A backup to Losman?

JP-era

Quincy Carter plus JP the bills will be in last place.

Drew Bledsoe gives the bills the best chance. Most of you are in deep denial.

Great teams take time to build. The buffalo bills are just one season away from a playoff berth.

1. the offensive line needs tremendous help

2. need a reliable TE

3. need a #3 WR

4. Secondary help

This will all be addressed this off season. The buffalo bills will win there first game of the 2005 season right down to the playoffs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quincy Carter plus JP the bills will be in last place.

Drew Bledsoe gives the bills the best chance. Most of you are in deep denial.

Great teams take time to build. The buffalo bills are just one season away from a playoff berth.

1. the offensive line needs tremendous help

2. need a reliable TE

3. need a #3 WR

4. Secondary help

This will all be addressed this off season. The buffalo bills will win there first game of the 2005 season right down to the playoffs.

229812[/snapback]

Speaking of DEEEP Denial! Hello! 0:)

absolutely agree on Drew, BUT he HAS to take that paycut!

229723[/snapback]

Drew cannot take a paycut. He can restructure his contract and give us cap relief this year, but the money would still be accounted for by extension. The bargaining agreement forbids paycuts, which is why you've NEVER heard of a player taking a paycut. They all restructure. Sometimes a player may add years that he knows he'll never see which equates to a paycut, but in Drews case it would mean giving him more bonus money and creating dead space beyond 2006. I'd rather not have us do that.

I forsee Drew staying in Buffalo with his present deal in place. Wether he starts or not comes down to camp, and preseason battles. If JP wants it bad enough he'll get it. If the battle in camp is close or a tie then JP is the man.

he does you idiot

Drew starts until he proves he shouldnt next year

the way he ended the season with a win streak (besides the pitts game) has locked him in place for the start

229805[/snapback]

hmmm, with the playoffs on the line, he throws for 189 yards, 53%, no TD's, 1 INT, sacked 3 times, 2 fumbles..1 returned for a TD, and all of this agianst Pitts 3rd stringers!!! Your kidding me right? I thought we wanted to go to the playoffs?

OK, fine, Drew starts. How much faith do you have in Drew beating NE even once next year? This year:

1) 247 yards, 1TD, 1INT, 60 percent, sacked 7 times, and 1 fumble returned for a TD that sealed the game.

2) 76 yards, 0 TD's, 3 INT's, 42 percent, sacked 2 times

So, he cant win games with the playoffs on the line against 3rd stringers, he sure as hell cant play even decent or win against NE. That means we WONT win our division, and we cant trust him to win a game that puts us in as a wildcard.

How much longer do you want to be out of the playoffs?

Why has everyone forgotten about trying to win the division? Wouldnt it be nice to have home field advantage for even one game? how about throughout? how about a first round bye?

I just dont see the logic.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree! Drew has shown us everything we need to see at this point.

Drew cannot take a paycut. He can restructure his contract and give us cap relief this year, but the money would still be accounted for by extension. The bargaining agreement forbids paycuts, which is why you've NEVER heard of a player taking a paycut. They all restructure. Sometimes a player may add years that he knows he'll never see which equates to a paycut, but in Drews case it would mean giving him more bonus money and creating dead space beyond 2006. I'd rather not have us do that.

I forsee Drew staying in Buffalo with his present deal in place. Wether he starts or not comes down to camp, and preseason battles. If JP wants it bad enough he'll get it. If the battle in camp is close or a tie then JP is the man.

229816[/snapback]

Im not sure of the facts, but I dont think thats true. I think its happened several times. Im not so sure that contracts cant simply be bought out and then an entire new one is started. Even if he restructured, I think it can be done such that we could let him go long before its over and save on the next few years cap.

If Drew's cap number doesnt change, no GM in the world would keep him, IMO! You simply cant justify paying Drew 6.5 mil when Tom Brady is only paid 5.5.

If Drew wont fix his cap number somehow, TD will cut him, IMO.

Look, Im off this topic now. We will all have to just wait and see what happens with Drew. The horse has been mashed into nano-particles at this point. Im walking away from this topic. Theres lots of other stuff to discuss.

0:)

Alot of faith that drew can beat the pats new coordinators schemes. They will probably bomb out. The end of the pats starts tonight at 6:30.

229823[/snapback]

Im ALL for that sister!

Pats go down and never earn the dynasty label!

Screw em!

Again, Ill respectfully disagree on the comment about new coordinators changing the Pats "beat-ability".

0:)

Alot of faith that drew can beat the pats new coordinators schemes. They will probably bomb out. The end of the pats starts tonight at 6:30.

