7 Years Later We Have Less Citizens Working Than In 2007

3rdnlng

If we mess with the figures enough we can even make it appear that the "real" unemployment level is going down.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/report-immigrant-workers-account-for-all-employment-growth-since-2007/article/2557626

"But Camarota and Zeigler say that employment numbers for U.S.-born workers has still not returned to pre-recession levels, while it returned to pre-recession levels for immigrant workers in 2012 “and has continued to climb.”

Overall, the number of U.S.-born workers fell from 124,014 million in November 2007 to 122,558 million in November 2014. Foreign-born workers, who make up 17 percent of the workforce, increased from 23,104 million to 25,108 million in the same time period.

The BLS figures showed that 11 million fewer U.S.-born workers are in the labor force now compared to 2007, and that figure has not improved in the last year.

Camarota and Zeigler say the numbers show there is no labor shortage, “even as many members of Congress and the president continue to support efforts to increase the level of immigration.”

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What role does the aging Baby Boomer population play into this equation?

Probably not a lot, since baby boomers range in age from 50 to 68, most are still working and will continue to work for at least a few years yet.

Do you think that we're positioning ourselves to have more jobs than we have people?

That would bring bigger trouble and headaches, right? I think we are positioning ourselves to counter it. We've had to seen this situation (population dilemma) for years. It seems like that it is bound to happen if we do nothing. Ideally, you'd want it to be balanced. If it is tipped one way, I suppose it is better tipped to where there is less jobs and slightly more people (low unemployment). Productivity is @ its best then, right?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The millennials come in. They are actually a larger number than baby boomers at 85 million.

They don't want to work or get their hands dirty... All looking for their "dream job" from the get go. ;-) ;-)

The birth rate between 1950 and 1959 (9 years) was almost double than between 1980 and 1995 (15 years) That leads to what the definition of "millennial" is. Where does that 85 million come from? It can't come solely from the birth rate, the birth rate is half. Is it between 1980 and 1995? Children of Boomers (ie: echo boomers) or is it to include say my children (1998 & 2002) that were born from my generation (Gen X). That adds another decade of births on for the millennials. Consider Boomers go from 1946 to 1964.

I am sure we can play around with the numbers all we like. BUT, I do consider my children "millennials."

If we mess with the figures enough we can even make it appear that the "real" unemployment level is going down.

http://www.washingto...article/2557626

"But Camarota and Zeigler say that employment numbers for U.S.-born workers has still not returned to pre-recession levels, while it returned to pre-recession levels for immigrant workers in 2012 “and has continued to climb.”

Overall, the number of U.S.-born workers fell from 124,014 million in November 2007 to 122,558 million in November 2014. Foreign-born workers, who make up 17 percent of the workforce, increased from 23,104 million to 25,108 million in the same time period.

The BLS figures showed that 11 million fewer U.S.-born workers are in the labor force now compared to 2007, and that figure has not improved in the last year.

Camarota and Zeigler say the numbers show there is no labor shortage, “even as many members of Congress and the president continue to support efforts to increase the level of immigration.”

A biased story based on biased figures from a right wing xenophobic "think tank" doesn't make any of this true

A biased story based on biased figures from a right wing xenophobic "think tank" doesn't make any of this true

A response completely worthy of your ignorance and propensity to give head to your preformed ideals based on your masters hackiness. Damn right wing BLS!

A response completely worthy of your ignorance and propensity to give head to your preformed ideals based on your masters hackiness. Damn right wing BLS!

Why would you expect anything else when you post pure ignorance? When your sources are pure propaganda?

Play nice w/Krusty the 3rd Inning Clown. It's his only news source: Right-wing xenophobic "think tanks."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)

When are you and Gatorboy going to do another Dumb and Dumber movie together? We could pay back North Korea by flooding them with dvd's of it and also use it as the ultimate torture at Gitmo.