically saying that he thinks that his entitled kids/grandkids are not the right people to control the future of the franchises.

I don't think that you are her type