Bills 2014 End of Season Awards

YoloinOhio

Yolo's thoughts...

Coach of the Year: Donnie Henderson

Honorable Mention, Pepper Johnson

Most Improved Player: Nigel Bradham (bad, bad man)

Honorable Mention, Chris Hogan (from Camp Hero to Game Hero vs. Minnesota)

MVP, Offense: Sammy Watkins

He affected what the defense had to do in every game. When Hogan or Chandler caught a TD, most of the time there were three defenders staring at 14.

And he had 117 yd, 1TD game catching passes from EJ Manuel. With broken ribs. Against one of the best corners In the league. That's legendary right there. Lol.

MVP, Defense: Marcel Dareus

Sealed the award when we saw what happens without him.

Honorable Mention, Mario Williams (all-around stud)

MVP, Special Teams: Dan "Money" Carpenter

Rookie of the Year, Offense: Sammy

Rookie of the Year, Defense: Preston Brown

Most Disappointing Player: Mike Williams

Unsung Hero: Boobie Dixon (2 blocked punts, some clutch runs, and amazing attitude)

Honorable Mention, Robert Woods (had some jaw-dropping and clutch catches, including a dominating performance vs Jets week 12 and a monster contested sideline grab downfield vs. Browns week 13)

Most exciting game of the year: Green Bay, Week 15

Most disappointing game of the year: Oakland, Week 16

Best overall game of the year played by the Bills: "Home" game vs NY Jets @ Ford Field after epic snowstorm and practice via iPad, week 12. 38-3, total domination in all 3 phases of a team coming off their bye week and the Bills off of some fairly extenuating circumstances.

Worst overall game of the year played by the Bills: TNF at Miami, week 11. Total yuckfest by the offense, 3rd-and-22 plus 2 passing TDs allowed by the defense.

Best Play: Mario's strip sack of Aaron Rodgers to seal the win over GB, week 15

Honorable Mention: Fred's stiff arm on Chris Conte at end of Bears game, week 1

Worst Play: JJ Watt 80 yard pick 6 in Houston week 4 that effectively ended EJ's season and threw a big wrench in the playoff race for the rest of the year with an AFC loss that should have been a win

Best moment: The announcement that Terry and Kim Pegula had won the bid to purchase the Bills for 1.4 billion on 9/9/14.

Worst moment: Derek Carr's 1 yard TD pass to Jamize Olawale with 2:51 to go to put the game out of reach for the Bills and lead to playoff elimination.

Defining moment of the 2014 season:

Bryce Brown's fumble into the endzone vs. KC, week 10.

In the second half, the Bills were up 10-3 when Brown got the ball in the red zone. He had an opening to the end zone and began sprinting to the goal line.

Chiefs DB Ron Parker blindsided Brown and forced a fumble that bounced across the goal line, slipped through tight end Scott Chandler's hands and out of the back of the end zone for a touchback. The Bills offense moved the ball on KC's D but never recovered to score another TD in the game and lost 17-13.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is a great list. For me personally, the game winner to Watkins against the Vikings was my favorite play of the year. Of course, it's probably worth noting I missed the second half of the Packers game due to work.

Most disappointing player could go to almost anyone outside of Wood on our OL. Maybe Cordy? It's a shame how bad the line has become since the Fitz days...

Most disappointing game for me is the Chiefs game. I was in WNY during that one, but for an unrelated and very unfortunate reason (death of my best friend). His calling hours were that afternoon. Afterwards, all of our friends got together to watch the second half of the Bills game. It probably sounds stupid and maybe petty but we just wanted something good to happen that day, after all the sadness we'd experienced earlier on, and the game ended in baffling disappointment. Don't mean to be a downer but that's one afternoon I'll never forget.

Anyhoo, I'd also give Schwartz coach of the year. Our entire defense was outstanding, kept us in basically every game, and made every one of those games relatively exciting. And I second Robert Woods as unsung hero...he's a great #2. The "televised" primetime game vs. the Jets was unreal.

Overall, the team played better than I thought they would. I predicted 7 wins and they got 9. For the first time in a while, I'm optimistic about next season.

I agree about Schwartz - was trying to dig into certain areas that faced challenges and persevered. Henderson lost different starters all year and didn't allow a passing TD for several weeks against manning, Rodgers, Brady.

I give pepper a lot of credit for dareus's season. His coaching MO has always been to mentor guys who might need something outside the Xs and Os to succeed.

But remember how we were all worried about the wide 9? And how Schwartz would misuse Hughes? Lol.

