Which way do you see the season going from here?

LA Grant

Today felt like the kind of bitter loss that defines a team. Previous Bills teams at this point basically collapse, but we've heard a number of times this year from Jackson, Eric Wood, Kyle, that the way this team responds is different.

I could see the season taking two very different turns from here.

Either they take the disappointing loss poorly, come out flat against Miami, drop to 5-5 and lose confidence and probably wind up 6-10 or 7-9 and we look back at the Bryce Brown fumble as the thing that essentially killed the hope for the season, like last year's Chiefs game or Browns game or Atlanta drop last year; one of many crucial moments that decided the season.

Or, this turns out to be what the disappointing Chiefs loss was for New England and we come out hot and learn to finish games conclusively. If they lose to Miami, the season is effectively over, right now it's close. This team has seemed to thrive off of feeling like underdogs and outsiders, and they now have only an outside shot at making the playoffs. They need to feel like they need to win out because they do. There is no room for error. If they can put it all together, the Bills when they gel and play well could certainly win 5 or 6 more games.

Of course, they could also be the kind of team that will be annoyingly inconsistent and massively frustrating, ending at 8-8, winning games they're supposed to lose and losing the 'must win' games. That's also a distinct possibility.

By the way, maybe this should be its own thread but, does anyone else think the NFL needs to consider having the playoffs be 8 teams per conference? Eliminate the bye week, and just have 4 first round matches. The fact of the matter is parity has led to this logjam of good but not great teams in the AFC and it seems to me like there's a clear top half to the NFL and bottom half. Why not have 16 playoff teams and 16 non-playoff teams?

Edited by LA Grant

I'll probably feel a littler better later this week but this game really hurt. More than any game of the season, probably because it felt like "the same old Bills" for the first time this season.

I had this marked as a must-win, so I'm pretty much convinced the Bills will miss the playoffs for the 15th year in a row. Up until this game I was confident we would make it. Even if we turn around and beat Miami I don't like our chances. All you have to do is look at the current standings in the AFC to see why a loss today killed us. I can't remember the last time there was this much competition for a Wildcard spot.

13 points at a Bills home game, today?

It's more than just this season. It's at least the next two seasons. The Buffalo Bills do not have a quarterback - this is a fact. The Buffalo Bills do not have a competent coaching staff - this is an opinion- shared by a lot of smart, knowledgeable people.

I actually feel pretty good about the Miami game. We seem to have their number, plus one thing we can say is that our defense is pretty remarkable at containing running QBs like Tannehill -- we did it with Vick, with Alex Smith today, and with Tannehill twice last year. But after that? Safe to say I'm not confident at all. Today's game was absolutely critical, we outplayed them pretty thoroughly, and ... we lost.

Bingo.

After such a miserable loss I still feel optimistic, thankfully.

The problem is which particular games we've lost. We may only look like we're 1 game out of a WC spot so far but our "record" is actually worse than it appears. We have by far the worst conference record out of all the teams in the hunt, with several head-to-head losses to them. Our chances at the playoffs took a fatal hit today imo.

Orton is solid but his ability to drive the team in for TDs is lacking. 0-4 red zone. This team lost a game they should have won. They are out of the play off race. They dropped from top five to 11th. Lack of scoring is holding them back. 2-3 at home? This team will win 2 more games and then prep for the draft and free agency.

IF they can win Thursday and pull to 6-4 they are still in it

Play the season out the way the Chiefs played this game... just stay alive and wait for one or more of your AFC wildcard rivals to throw up all over themselves.

Even with a win against Miami we'd be the only WC race team in the AFC with a losing conference record. With head-to-head losses to 3 other teams that are in the WC race. If you could pick which games to lose and not to lose so far this season, the Bills have basically lost the worst ones possible.

The problem is which particular games we've lost. We may only look like we're 1 game out of a WC spot so far but our "record" is actually worse than it appears. We have by far the worst conference record out of all the teams in the hunt, with several head-to-head losses to them. Our chances at the playoffs took a fatal hit today imo.

You are correct. But the Chargers, well, the wheels look to be slowly coming off their season. The Bungles are good enough to win and bad enough to lose. Houston? No chance they make the playoffs, even in that division. The Browns? Tricky. I just can't see them stringing it together week by week. My only hope is that either the Steelers or the Ravens run away with the division and the other falls flat on their face.

Trying to find the bright spot is hard but it is there.

Same place where all Bills seasons end up in November. Self inflicted death. I think they will be very lucky to win 7 games. Anyone says that is an improvement, technically correct but not in reality. Wasted two seasons of a truly dominant D line. They fall back into beating themselves. Should win at least 6 of your home games if you want to be a playoff team. They may win 4 at home. Not anywhere close to good enough.

IF they can win Thursday and pull to 6-4 they are still in it

Play the season out the way the Chiefs played this game... just stay alive and wait for one or more of your AFC wildcard rivals to throw up all over themselves.

Ok, but honestly I think the Bills would be more likely to throw-up on themselves (again) more so than any of the other WC contenders.