Bandit's 2015 Draft Report - OGs

PFTonNBCSN @PFTonNBCSN - Mar 31

"@TreJackson54 has the potential to be a starting guard for double-digit years in the NFL." - @RossTuckerNFL

I want the biggest, nastiest S.O.B. there is...but I still think Kouandjio (and Richardson) turn it around with this staff, in this scheme.

As for Marpet, I saw him play 20 minutes down the road at Hobart a couple times, and I just don't think he fits in this scheme, unless it's at center. A former high school teammate, and a friend of mine who coached him at Hobart his first two years, says the same thing. But he thinks he could be a pro-bowl player in a zone-blocking scheme.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

PFTonNBCSN @PFTonNBCSN - Mar 31

"@TreJackson54 has the potential to be a starting guard for double-digit years in the NFL." - @RossTuckerNFL

I want the biggest, nastiest S.O.B. there is...but I still think Kouandjio (and Richardson) turn it around with this staff, in this scheme.

As for Marpet, I saw him play 20 minutes down the road at Hobart a couple times, and I just don't think he fits in this scheme, unless it's at center. A former high school teammate, and a friend of mine who coached him at Hobart his first two years, says the same thing. But he thinks he could be a pro-bowl player in a zone-blocking scheme.

I disagree.

I think he will be a huge bust.

I really really hope he proves me wrong

CBF

I still think it may be easier to upgrade the 5 guys on OL by upgrading the OC. Call me crazy but if we have to put Wood to RG to upgrade our OL, I'm all for it.

Would it be that crazy to have Henderson-Glenn-rookie OC -Wood-Pears? or Glenn-Wood-Rookie OC-Urbik-Henderson?

Ooooh. If they're going for the vet dude cut from Chicago, I wonder if that's what they're thinking?

I haven't watched Cassel enough to really know how good his reads are, and of course that's the kind of thing that can change. My sense has been that his reads are good if he's in a relatively straightforward system, that something like Bill O'Brien or Chan Gailey runs would totally befuddle him. Why am I asking, because I think a raw center with an inexperienced QB is a very very bad idea. You either need a vet QB calling the protections or you need a vet center to help a young QB out with it, IMO.

It's worth noting that his 1st 2 years as a guard, Wood was pretty good in pass protection but I don't believe he was a strong run blocker at the time.

I wondered why they didn't pursue one of the vet FA centers - Wisneiwski from Oak or possibly De La Puente? with the idea of moving Wood to guard.

Though again, I'm not convinced Wood is "all that" as a guard and I do think he's a very good center with adequacy around him.

Edited by Hopeful

I would try to trade up in 2nd and 3rd picks for best OG and OT available. A lighter, agile OL man as a blocking TE

Kromer has his work cut out for him, and hope a stop gap player is there in the final cuts.

A tall TE to replace Chandler would be nice. Still hate to see him released.

Edited by ALF

Great stuff.

It's hindsight, but I would be curious as to how you would grade Richardson and c. Kuandjo based on their draft info and tape.

Although I didn't really do any write-ups, I liked Richardson quite a bit as a prospect that would take time to groom. I felt (and still feel) that he needed to lose some weight (about 15 lbs) and get more accustomed to playing guard (he was a tackle for 2 years).

I did not like Kouandjio at all; I just felt he was too heavy-legged and plodding, and offered zero positional versatility. I felt there was a chance that he could play RT, and that he'd either be a very good RT (doubtful) or a complete bust; no middle ground. I could still end up completely wrong, but I'll just say that his rookie year was exactly what I'd have expected.