Would you have an issue if Hughes got the Blu Flu on Sunday?

plenzmd1

I know these guys have a different mind set, but it is an absolutely meaningless game for both teams. I could even see an argument for "athletic integrity " if the Pats* needed it for home field, but this is a de facto exhibition game.

I mean an injury in this game could cost this guy $20 million or more in guaranteed money. I would have zero issue if he requested to sit....he has done enough for the Bills I think they owe him this.

Thoughts?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Any player of mine who requested to sit so he didn't get injured...so he'd be able to get a huge contract...would be cut immediately. The game isn't about him.

Actually, yeah it really is about him. They aren't in the military. They are professional athletes on a team that is playing for nothing. It's a business, period.

I would expect the opposite. He's playing for a contract. Here or somewhere else. Any GM worth their salt would see through that and there is nothing they hate more.

Someone should have told Jadeveon Clowney that GM's hated that. Maybe he would have been drafted number 1 overall if he had just put in the effort rather than dogging it so he didn't get hurt.

Any player of mine who requested to sit so he didn't get injured...so he'd be able to get a huge contract...would be cut immediately. The game isn't about him.

To play Devils advocate

What if you were said player.....you willing to put $20m on the line for a meaningless game? Really in your heart of hearts?

I am in sales. To me, this is akin to my boss saying to me " get that last deal for the year so I make my bonus, even though I know commission rates will triple January 1, and the only reason said boss is close to his bonus is chase I am 190% of quota.

I will sand bag that deal like no ones business. I don't see the difference.

Actually, yeah it really is about him. They aren't in the military. They are professional athletes on a team that is playing for nothing. It's a business, period.

Someone should have told Jadeveon Clowney that GM's hated that. Maybe he would have been drafted number 1 overall if he had just put in the effort rather than dogging it so he didn't get hurt.

on Clowney - it only takes one.

Btw he was legit injured his jr year, whether he "dogged it" is open to interpretation

Edited by YoloinOhio

on Clowney - it only takes one.

Btw he was legit injured his jr year, whether he "dogged it" is open to interpretation

I don't disagree that it only takes one. It only takes one for Hughes too. Somebody will always be standing there with a bag of money. I wouldn't be upset if he blew his motivator cuff in practice this week is all.

Just looked it up...sports hernia, didn't know that.

Edited by Chimp

Why would he do that in a contract year? i would guess the opposite, but if he did it would be a signal that he wants out of Buffalo.

And drop his FA market value. He is an emotional player but not a fool.

I don't think it drops his value one penny, but I could be wrong.

He is under contract and unless he can't physically play, he's playing in my opinion. If he tried to fake his way out, I'd make sure any team courting him would know it.

That said, Jerry Hughes has not ever shown me that kind of attitude so I expect him to give it his all Sunday

To play Devils advocate

What if you were said player.....you willing to put $20m on the line for a meaningless game? Really in your heart of hearts?

I am in sales. To me, this is akin to my boss saying to me " get that last deal for the year so I make my bonus, even though I know commission rates will triple January 1, and the only reason said boss is close to his bonus is chase I am 190% of quota.

I will sand bag that deal like no ones business. I don't see the difference.

Good point. I've learned the most important skill in financial planning is to understand the sand-bagging tendencies of the sales team and adjust accordingly. ;)

He is under contract and unless he can't physically play, he's playing in my opinion. If he tried to fake his way out, I'd make sure any team courting him would know it.

That said, Jerry Hughes has not ever shown me that kind of attitude so I expect him to give it his all Sunday

I agree Mike, I don't think there is any way he sits. But, i also would have no problem if he did.

I liken it the preseason when we all went ballistic as Marone was playing Sammy in a meaningless 5th preseason game...cause that hurt us as fans if Sammy got hurt.

But, now that an an injury would not hurt us, but Hughes personally, we take affront to the notion he should also sit in a meaningless game.

I know I am always a team frst guyt, but this dude has given his all to the Bills last two years...i would not have an issue with him insuring his financial future by not playing in a defacto exhibition game.

Good point. I've learned the most important skill in financial planning is to understand the sand-bagging tendencies of the sales team and adjust accordingly. ;)

:lol:

Well, if you put comp plans in place that did not encourage it :thumbsup:

Edited by plenzmd1

This thread reminded me about Byrd last year. He started the last Pats game but exited very early on with an "injury" that after the fact was not really mentioned. Then he played in the pro bowl. He also got "injured" very early on with little mention of the issue after the fact. No one cares about the pro bowl and yes Byrd got his money but the suitors were not lining up to pay him what he wanted. Hughes will get his money either way but GMs do fear the Albert Hainsworth situation. They feel more comfortable laying down the huge money for a JJ watt, Tom brady type who is all heart and competitiveness. Jmo.

This thread reminded me about Byrd last year. He started the last Pats game but exited very early on with an "injury" that after the fact was not really mentioned. Then he played in the pro bowl. He also got "injured" very early on with little mention of the issue after the fact. No one cares about the pro bowl and yes Byrd got his money but the suitors were not lining up to pay him what he wanted. Hughes will get his money either way but GMs do fear the Albert Hainsworth situation. They feel more comfortable laying down the huge money for a JJ watt, Tom brady type who is all heart and competitiveness. Jmo.

this is the post that makes the most sense