December Movies: Hobbit, Exodus, Unbroken, & The Interview...

Mark Vader

36g0K4a.jpg

:lol: :lol:

What's funny to me is, I actually had a conversation with a black kid who's a...get this now...."African and Diaspora Studies" major at Texas.

He told me, in no uncertain terms, that the "Kemetians" or what he called ancient egyptians, never took slaves.

News to me. :lol:

What's funny to me is, I actually had a conversation with a black kid who's a...get this now...."African and Diaspora Studies" major at Texas.

He told me, in no uncertain terms, that the "Kemetians" or what he called ancient egyptians, never took slaves.

News to me. :lol:

Unbroken was a half decent 6.5/10. Good, gut wrenching story albeit a bit long. Dragged out portions of it unnecessarily. Could have cut 20 minutes without losing anything. As good as the story was I thought the acting was mediocre and parts were a bit over the top hokey. I never felt particularly emotionally connected Louis the main character as well as his Japanese pow camp overlord. I thought he kind of overacted at times and seemed a bit to feminine for the part. Unless the guy was supposed to be gay and I just missed it. What I did take away from the movie was a interest Louis and his incredible ordeal. The book must be great.

Edited by Dante

What? That's an actual thing?

It's a debated topic (Egyptian slavery, that is). Telling you anything about it in "no uncertain terms" is idiocy. As is calling them "Kemetians" or "Nubians"...it's not completely inaccurate, within a limited period of time, but otherwise it ignores about a thousand years years of Egyptian dynasties. And if anything, the Egyptians enslaved the Kemetians as prisoners of war.

I mean, the Egyptian empire of the Pharaohs was around for two or three thousand years. Categorically saying anything about "Egyptians" is ludicrous.

What? That's an actual thing?

It's a debated topic (Egyptian slavery, that is). Telling you anything about it in "no uncertain terms" is idiocy. As is calling them "Kemetians" or "Nubians"...it's not completely inaccurate, within a limited period of time, but otherwise it ignores about a thousand years years of Egyptian dynasties. And if anything, the Egyptians enslaved the Kemetians as prisoners of war.

I mean, the Egyptian empire of the Pharaohs was around for two or three thousand years. Categorically saying anything about "Egyptians" is ludicrous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Egyptians at any given point in time have Philistines, Hebrews, Phoenecians, Hittites, Libyans and Nubians as tributary peoples and likely therefore slaves?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Egyptians at any given point in time have Philistines, Hebrews, Phoenecians, Hittites, Libyans and Nubians as tributary peoples and likely therefore slaves?

Maybe. It is actually debated. Personally, based on what I've read...I don't think the Egyptians enslaved along racial, cultural, or religious lines. They had slavery, but it was a very different institution from what we call slavery. I've never heard of them enslaving the Hittites as a group, although they almost certainly kept Hittite POWs as slaves after the battle of Kadesh (side note: is there anyone else on the board that's even heard of the battle of Kadesh? God, I'm abnormal.) Likewise, Nubians after various battles around the Upper Nile.

Hell, there's a school of thought that the Hebrew "slaves" were actually a warrior caste of slaves, similar to the Mamelukes several millenia later. And thus, although "slaves," were actually quite elite (like the Mamelukes) and better off than the common Egyptian.

Kadesh was actually one of the first mobile battles ever fought between massed chariots, if i remember.

They did use a lot of chariots, on both sides, but I wouldn't call them "massed." The massed Hittite heavy chariots hit Egyptian infantry, not charioteers. And the Egyptian chariots were used mostly in pursuit, not in a massed attack. So it wasn't quite a "massed" chariot battle.

Plus, maybe 95% of what we know of the battle comes from Egyptian sources. And since the Egyptians initially got their asses handed to them, they had good reason to exaggerate the Hittite's initial chariot attack. So I personally take any estimates of relative chariot forces with a grain of salt.

Mrs. Lew and I saw "Wild" last night. Reese Witherspoon stars and is very good in this role

My daughter and son-in-law who hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2013 also saw it.

They have discussed hiking PCT. But probably wont

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the December Independent Films.

Bradley Cooper stars in the Clint Eastwood directed "American Sniper". Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle's pinpoint accuracy saves countless lives on the battlefield and turns him into a legend. Back home to his wife and kids after four tours of duty, however, Chris finds that it is the war he can't leave behind. Also starring Sienna Miller.

Reese Witherspoon stars in "Wild". A chronicle of one woman's 1,100-mile solo hike undertaken as a way to recover from a recent catastrophe. Also starring Laura Dern & Gaby Hoffman.

"Selma" is, a chronicle of Martin Luther King's campaign to secure equal voting rights via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965. Starring David Oyelowo, Carmen Ejogo, Tim Roth & Lorraine Toussaint.

Joaquin Phoenix stars in "Inherent Vice". In 1970, drug-fueled Los Angeles detective Larry "Doc" Sportello investigates the disappearance of a former girlfriend. Also starring Josh Brolin, Owen Wilson, Katherine Waterston, Reese Witherspoon, Benicio Del Toro, Jena Malone, Maya Rudolph & Martin Short.

Mark Wahlberg is "The Gambler". Lit professor and gambler Jim Bennett's debt causes him to borrow money from his mother and a loan shark. Further complicating his situation is his relationship with one of his students. Will Bennett risk his life for a second chance? Also starring Jessica Lange, John Goodman & Brie Larson.

Marion Cotillard stars in, "Two Days, One Night". Sandra, a young Belgian mother, discovers that her workmates have opted for a significant pay bonus, in exchange for her dismissal. She has only one weekend to convince her colleagues to give up their bonuses so that she can keep her job.

Finally, Oscar Issac & Jessica Chastain star in "A Most Violent Year". In New York City 1981, an ambitious immigrant fights to protect his business and family during the most dangerous year in the city's history.

Calendar with Trailers.

12/3

"Wild": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4058885145?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

12/12

"Inherent Vice": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4155813401?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

12/24

"Two Days, One Night": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3307908377?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_2

12/25

"American Sniper": http://www.americansnipermovie.com/

"Selma": http://www.selmamovie.com/

"The Gambler": http://www.thegamblermovie.com/

12/31

"A Most Violent Year": http://amostviolentyear.com/

There you have it. Sorry it took me forever to post these. I'll have the January Movies up shortly. Until the.....Enjoy!