Yolo's thoughts...

Coach of the Year: Donnie Henderson

Honorable Mention, Pepper Johnson

Most Improved Player: Nigel Bradham (bad, bad man)

Honorable Mention, Chris Hogan (from Camp Hero to Game Hero vs. Minnesota)

MVP, Offense: Sammy Watkins

He affected what the defense had to do in every game. When Hogan or Chandler caught a TD, most of the time there were three defenders staring at 14.

And he had 117 yd, 1TD game catching passes from EJ Manuel. With broken ribs. Against one of the best corners In the league. That's legendary right there. Lol.

MVP, Defense: Marcel Dareus

Sealed the award when we saw what happens without him.

Honorable Mention, Mario Williams (all-around stud)

MVP, Special Teams: Dan "Money" Carpenter

Rookie of the Year, Offense: Sammy

Rookie of the Year, Defense: Preston Brown

Most Disappointing Player: Mike Williams

Unsung Hero: Boobie Dixon (2 blocked punts, some clutch runs, and amazing attitude)

Honorable Mention, Robert Woods (had some jaw-dropping and clutch catches, including a dominating performance vs Jets week 12 and a monster contested sideline grab downfield vs. Browns week 13)

Most exciting game of the year: Green Bay, Week 15

Most disappointing game of the year: Oakland, Week 16

Best overall game of the year played by the Bills: "Home" game vs NY Jets @ Ford Field after epic snowstorm and practice via iPad, week 12. 38-3, total domination in all 3 phases of a team coming off their bye week and the Bills off of some fairly extenuating circumstances.

Worst overall game of the year played by the Bills: TNF at Miami, week 11. Total yuckfest by the offense, 3rd-and-22 plus 2 passing TDs allowed by the defense.

Best Play: Mario's strip sack of Aaron Rodgers to seal the win over GB, week 15

Honorable Mention: Fred's stiff arm on Chris Conte at end of Bears game, week 1

Worst Play: JJ Watt 80 yard pick 6 in Houston week 4 that effectively ended EJ's season and threw a big wrench in the playoff race for the rest of the year with an AFC loss that should have been a win

Best moment: The announcement that Terry and Kim Pegula had won the bid to purchase the Bills for 1.4 billion on 9/9/14.

Worst moment: Derek Carr's 1 yard TD pass to Jamize Olawale with 2:51 to go to put the game out of reach for the Bills and lead to playoff elimination.

Defining moment of the 2014 season:

Bryce Brown's fumble into the endzone vs. KC, week 10.

In the second half, the Bills were up 10-3 when Brown got the ball in the red zone. He had an opening to the end zone and began sprinting to the goal line.

Chiefs DB Ron Parker blindsided Brown and forced a fumble that bounced across the goal line, slipped through tight end Scott Chandler's hands and out of the back of the end zone for a touchback. The Bills offense moved the ball on KC's D but never recovered to score another TD in the game and lost 17-13.

Love the Carpenter pick, but do not understand the M. Williams comment since Maroon has always been so vague. Couldn't play the slot? Didn't fit? Then why trade for him? i would assume the years of game film showed his skill sets. he was also retunring too play for his college coach. Good thing we have so many red zone threats, maybe that is the reason. Distraction Doug? yea must have been the red sox. i think he got screwed. But we may never know.

Love the Carpenter pick, but do not understand the M. Williams comment since Maroon has always been so vague. Couldn't play the slot? Didn't fit? Then why trade for him? i would assume the years of game film showed his skill sets. he was also retunring too play for his college coach. Good thing we have so many red zone threats, maybe that is the reason. Distraction Doug? yea must have been the red sox. i think he got screwed. But we may never know.

the lack of a contribution from Williams was disappointing. Therefore he was a disappointing player. We do not know the whole story why he didn't get the playing time we expected him to get. Minus real info outside of he wasn't playing better than the other guys, I don't give him the benefit of the doubt based on his history that he was some sort of victim. It's not always someone else's fault. It's usually the player. Jmo. Edited by YoloinOhio

the lack of a contribution from Williams was disappointing. Therefore he was a disappointing player. We do not know the whole story why he didn't get the playing time we expected him to get. Minus real info outside of he wasn't playing better than the other guys, I don't give him the benefit of the doubt based on his history that he was some sort of victim.

No I do not think he is a victim anymore than than Urbik (yes he sucked this year) riding the pine for a half season when he was the better guard than the starter(s). i think Marrone in some areas still has a college coaches mindset, but I am speculating.