IRS civil asset forfeiture

KD in CA

Banks are not permitted to advise customers that their deposit habits may be illegal or educate them about structuring unless they ask, in which case they are given a federal pamphlet, Ms. Van Steenwyk said. “We’re not allowed to tell them anything,” she said.

nothing in the article surprises me, but reading it makes me livid nonetheless.

From the New York Times article

For almost 40 years, Carole Hinders has dished out Mexican specialties at her modest cash-only restaurant. For just as long, she deposited the earnings at a small bank branch a block away — until last year, when two tax agents knocked on her door and informed her that they had seized her checking account, almost $33,000. The Internal Revenue Service agents did not accuse Ms. Hinders of money laundering or cheating on her taxes — in fact, she has not been charged with any crime. Instead, the money was seized solely because she had deposited less than $10,000 at a time, which they viewed as an attempt to avoid triggering a required government report. . . . “How can this happen?” Ms. Hinders said in a recent interview. “Who takes your money before they prove that you’ve done anything wrong with it?”

The federal government does.

From the New York Times article

The federal government does.

Of course, the liberal progressive mindset of the current administration is that all money belongs to the government and they just allow us to use it. So in a way, their actions make sense.

Banks are not permitted to advise customers that their deposit habits may be illegal or educate them about structuring unless they ask, in which case they are given a federal pamphlet, Ms. Van Steenwyk said. “We’re not allowed to tell them anything,” she said.

nothing in the article surprises me, but reading it makes me livid nonetheless.

I have to take anti-money laundering traing every year. Now it's very basic but it's my understanding that structuring is a red flag that there might be AML activities going on which will prompt an investigation. The act itself is not illegal but just part of series of tools used by people/businesses to launder money.

Edited by Chef Jim

I have to take anti-money laundering traing every year. Now it's very basic but it's my understanding that structuring is a red flag that there might be AML activities going on which will prompt an investigation. The act itself is not illegal but just part of series of tools used by people/businesses to launder money.

I have no problem with the IRS conducting investigations, but I have a huge problem with the seizure of assets while the investigation is ongoing, as well as the apparent scope of the investigations themselves. that's not to mention the guilty-until-proven-innocent nature of the charges. I find it impossible to understand how anyone but a fascist would support this kind of abuse by our public servants.

What needs to happen is if people win in court then the government pays their legal fees and they pay back double

No, what needs to happen is the government needs to stop taking citizens' property for no valid reason.