Is it the player or coaches?

Estelle Getty

You can make an argument for both really.. Orton missed some key passes the last 2 loses that cost us the playoffs.. coach wise its all on Hackett...he abandoned the run both games,and his plays at the end of both games were terrible..new oc and new qb would help fix this problem in my opinion..

I don't like Hackett but his play call got Hogan wide open for an easy TD pass and a win last week. None of us really know what we are talking about when critiquing play calling. EJ got benched for missing open WR's and Orton is really no better. If the guys are open how bad must the play calls be? I think Hackett's worst game was the Houston game. That should have looked like a Seahawks game. EJ should have run as many times as he threw the ball. They could have rushed for 300 yards that day and Hackett blew it.

There seems to be a divide on this board whether the players on this team or coaches are responsibe for what is headed towards yet another rebuild this offseason.

Some here think this is a playoff caliber roster while others think we are lacking legitimate QB and our O-line is to big of a trainwreck to be a comtender. While others think that these issues are being used as a crutch and it is an inept coaching staff (Marrone And Hackett namely) holding this team back.

Personally I am of the opinion that it is Marrones inability as a game day coach and hiring an offensive coordinator way over his head. He reminds me of a Mularkey clone really. A bit of a meat head who becomes overly conservative on sundays. Although the QB and oline situations are not ideal it is nothing that couldnt be overcame with a better game plan. It usually helps to have the best defensive line in the game.

I would reference the Arizona Cardinals who have had to start Drew Stanton as a QB for a good part of the season and still made it work. If you look at that roster top to bottom overall there is not anymore talent than what we have. That pretty much sums up how I feel.

What are your thoughts?

Although I understand some of your points, don't you remember how many gadget plays Mularky tried when under the helm. He was not the conservative coach like Jauron and Williams.

My answer is both. I'm not hedging myself just simply it's the QB who we cannot seem to find in 18 years, and the ret is coaching on th is team, as we have a talented defense, and enough on offense with. QB would contend each year. We are not grossly deficient in the skills areas on offense, and a good coach would have never sit Urbick half the year.

I've spoken to a dozen coaches over the years about this very question and to a man, they all agree with Marv's assertion that good players make good coaches. Especially good QBs, who tend to make good players better.

GO BILLS!!!

I've spoken to a dozen coaches over the years about this very question and to a man, they all agree with Marv's assertion that good players make good coaches. Especially good QBs, who tend to make good players better.

GO BILLS!!!

It's understood that it is not easy finding a good qb through the draft or through free agency.However, what does it say about an organization that for a generatiion can't find a reasonable long-term franchise qb to replace Jim Kelly? The Bills have made attempts to come up with an adequate answer for the most important position with little success. Trent Edwards, Losman, Bledsoe, Fitz, EJ, Orton etc., etc. None of those qbs worked out. So what! You have to keep being aggressive and keep making it an organizational priority to find your franchise qb.

If you can't find a good prospect that is satisfactory then a reasonable approach for a temporary solution is to find an adequate "bridge" qb from the market. Veteran qbs such as Hoyer or Palmer (on his downside) aren't premier qbs but they are still good enough to allow your team to compete. When you accept such llimited qbs as Fitz and Orton to be your starting qbs you are basically forfeiting your playoff chances.

This organization can't give up on their search for a quality qb. They have to be committed to do the one thing that is most important in making a franchise a successful franchise. The status quo is not acceptable. Turning over the coaching staff is not a solution. This staff has faults as most staffs do. But until there is a decent qb taking the staff they can't be fairly judged.

Yup.

I think you could argue that if we dropped either harbaugh or manning in buffalo we'd be highly competitive immediately.

But ultimately I think that the coaches are the bigger issue today.

I have a suspicion that if Manning came to Buffalo he would light it up the first few games. Then in true tested Buffalo tradition he would have that one bad game, get sacked a bunch of times and then start to have that deer in the headlights look and turn into Drew Bledsoe, It's sad but I really believe that would happen. Our problems are team wide attitude and coaching issues.