Give us your overall impression of Sammy Watkins

HOUSE

That is a myth, actually. Nobody in the scouting community had Leaf going before Manning. And certainly not Polian. Manning was considered generational talent. Leaf, a very good prospect. But like any other year, that didn't stop the pundits in the media from coming up with things to talk about.

But are you trying to say that because scouts have been wrong in the past, they are wrong about Watkins, too?

GO BILLS!!!

a majority of contemporaneous gm's would have begged to differ: http://thebiglead.co...peyton-manning/. some pretty big name gm's there including walsh who woulda (yes "woulda") waited til the 2nd round to take Brian Griese. i wonder where whaley would have sided. we know where polian did. Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a majority of contemporaneous gm's would have begged to differ: http://thebiglead.co...peyton-manning/. some pretty big name gm's there including walsh who woulda (yes "woulda") waited til the 2nd round to take Brian Griese. i wonder where whaley would have sided. we know where polian did.

Again, NOBODY in the scouting community, most of all Polian, had Leaf getting picked ahead of Manning. It was NEVER in doubt. This article and the fact Beathard traded up to #2 to grab Leaf doesn't change my opinion on that. There's a reason you don't listen to anything GMs say prior to a draft. As Buddy used to say, "we're all trying to rob the same train." Polian has referred to deliberately feigning more interest in Leaf. The consensus reached by Peter King's panel more closely resembled the reality in the scouting community. There was never a chance Manning was gonna be selected AFTER Leaf.

But my earlier question stands: are you saying scouts are wrong about Watkins because they've been wrong in the past?

GO BILLS!!!

Again, NOBODY in the scouting community, most of all Polian, had Leaf getting picked ahead of Manning. It was NEVER in doubt. This article and the fact Beathard traded up to #2 to grab Leaf doesn't change my opinion on that. There's a reason you don't listen to anything GMs say prior to a draft. As Buddy used to say, "we're all trying to rob the same train." Polian has referred to deliberately feigning more interest in Leaf. The consensus reached by Peter King's panel more closely resembled the reality in the scouting community. There was never a chance Manning was gonna be selected AFTER Leaf.

But my earlier question stands: are you saying scouts are wrong about Watkins because they've been wrong in the past?

GO BILLS!!!

i'm saying that there is no such thing as a sure thing. watkin's is no more a sure thing than peyton's dad who foundered his entire career for a loser organization despite his considerable talent. ( watch his espn biopic and he almost bleeds regret). p\based on his first season he appears a significantly better bet than leaf at the same point in his career.

just like with qb's, with gm's there's the best and everyone else. i don't have that much confidence that whaley is in polian's class. whether watkin's will be a generational talent is yet to be seen. i have my doubts but remain unconvinced either way. i see contemporaries with seemingly similar talent unlike say, peyton.

and sorry, no way i would quote buddy nix to make a point about the nuances of nfl management.

Edited by birdog1960

The Bills being the Bills, if they hadn't taken Watkins and waited till their regular pick, they would have passed on Beckham and picked some bust. If it took them two firsts to get Watkins, it was worth it. Not to mention the pain we'd have this coming spring when they picked another loser. I'll trade the two losers for Watkins, you betcha.

Beckham doesn't have EJ and Orton throwing to him, I should point out. Even if we had him instead, he'd be getting open and then ignored, just like Watkins.

I have nothing but praise for Watkins' toughness and attitude. And of course his talent. He really does have amazing hands. He plucks the ball out of the air and that's that. Except when he doesn't focus, and that will get better. The ribs will heal and assuming no injuries from the waste down, he'll be a superstar in a year or two. 8 now, 9 next year, 10 after that.

i'm saying that there is no such thing as a sure thing. watkin's is no more a sure thing than peyton's dad who foundered his entire career for a loser organization despite his considerable talent. ( watch his espn biopic and he almost bleeds regret). p\based on his first season he appears a significantly better bet than leaf at the same point in his career.

just like with qb's, with gm's there's the best and everyone else. i don't have that much confidence that whaley is in polian's class. whether watkin's will be a generational talent is yet to be seen. i have my doubts but remain unconvinced either way. i see contemporaries with seemingly similar talent unlike say, peyton.

and sorry, no way i would quote buddy nix to make a point about the nuances of nfl management.

True. There is no such thing as a sure thing.

But just think if players, coaches, GMs, all acted out of that fear. Can you imagine that? Had Polian had the same thought process, and was afraid of pulling the trigger out of fear it wouldn't work out, he never would have given up the farm for Cornelius Bennett. How did Trent Edwards do because of that mindset?

I won't get into my thoughts on Watkins again. It's well-documented. But I applaud Whaley for swinging for the fences on a guy who was no lower than two on anybody's board, if the consensus means anything.

And just because you wouldn't quote Buddy Nix, doesn't mean he isn't right on that score. Buddy's got a good track record over his extraordinarily long and successful career. Oh, and he's forgotten more about evaluating talent than you will ever learn.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

True. There is no such thing as a sure thing.

But just think if players, coaches, GMs, all acted out of that fear. Can you imagine that? Had Polian had the same thought process, and was afraid of pulling the trigger out of fear it wouldn't work out, he never would have given up the farm for Cornelius Bennett. How did Trent Edwards do because of that mindset?

I won't get into my thoughts on Watkins again. It's well-documented. But I applaud Whaley for swinging for the fences on a guy who was no lower than two on anybody's board, if the consensus means anything.

And just because you wouldn't quote Buddy Nix, doesn't mean he isn't right on that score. Buddy's got a good track record over his extraordinarily long and successful career. Oh, and he's forgotten more about evaluating talent than you will ever learn.

GO BILLS!!!

there's bravado and there's stupidity and sometimes they're the same thing. time will tell where whaley's signature move is ranked.

there's bravado and there's stupidity and sometimes they're the same thing. time will tell where whaley's signature move is ranked.

There's cowardice and there's stupidity and sometimes they're the same thing, too.

I prefer my GMs, coaches, and players to play without fear. You obviously prefer the more cautious approach.

And you're right, time will tell about Whaley's deal. Which is why it makes so little sense to fret and fuss until that time comes.

GO BILLS!!!