Russell Wilson to sign richest NFL Contract

I'm so glad we took that great wideout TJ Graham. Nothing like passing on

A great QB and leader. I'm still pissed we did not draft him

I pleaded with the TV set on Draft day to please draft Wilson.

Man what could have been

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456017/article/seahawks-to-make-russell-wilson-highestpaid-qb

Edited by billsareback

I remember watching and when we traded up hoping he would be the pick. It was Buddy's defining move as a GM. He kept talking about getting a QB and although he had completly ignored the position in previous drafts until that point, Wilson was pretty much gift wrapped for him to take in the 3rd round and was the consensus pick for us. Many analysts thought that Wilson would be a Bill and the Seahawks were deeply concerned that the Bills just pulled one over on them and moved in front to take Wilson. But guess what, aw no, we had to go and ruin that with a little thing called TJ Graham. A niche reciever who never once caught the ball with any sort of contact whatsoever.

I do think the Gailey probably convinced Nix that he could win with Fitz and a receiver like Graham would be great in his system, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible pick. Buddy Nix's legacy.

Edited by Proteus

In all seriousness, if Wilson would have stayed at NC State (in the Southeast - Nix's territory) there is a better chance he would have been on the Bills' board. It would have been impossible to ignore who was throwing the ball to Graham among other things.

Wilson's decision to commit to baseball and Tom O'Brien (NC State HC) subsequently releasing him from his scholarship created some smoke that scared some NFL scouts. "Is this guy Drew Henson or John Elway?" Even with his success at Wisconsin. I am sure scouts asked O'Brien about Wilson and he probably changed the subject to talk about Mike Glennon...Wilson's replacement at NC State.

The best thing that happened for Wilson is that he tried baseball, got it out of his system, and came back to football. Who better than Pete Carroll to ignore the smoke and pick Russell Wilson?

Better "what could have been"? Keeping Pete Carroll past 1984 after the Bills gave him his first job in pro football (Def. Backs Cach).

Edited by 217014170

I remember watching and when we traded up hoping he would be the pick. It was Buddy's defining move as a GM. He kept talking about getting a QB and although he had completly ignored the position in previous drafts until that point, Wilson was pretty much gift wrapped for him to take in the 3rd round and was the consensus pick for us. Many analysts thought that Wilson would be a Bill and the Seahawks were deeply concerned that the Bills just pulled one over on them and moved in front to take Wilson. But guess what, aw no, we had to go and ruin that with a little thing called TJ Graham. A niche reciever who never once caught the ball with any sort of contact whatsoever.

I do think the Gailey probably convinced Nix that he could win with Fitz and a receiver like Graham would be great in his system, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible pick. Buddy Nix's legacy.

I pretty much could have written this post myself, exactly like this. Especially when Nix made some comments about Wilson before the draft to the effect that "you can't measure heart and drive" (not exact quote) and all the stuff he said about how "if you wait until you need a QB to draft one you've waited too long"

My only question is would they ignore him to draft Foles or Cousins because of his size. Well hey y'all watch this.

In fairness, every team passed on him multiple times. He went to the perfect team where he got to have a top defense and running game carry him early on. His stats through the first half of his rookie year were almost identical to EJ. Dumb fans would have wanted him benched and wanted some washed up journeyman to start over him. He's not the same player if he goes to Jacksonville.

That said, we probably should have drafted him over Graham. :) but Seattle did a great job developing him and let's not pretend it would be exactly the same if he went else where.

That said, it's makes me want Bevell even more. And got for Wilson. He's earned it.

In fairness, every team passed on him multiple times. He went to the perfect team where he got to have a top defense and running game carry him early on. His stats through the first half of his rookie year were almost identical to EJ. Dumb fans would have wanted him benched and wanted some washed up journeyman to start over him. He's not the same player if he goes to Jacksonville.

That said, we probably should have drafted him over Graham. :) but Seattle did a great job developing him and let's not pretend it would be exactly the same if he went else where.

That said, it's makes me want Bevell even more. And got for Wilson. He's earned it.

Why would someone want the QB benched if they were winning games?

Why would someone want the QB benched if they were winning games?

They were winning inspire of him early in his career.

EJ left the field 3 times as a rookie with the lead in games we eventually lost (NE, ATL, & Cle). Seattle's D dorant blow those games.

Wilson won a playoff game against Drew Bree's with 100 yards passing. He doesn't have to carry a team. As a result, he has been allowed to develop properly.

Going to the right situation as a qb is just as important as talent sometimes.

Yeah, and stupid Bills passing on tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers also!

When Brady got benched as a senior in college, I was screaming he would win 3 Sbs one day!

By the time QB's get to the NFL they are mostly developed. Wilson was very good his rookie season and was going to be great no matter where he went. Assuming that he wouldn't have developed as well with another team is a falsehood.

Also every team did pass on him but not every team needed a QB and we did as bad as anyone. He was the consensus pick for us in the 3rd amongst analysts and fans, just like Ngata was and just like Orakpo was. What happened? The Bills got cute and took an unknown receiver who everyone considered a reach and was more of a track athlete than a football player. Classic Bills out thinking themselves. It was an absolutely unforgivable pick by Nix. Stop trying to make Nix seem like he was a good GM.

Edited by Proteus

They were winning inspire of him early in his career.

EJ left the field 3 times as a rookie with the lead in games we eventually lost (NE, ATL, & Cle). Seattle's D dorant blow those games.

Wilson won a playoff game against Drew Bree's with 100 yards passing. He doesn't have to carry a team. As a result, he has been allowed to develop properly.

Going to the right situation as a qb is just as important as talent sometimes.

When Brady got benched as a senior in college, I was screaming he would win 3 Sbs one day!

I'm referring to your assertion that fans would want him benched. Why would they? They were winning games. What was his record though his first 14 starts?

Nix started talking QB after it was clear in 2012 that Fitzpatrick wasn't getting this team further along. IIRC, it was about November 2012 or so.