The salary cap no longer works as intended

BillsVet

I was doing some research today about teams that make the playoffs and the results were pretty staggering, especially in the AFC. Overall the top 11 NFL teams of the past five seasons in terms of playoff appearances account for 70% of postseason participants. The top 16 NFL teams account for about 87% of postseason appearances. That means half the league represents about one out of eight playoff appearances.

It should come as no surprise that the elite franchises of the NFL are pretty consistent reaching the postseason. In the AFC, New England, Denver, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh account for 24 playoff appearances out of 30 total going back to the 2010 season. The easy explanation is to talk about quarterback play. Yet, these franchises keep winning consistently and it's more than who is under center. If the salary cap was such an equalizing force, one would think eventually these teams would fall back to the middle. But they don't. Meanwhile you have eight AFC teams that have failed to reach the playoffs in that same span. Wasn't the salary cap intended to level competition?

No, it was not. It was intended to equalize the amount of $$ each team could spend on its players. Why would that level competition? It would help avoid "super teams" that would consistently outspend to dominate the league with poorer franchises serving as farm teams but that doesn't mean competition was intended to be close to level.

Front office, coaching, talent, quarterback, injuries, etc. all affect team performance. I don't see this as a Galileo scenario because IMO you are not understanding the purpose of the salary cap. Certain teams/franchises are just better at winning consistently.

Is 5 years truly a large enough analysis window to support your conclusions? I could find a 5 year block where the Bills were in the playoffs every year. The cowboys, niners, and seahawks (just to name a couple) have had their dry spells too. When a franchise assembles a good front office, coaching staff, and talent they tend to have good teams for more than one year. Hopefully we are going there with the Pegulas at the helm.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The salary cap is a necessary tool still imo. It levels the playing field for every team instead of just the big markets. I won't ever discuss changing it. Never would I want the NFL to be like MLB which system is a joke.

MLB system is not a joke. Look at the World Series teams since 2000 vs the NFL and the numbers are a lot closer then a NFL fan would realize:

MLB: 17 different teams have made it to the World Series

NFL: 18 different franchises have made it to the Super Bowl

The whole 'salary cap keeps things so much more competitive' argument to me is a bit overrated.

Edited by Like A Mofo

That's because of the way baseball THE GAME is set up. Not the salary cap structure. In baseball there is only one position that can truly take over a game, and that is the pitcher. Those guys get rotated and don't play every game like a QB, so it's impossible to have one position truly dominate in baseball for a team the way a QB can.

Entirely untrue that the only player that can take over the game is the pitcher.

MLB system is not a joke. Look at the World Series teams since 2000 vs the NFL and the numbers are a lot closer then a NFL fan would realize:

MLB: 17 different teams have made it to the World Series

NFL: 18 different franchises have made it to the Super Bowl

The whole 'salary cap keeps things so much more competitive' argument to me is a bit overrated.

Jason Stark did a great piece on this, and I've posted it here before. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Again, MLB has far more parity than the NFL.

I'll concede the point - you guys are making convincing arguments.

But, as a Bills fan, I'm still glad were in a position - thanks to revenue sharing and the salary cap - to spend as much as the big market teams.

I never expected, though, that either would provide perfect parity. And I'm not sure I'd want perfect parity. I don't want to feel random luck determines the Super Bowl winner - and the distribution of SB wins. I like thinking this is a merit based system.

one other point I would like to make

There is only 1 team that has been "superior" in the past 15 years in the NFL....

no one wants to question how that happened? ... See the hottest topic and one of the hottest trending items #shrinkage and #Deflategaste

You don't think pairing arguably the best coach with arguably the best QB has anything to do with their dynasty? Not to mention a good FO.

The Pats are schmucks for cheating but I doubt if cheating has garnered them very many wins.

one other point I would like to make

There is only 1 team that has been "superior" in the past 15 years in the NFL....

no one wants to question how that happened? ... See the hottest topic and one of the hottest trending items #shrinkage and #Deflategaste

Warden Samuel Norton from Shawshank Prison described what I think you're getting at:

"This is a conspiracy, that's what it is. One... big... damn conspiracy! And everyone's in on it, including *her*!

Government, NFL, Patriots...one big conspiracy. I'll bet Kraft bought off Tagliabue and then Goodell.

You don't think pairing arguably the best coach with arguably the best QB has anything to do with their dynasty? Not to mention a good FO.

The Pats are schmucks for cheating but I doubt if cheating has garnered them very many wins.

you are asking me if I believe a 6th round QB paired with a coach that bends all of the rules, and that has a Patriotic Tuck Rule given to them along with the other Tom Brady enforced NFL Rules is the greatest of all time?

nope couldn't have imagined it.