My final thoughts on Saint Dougie

BmarvB

1) He left the team much better now than is was before he came here, I'll give him that.

2) Team attitude and the overall culture improved under his watch, I'll give him that too.

3) After consecutive 7-9 seasons (and a 4-12), 9-7 this year with a near playoff berth is looked at as a disappointment? (see #2)

4) Defense was among the worst before he came here, now it's among the best - he deserves credit for the hires on defense.

5) First winning season in a decade (he deserves credit for that on his watch)!

6) 4-2 in the division (SO WHAT if the Pats were in preseason mode in week 17).

7) A winning record at home which includes knocking off a Super Bowl contender.

8) For a guy with an offensive background, he really didn't accomplish anything in that area. In fact, the offense went backwards!

9) If he really thinks OUR media was tough on him, he ain't seen $#%! yet. Go ahead, take that Jets job!

10) Wherever you end up St Doug, you ARE taking Hackett with you, right? He ain't staying here!

11) He did what most players would have done in that situation, take the double payday (from us + his next team). He'll never get another opportunity like that again.

12) I don't agree with (or like) the way he went out here, but can't honestly say that I blame him. Thanks for stopping by and getting us going in the right direction.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the new Buffalo Bills owner, Terry Pegula, sees the positives that you just posted and decides to offer former Buffalo Bills GM Bill Polian a position with the Bills.

Polian initially accepts but when Polian sees QB Kyle Orton leave and then the HC Doug Marrone leave, Polian decides to decline Terry Pegula's employment offer.

How is all of this not a disaster for the Buffalo Bills?

Because we'll most likely end up with a coach that's better than Doug Marrone.

I just don't see that.

Bill Polian changing his mind and declining Terry Pegula's offer to join the Buffalo Bills is all the evidence anyone needs to realize that the Buffalo Bills are a disaster right now.

Doug Marrone didn't make this team better. Doug Whaley did. Marrone isn't responsible for bringing in the personnel from winning teams(Corey Graham, Brandon Spikes) and that's what changed the culture.

Screw Doug Marrone.

Marrone brought in Pettine and then Schwartz as DC, both resulting in defensive improvement.

Give credit where due.

I just don't see that.

Bill Polian changing his mind and declining Terry Pegula's offer to join the Buffalo Bills is all the evidence anyone needs to realize that the Buffalo Bills are a disaster right now.

I don't agree with 'disaster', but the Bills are at a critical crossroads right now. They can't afford to bring in the wrong coach for this team. They MUST hit with whoever they bring in for the good of the team.

I just don't see that.

Sorry, but if lack of a 72 year old former great FO man who caused a dumpster fire at his last gig causes someone to shy off, they weren't right for the job in the first place.

I just don't see that.

Polian already went on record on why he declined the job - he wanted Marrone and is too old to do the hard work of hiring a new head coach. This's a disaster averted by the Bills, since Polian freely admitted he didn't want to work hard and was obviously not "all in" from the get go.

1) He left the team much better now than is was before he came here, I'll give him that.

2) Team attitude and the overall culture improved under his watch, I'll give him that too.

3) After consecutive 7-9 seasons (and a 4-12), 9-7 this year with a near playoff berth is looked at as a disappointment? (see #2)

4) Defense was among the worst before he came here, now it's among the best - he deserves credit for the hires on defense.

8) For a guy with an offensive background, he really didn't accomplish anything in that area. In fact, the offense went backwards!

9) If he really thinks OUR media was tough on him, he ain't seen $#%! yet. Go ahead, take that Jets job!

10) Wherever you end up St Doug, you ARE taking Hackett with you, right? He ain't staying here!

11) He did what most players would have done in that situation, take the double payday (from us + his next team). He'll never get another opportunity like that again.

12) I don't agree with (or like) the way he went out here, but can't honestly say that I blame him. Thanks for stopping by and getting us going in the right direction.

The biggest problem is that Pegula, likely wanted to give 2015 to the Dougs and see what they can do. Allowing Pegula to clear house after 2015 if it didn't work out, or extend everyone if it did work out.

Now you have to hire a HC without a QB, and with a GM that is on short lease.

Any quality HC candidate would smell this in heartbeat.

If it were 2016 with a clean house and new GM/HC it would be easier to find people.

This tentative situation the Bills are in, is going to make it difficult to find basically, an interim Head Coach and an interim Free Agent QB.

Marrone's money grab messes up the lslow and steady approach that Pegula was likely going to take.

It means in 2015 we get a second tier HC and a 3rd Tier QB.

