GOOD News on the job front

Well as expected the economy continues to create jobs. In August 150,000 jobs were added and as an extra little bonus, the lower then expected July numbers were revised up by some 60,000. That means that in the past two months the economy has created well over 200K new jobs.

All this while the unemployment rate dropped once again, this time to a 3 year low of 5.4%.

Now I know that all the ney sayers out there will say that "these jobs are not good jobs", or "this is no indication that things are really better" and other silly comments like that. But don't be fooled. There are more people working right now then at any time in our countries history. I for one can tell you that in my field (manufacturing sector) capital equipment sales have not been this good in nearly 6 years. I have sold more of the automation machines that I sell in the past 8 months then in the previous 18 months. My customers are booming, and hiring as well. Mind you this is in the aluminum die casting business folks...that is about as hard core manufacturing as it gets.

Anyway, my main point here is, I am amazed at how kerry and friends can turn good news like this into such doom and gloom. But I guess what really surprises me, is that some people out there actually believe what kerry and his sleezy lawyer friend are pushin.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as expected the economy continues to create jobs. In August 150,000 jobs were added and as an extra little bonus, the lower then expected July numbers were revised up by some 60,000. That means that in the past two months the economy has created well over 200K new jobs.

All this while the unemployment rate dropped once again, this time to a 3 year low of 5.4%.

Now I know that all the ney sayers out there will say that "these jobs are not good jobs", or "this is no indication that things are really better" and other silly comments like that. But don't be fooled. There are more people working right now then at any time in our countries history. I for one can tell you that in my field (manufacturing sector) capital equipment sales have not been this good in nearly 6 years. I have sold more of the automation machines that I sell in the past 8 months then in the previous 18 months. My customers are booming, and hiring as well. Mind you this is in the aluminum die casting business folks...that is about as hard core manufacturing as it gets.

Anyway, my main point here is, I am amazed at how kerry and friends can turn good news like this into such doom and gloom. But I guess what really surprises me, is that some people out there actually believe what kerry and his sleezy lawyer friend are pushin.

17266[/snapback]

I think 144 rounds down to 140 not up to 150

17266[/snapback]

Of course, if you read the fine print in addition to the headline you'd see where they mention that unemployment dropped because of all the people that stopped looking for work. And that the "150,000" jobs created was still substantially lower than expectations. Two important little qualification you "forgot" to mention.

Still...it's not a bad report. Better news than we've had the past few months, at least.

True enough, Tom.

But when all you hear is the "Economic Girlie-Men" ( I cant believe I got to use that line in proper context) whine day after day about the "lousy" economy, you cant pooh pooh when people spread the GOOD news.

This is a GOOD report....lowest unemployment since 9/11 and the SAME level as when Bill Clinton was elected the second time...during the dot-com boom.

Nothing to sneeze at.

True enough, Tom.

But when all you hear is the "Economic Girlie Men" whine day after day about the "lousy" economy, you cant pooh pooh when people spread the GOOD news.

This is what The Terminator was talking about.

17377[/snapback]

But if I take LGB to task for telling only half the story with his economic "the sky is falling!" posts, how can I not do the same to Rich when he tells only half the story too? I'm not pooh-poohing him any more than LGB...I'm calling both of them out for cherry-picking whatever facts support their own views and discarding anything that doesn't.

And I wouldn't necessarily call it a "good" report. An improvement, certainly. Fair, maybe...just because I don't like interpreting these reports in isolation. I'll call it "good" if the September numbers show it as the start of a trend of greatly increased hiring.

But if I take LGB to task for telling only half the story with his economic "the sky is falling!" posts, how can I not do the same to Rich when he tells only half the story too?  I'm not pooh-poohing him any more than LGB...I'm calling both of them out for cherry-picking whatever facts support their own views and discarding anything that doesn't.

And I wouldn't necessarily call it a "good" report.  An improvement, certainly.  Fair, maybe...just because I don't like interpreting these reports in isolation.  I'll call it "good" if the September numbers show it as the start of a trend of greatly increased hiring.

17385[/snapback]

September numbers may already have two hurricanes working against them.

(Pre-emptive excuse making!!! Christ, I MUST be a Republican.)

September numbers may already have two hurricanes working against them.

(Pre-emptive excuse making!!! Christ, I MUST be a Republican.)

17397[/snapback]

That's okay. The hurricanes are Bush's fault anyway. Didn't you see my post explaining that yesterday? :P

(Good point, though...)

Of course, if you read the fine print in addition to the headline you'd see where they mention that unemployment dropped because of all the people that stopped looking for work.  And that the "150,000" jobs created was still substantially lower than expectations.  Two important little qualification you "forgot" to mention. 

Still...it's not a bad report.  Better news than we've had the past few months, at least.

17327[/snapback]

What I heard (on CNN) this morning was that it added 144,000 and Economist were expecting 150,000.

What I heard (on CNN) this morning was that it added 144,000 and Economist were expecting 150,000.

SIX THOUSAND OFF!!!??????!!!

SEE...BUSH IS A LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUSH BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KERRY WENT TO VIETNAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hurricanes are Bush's fault. From so many blowhards in and around Florida.

Youre slacking.