229823[/snapback]

BTW, how do you like the helmet I threw together? I still need to work on the buffalo a bit. Im fond of a throwback type with a white helmet. Maybe the buffalo shoulod be red, outer slash red, and top stripes blue?

I think ill try it out.

Bledsoe gives the Bills the best chance to once again have a mediocre offense and come up just short of the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. Anyone who thinks Bledsoe can take the Bills to the playoffs are the ones in deep, deep, deep denial. I would rather the Bills go 0-16 with Losman and build for the future now than suffer through another Bledsoe disaster and rebuild next year. However, the Steelers game cost Bledsoe his job in Buffalo and Losman will be better than anybody thinks and the Bills will make the playoffs in 05' as long as Bledsoe is gone.

News out of NYC today via WFAN that Quincy Carter has re-entered drug rehab this weekend.  Heard it on the radio this morning, but can't find a link.  I'd pass on this guy.

229789[/snapback]

Mort just said something about Carter being bipolar & the rehab is tied to depression. Here's a link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1985703

He only signed a one year deal with the Jets and screwed himself with his off the field problems. But, he did play pretty decent for the Cowboys, and could be had for probably the league minimum.

Would you take a guy who could start for us if he had to, with a checkered past, if you could get him for the league minimum?

I might take that chance!

229718[/snapback]

why the hell would you want that junkie on your team??

seems like your ideas get sillier and sillier man.......when are you going to figure out keeping drew around is a smarter move then going out and replacing him with some washed up vet who doesn't know the offense which results in basically the same cap hit as keeping drew.....

quincy carter....jeez, what is next......

seems like your ideas get sillier and sillier man.......when are you going to figure out keeping drew around is a smarter move then going out and replacing him with some washed up vet who doesn't know the offense which results in basically the same cap hit as keeping drew.....

229901[/snapback]

The problem is that Drew does not want competition or being a backup. Therefore, he will let the Bills know if he's not the starter he's gone. What would you rather have us do, give Drew the bonus $ due him on 3/1 & have him quit just before opening day if JP is named the starter. Or- prepare ahead by letting Drew go before we give him any more $, and get a veteran backup (who you would call washed up). It's Drew's attitude that's made this situation. If he said something like "I'll be on this team & be supportive whether I'm the starter or backup, but I plan on being the starter" instead of "It's my team" I'd be in favor of bringing him back. Otherwise, lets get a cheaper statue.

Bledsoe gives the Bills the best chance to once again have a mediocre offense and come up just short of the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. Anyone who thinks Bledsoe can take the Bills to the playoffs are the ones in deep, deep, deep denial. I would rather the Bills go 0-16 with Losman and build for the future now than suffer through another Bledsoe disaster and rebuild next year. However, the Steelers game cost Bledsoe his job in Buffalo and Losman will be better than anybody thinks and the Bills will make the playoffs in 05' as long as Bledsoe is gone.

229889[/snapback]

I think this thread is on the right track because it has led to advocating that Bledsoe restructure to lower his cap hit and essentially take a deal which will guarantee that he retires as a Bill, but has a second team QB cap hit and salary.

I think TD is doing the right thing by giving Bledsoe a stark choice between saying bye-bye (though the cap hit we will endure from him leaving us will likely cripple our chances to win in '05 unless JP suddenly blossoms and also stays healthy) or agreeing to a contract which will lower his cap hit (by extending the deal so he retires as a Bill) but in exchange give him a real chance to win the starting QB job on the field.

I think that the likely and best course for the Bills is for Bledsoe to accept a lower cap hit, to compete with JP on the field, and to have JP win the starter's job and Bledsoe does the same job he was forced into by injury of helping the young Brady to develop, stepping in when he was hurt and successfully playing QB in the majority of a must-win game and then gracefully stepping back when Brady came back to win the SB.

The alternative is to cut Bledsoe because he can't deal with the realities of time and the Bills take an accelerated cap hit when we cut him before his March payment. Even though Bledsoe's '05 cap hit for the Bills will be lower for taking the accelerated bonus than his current contract, when one adds in the cost of buying another QB to be #2 to JP, the combined cap hit of the new QB and Bledsoe's deadspace may well prove fatal to our chances to build a winning team.

Bledsoe is almost certainly not good enough to be the starter for a winning '05 Bills team (if the ST or the D had performed against Pittsburgh the way they performed during the winning streak they actually would have delivered a playoff start to Bledsoe) but I think if he will accept it he would be a great back-up QB for the Bills because:

1. He has a clear track record of helping young QBs become productive based on the way Tom Brady sings his praises.

2. He has been to the SB before when he led the Pats there under Parcells and even as a winner when he was part of the NE tea, led by Brady.