That is why I think promoting Schwartz is the smartest move.

It shows quick decisive move (I believe you can avoid the Rooney rule with an internal promotion). Looks the ship down for 2015.

**** can Marron's little buddy ASAP, promote Donnie Henderson or Pepper Johnson to DC, then part of the OC interview process is, "What is your plan at QB?"

Ultimately a FA QB is going to be interviewing the OC to see if it is a good fit for them. So the OC that is brought is critical in finding a FA QB in 2015.

I think you're being really objective and I agree with a lot of your points. But #12 was in his control, and yes, he could've and should've done it better and for that I do blame him. Classless.

Polian already went on record on why he declined the job - he wanted Marrone and is too old to do the hard work of hiring a new head coach. This's a disaster averted by the Bills, since Polian freely admitted he didn't want to work hard and was obviously not "all in" from the get go.

Correct. Pollian was not a solution he was a distraction.

He was going to take Buddy's 1 year advisory gig, Polian wasn't being brought on to take over Football operations.

In the end Pollian got a post mortem FU to Ralph by causing this distraction.

So the new Buffalo Bills owner, Terry Pegula, sees the positives that you just posted and decides to offer former Buffalo Bills GM Bill Polian a position with the Bills.

Polian initially accepts but when Polian sees QB Kyle Orton leave and then the HC Doug Marrone leave, Polian decides to decline Terry Pegula's employment offer.

How is all of this not a disaster for the Buffalo Bills?

This team was never going to live or die by Polian's presence. It's not a disaster.

I think you're being really objective and I agree with a lot of your points. But #12 was in his control, and yes, he could've and should've done it better and for that I do blame him. Classless.

To Clarify:

I can't blame him for taking the money and running, but like you, I also feel the way he did is was classless. He could have done it much better than that.

I just don't see that.

You have to view this as an opportunity rather than a disaster. You had a meglomaniac coach try to leverage and squeeze consessions from a new owner. The owner said no, so the coach had no choice but t exercise his exit clause. Now a 72 year old former GM sees the job as too challenging and declines the offer. Who can blame him? If anything I wonder why Pegula should have considered Polian in the first place.

In the end the Bills will end up better and stronger this off season. Because the position in attractive to most of the top candidates for HC openings. The big reason, is the same reason Marrone left, money. You've got the 3rd or 4th wealthiest owner in the league that is not afraid to spend and will give a new coach more or less unlimited resources to get the job done. What HC candidate could ask for more?

Doug Marrone didn't make this team better. Doug Whaley did. Marrone isn't responsible for bringing in the personnel from winning teams(Corey Graham, Brandon Spikes) and that's what changed the culture.

Screw Doug Marrone.

Tell me how Whaley did **** for this team? He was GM for one season, last year and it was a disaster. He traded away this years first for a WR who is good, but there was as good or better talent at WR still on the board. His Free agent signings and trades have sucked and what about Kujo in the 2nd?

Whaley should be fired NOW, he is way in over his head.

Marrone brought in Pettine and then Schwartz as DC, both resulting in defensive improvement.

Give credit where due.

Honestly this is about the best thing Marrone did.

After that he really did not do a darn thing great.

The team Improved from 6-10 to 9-7 due to the D.

PPG allowed went down over 6 points from 2013 to 2014. Marrone hired DC's he knew would be able to manage the defensive side of the ball and allow him to focus on the O. i assure you Marrone probably spent one meeting a week with his DC going over personnel and the broad strategy the DC was going to implore on game day. Marrone may have mentioned some points of concern and that was that.

The offense actually got slightly worse from 2013 to 2014.

I am sorry but anyone who thinks Marrone made this team better must have been watching something else then i was.

Whaley and to some degree Nix are the ones to be praised for the talent they have put together.

Tell me how Whaley did **** for this team? He was GM for one season, last year and it was a disaster. He traded away this years first for a WR who is good, but there was as good or better talent at WR still on the board. His Free agent signings and trades have sucked and what about Kujo in the 2nd?

Whaley should be fired NOW, he is way in over his head.

-He made the best player-for-player trade in the history of the NFL when he got Hughes

-He found one of the best slot corners in the league as an undrafted rookie free agent in Robey

-Found a DROY runner up in the second round, with an extra pick he got from trading back

-Found another stud every-down LB rookie in the 3rd round(Brown)

-Found a starting RT in the 7th round

-Let Byrd walk when everyone thought it was a terrible move

-Signed Brandon Spikes, Corey Graham

-Signed Rambo and Thigpen, who basically won us the Packers game.