Hurricanes are formed in the Atlantic...off the coast of Africa and Europe...then gain steam in the warm Carribean.

So your answer should have been:

The Hurricanes are Bush's fault. From all the jobs leaving the country and going overseas to Europe and the Carribean, due to outsourcing.

But if I take LGB to task for telling only half the story with his economic "the sky is falling!" posts, how can I not do the same to Rich when he tells only half the story too?  I'm not pooh-poohing him any more than LGB...I'm calling both of them out for cherry-picking whatever facts support their own views and discarding anything that doesn't.

And I wouldn't necessarily call it a "good" report.  An improvement, certainly.  Fair, maybe...just because I don't like interpreting these reports in isolation.  I'll call it "good" if the September numbers show it as the start of a trend of greatly increased hiring.

17385[/snapback]

hey mr tom...I a not telling only half the story. Pay attention...I just linked the story and I posted a headline. People who can read are more then welcome to read the link that I attached. It is not my intetion to comment on the entire report, that is what the board is for.

I agree with what you said, and I actually read it myself. My point is please do not assume that I am only trying to tell half of the story just because I did not qualify every single statement. The facts are in the link.....people can simply read it.

My point is basically that the elite media and lurch keep spouting off as if this is the worst economy since 1929. The fact is that more people then EVER in the history of our country are working. Unemployment is at a rather low 5.4%...and on a downward trend. Positive job growth is a positive thing.

By the way even if the job growth was 400k this past month...those who hate GWB, and the elite media would have found a reason to B word and complain that it was not 450k so what the hell is the point anyway.

hey mr tom...I a not telling only half the story. Pay attention...I just linked the story and I posted a headline. People who can read are more then welcome to read the link that I attached. It is not my intetion to comment on the entire report, that is what the board is for.

I agree with what you said, and I actually read it myself. My point is please do not assume that I am only trying to tell half of the story just because I did not qualify every single statement. The facts are in the link.....people can simply read it.

My point is basically that the elite media and lurch keep spouting off as if this is the worst economy since 1929. The fact is that more people then EVER in the history of our country are working. Unemployment is at a rather low 5.4%...and on a downward trend. Positive job growth is a positive thing.

By the way even if the job growth was 400k this past month...those who hate GWB, and the elite media would have found a reason to B word and complain that it was not 450k so what the hell is the point anyway.

18258[/snapback]

No, Mr. Rich, you posted HALF the facts.

You said job growth was good...you omitted the fact that it wasn't as good as expected.

You said unemployment went down...you omitted the fact that it went down because people stopped looking for work.

Just the exact opposite as LGB would have done (he would have said it wasn't as good as expected, and people were so distressed they weren't even looking for jobs...while not mentioning that it's still a good chunk of jobs created, and unemployment was down). The two of you are only different in direction; in principle, you're both identically dishonest.

No, Mr. Rich, you posted HALF the facts.

You said job growth was good...you omitted the fact that it wasn't as good as expected.

You said unemployment went down...you omitted the fact that it went down because people stopped looking for work. 

Just the exact opposite as LGB would have done (he would have said it wasn't as good as expected, and people were so distressed they weren't even looking for jobs...while not mentioning that it's still a good chunk of jobs created, and unemployment was down).  The two of you are only different in direction; in principle, you're both identically dishonest.

18278[/snapback]

are you working for the kerry camp? Some of your wackiness sounds the same.

You said that I am "dishonest" ..excuse me! I can do without your over officious judgement thank you very much.

The fact is I said "Job growth is good" This is not dishonest...it is a fact!

I also said " Unemployment went down" It most definately did go down. What the hell is dishonest about that?

Again, I attached the link and everyone is capable of reading it and deciding for themselves. I definately do not appreciate your comments about me being dishonest.

are you working for the kerry camp? Some of your wackiness sounds the same.

You said that I am "dishonest" ..excuse me! I can do without your over officious judgement thank you very much.

The fact is I said "Job growth is good" This is not dishonest...it is a fact!

I also said " Unemployment went down" It most definately did go down. What the hell is dishonest about that?

Again, I attached the link and everyone is capable of reading it and deciding for themselves. I definately do not appreciate your comments about me being dishonest.

18341[/snapback]

I didn't say you were a liar, I said you were dishonest. Telling only half the story is dishonest. Doesn't matter if it's you or LGB doing it. It's still dishonest.

Well here's an easy way to settle the argument, just go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics web site and you can read all about it. You can see the statistics and what they mean.

If you do, you'll be able to see the number of people who are unemployed, the number of people who are not looking any more and other groupings.

Of interest is the increase of long-term unemployed. That number is rising and is up over the previous August 2003 high. For those who are working, a recent $.05 per hour increase in pay is probably welcome news.

Anyway read it for yourselves and draw your own conclusions. Unless you prefer to have the media digest and regurgitate it for you, telling you what to "think".

How does one "stop looking for a job?" I've always been curious about that. Do they just abandon everything they owe money on and move into a cave someplace? If that's the case, how are they able to poll them?

Hey everyone. I stopped looking for a job. That's right. I'm just gonna stay home, not eat, not pay my bills, and see how long I can keep that up. There's got to be a breakable record someplace.

Everytime someone brings up that idea, I think of "History of the World." Did you bull stevestojan?