3. He has seen a lot of football and recognizes a lot though he has not shown a consistent ability to translate this knowledge into winning play by him because he falls back into his old bad pattting habits.

4. He has played QB successfully in the majority of a must-win game during the Pats SB run. he was not successful in racking up the glistening stats some posters seem to want, but the team won the game with him at QB which is all I ever wanted from Frank Reich and all I will ever want from my #2. It would be wonderful if the #2 played like Favre or Elway, but #2s do not play like Favre or Elway or they are not #2s. Bledsoe's play against Pitts is some proof that he was not capable of being NE's starter, but it was a great game for him as NE' back-up cause he just won baby.

I will easily trade Bledsoe a fair shot at beating JP on the field in a dual for the starter's job in exchange for him being the same team player he was for NE if he loses that battle to a developing JP.

My guess is that JP wins that battle because he actually will have a lower standard of success than Bledsoe. JP will "merely" have to meet the difficult test of showing that he is ready by giving us a fair but not perfect chance of winning next year while he develops. In would argue that the braintrust should only declare Bledsoe the winner of an on-field battle for starter IF he demonstrates that he will continue the same rate of progress in his production in '05 that he demonstrated when he was more productive in '04 than he was in '03.

He wan an inadequate QB in '04 but in my judgment he was a far more productive player in '04 than his horrendous play in '03. He not only maintained the good elements of his '02-03 play:

1. He can throw the ball accurately downfield as seen by his bombs to Evans.Moulds and Price.Moulds.

2. His arm strength really allows him to be a more effective foul weather QB than many of his opponents. hey both struggle but Bledsoe is still a threat to pass in fould weather while many opponents prove to be even worse.

3. He's a big boy who can take a lot of hits and abuse without season-ending injury (unfortunately this was mostly from big sacks in 02-03) and a smaller man would have seen the IR if they were sacked as much as he was.

He also demonstrated that while its hard to teach and old dog new tricks, you can get him to run old tricks he already knew and Kevin Killdrive abandoned including:

1. He simply ran some great fakes and successfully ran flea-flickers like the fake sneak and McGahee scamper after a Bledsoe fake and pitch and several plays where WM pitched it back to him and he threw downfield strikes to Evans/Moulds

2. He and the Bills successfully used Bledsoe running the QB draw a few times which along with a scheme which successfull sent WM outside forced the defense to wait and see what we were doing rather than simply commit to the all out blitz because they knew Bledsoe could not be effective against it and Killdrive was going to throw on even 3rd and short.

I think Bledsoe will lose a fair battle with Losman because I was impressed with Losman's development last year despite the injury and only doing mop-up appearances and because I think that Bledsoe is not capable of carrying this team if the ST and the D simply barf as they did against Pittsburgh. However, I admit i was wrong in not expecting any improvement in Bledsoe's play in '04 when I advocated cutting him, and I could well be wrong now in judging that JP will beat him out because Bledsoe improved last year but has maxed out.

We'll see.

If slamming makes you feel good about yourself, hey slam on!

Why am i picturing you as a pencil necked geek with no friends who was constantly picked on at school, lunch money constantly stolen, no girl-friends, whos got hand prints on the screen from all the computer high-fives?

This is the last response Im making to any of your posts, if you can manage to stick to football talk without the slams you will get more friends trust me. Until then, theres lots to talk about with people who want to talk Bills!

So basically thats a big fat....... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

229761[/snapback]

It's of no surprise that your "assumption meter" is about as accurate as your "football gauge." I'll be losing tons of sleep knowing that I'll be able to rip your idiotic takes without any fear of reprisal, as I cringed each time in the past. :lol:

Party on tard.

229901[/snapback]

Apparently the 'sick mother' story was b.s. and the reason QC missed the Jets playoff game this year was because he was in rehab.

This might be old news to some, but it was in today's NY papers. Not exactly the kind of guy I want to see on the Bills. :blink:

The dice was rolled, and they took Losman. Dub him starter before camp, give him all the snaps and see if it was a smart move or a bonehead move.

I don't understand this "what if"...agonizing about a back-up.

A gem is a rare thing - Morrell for Unitas, etc.

Put the time and effort on the kid...and don't look back.

He only signed a one year deal with the Jets and screwed himself with his off the field problems. But, he did play pretty decent for the Cowboys, and could be had for probably the league minimum.

Would you take a guy who could start for us if he had to, with a checkered past, if you could get him for the league minimum?

I might take that chance!

229718[/snapback]

News flash on your QB solution.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1985703