O-Line and QB regression theory

Superb Owl

In the midst of addictively following coaching news, I thought of something that can explain something we've been troubled by this year

Namely, WTF is going on with QBs and O-Line seeming to regress

What makes more sense, is they are not regressing, but the D-Lines are improving.

Exhibit A. Cleveland Browns

Hoyer started the year playing so well the team was thinking about extending him. Their O-Line was amazing to watch, consistently forming a synchronized wall. Their no-name receivers were super productive. When their pro bowl center Alex Mack went down everything changed, taking Hoyer's hopes down with him

Exhibit B. Dallas Cowboys

Top rushing and passing offense in the league. Because of the best O-Line in the league. I wonder if Jerry remembered that about his dominant super bowl winning O-Lines, and focused on building that area

I believe we could be in a time of increasing importance on the O-Line, as a needed reaction to a few years of increased D-Line focus, and possibly especially DT and interior pressure focus

The Brown's GM Ray Farmer was asked after the season about passing on all the receivers in the 2014 draft, he said he doesn't regret it at all, nor does he feel the need to draft one in 2015. He said that is because Offensive Linemen affect every play, and receivers just a fraction of the total plays.

So what you saying is we need a better offensive line?

If that theory is right, i.e. the cause is D Lines improving nearly across the board, then a shift might be needed in how to build offensively. It would explain why someone like Wood may have been fine, and has not regressed per se, yet still may need to be considered for replacement

In the midst of addictively following coaching news, I thought of something that can explain something we've been troubled by this year

What makes more sense, is they are not regressing, but the D-Lines are improving.

Hoyer started the year playing so well the team was thinking about extending him. Their O-Line was amazing to watch, consistently forming a synchronized wall. Their no-name receivers were super productive. When their pro bowl center Alex Mack went down everything changed, taking Hoyer's hopes down with him

Top rushing and passing offense in the league. Because of the best O-Line in the league. I wonder if Jerry remembered that about his dominant super bowl winning O-Lines, and focused on building that area

I believe we could be in a time of increasing importance on the O-Line, as a needed reaction to a few years of increased D-Line focus, and possibly especially DT and interior pressure focus

The Brown's GM Ray Farmer was asked after the season about passing on all the receivers in the 2014 draft, he said he doesn't regret it at all, nor does he feel the need to draft one in 2015. He said that is because Offensive Linemen affect every play, and receivers just a fraction of the total plays.

Okay. While I pretty much agree, why isn't Ray Farmer more worried? His QB's were both crapping the bed for the last half of the season, with protection from his highly drafted O-linemen.

I think EJM is their only hope for next season, so they better get to work on finding excellent O-linemen, a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, and an OC that can work with what EJM has.

Edited by HoF Watkins

If that theory is right, i.e. the cause is D Lines improving nearly across the board, then a shift might be needed in how to build offensively. It would explain why someone like Wood may have been fine, and has not regressed per se, yet still may need to be considered for replacement

How does the Oakland game fall into this theory? Since the're d line sucked and all. Well then the bIlls came into town.

You reminded me of a thought I had the other day regarding something either Marrone or Hackett stated, since they don't run the read-option with Orton, there was no fear of the QB keeping, so the D could attack any run play.

If you look at the 4 games with EJ, in 3/4 games the Bills averaged > 4 ypc; with Orton, they only 3/12 games had more than 4ypc. 75% vs 25% is significant. Maybe there is something with that?

Most other OLs do a better job protecting their QBs and opening lanes for their RBs.

Regardless of any theories about DLs, our OL needs to get better. That's my theory.

And whatever challenges Hackett and Marrone may have faced, every team has shortcomings in talent. The question you have do ask about coaches: did they do the best they could with the hand they were dealt? On offense, many fans feel the answer was a resounding "NO."

Most other OLs do a better job protecting their QBs and opening lanes for their RBs.

Regardless of any theories about DLs, our OL needs to get better. That's my theory.

And whatever challenges Hackett and Marrone may have faced, every team has shortcomings in talent. The question you have do ask about coaches: did they do the best they could with the hand they were dealt? On offense, many fans feel the answer was a resounding "NO."

I guess it goes back to the statement in your sig, there are always tradeoffs. Our latest 3 first rounders have gone toward skill positions (qb and wr). I'm suspecting if we had put them toward O-Line we would be lot further ahead. That is with hindsight that Manuel has not worked out, but it was a known weak year for QBs

Ray farmer should be fired if he thinks a WR only effects only a small portion of plays, or an upgrade at the line effects all plays.

Truth is more likely he needed a sound bite to match his actions.

Ray farmer should be fired if he thinks a WR only effects only a small portion of plays, or an upgrade at the line effects all plays.

Truth is more likely he needed a sound bite to match his actions.

I'm not really prepared to argue your first point, but for the second one, he was answering whether he would be using one of his first rounders this year on a WR since he passed last time. So it would seem that is part of his philosophy and not just an excuse. I guess well know after the draft