Should the Bills give Orton a contract extension at the end of the...

I think that's right 3rd/12.

I think KO fully understood what he was getting into here and liked what he saw. Young players with talent looking for veteran leadership.

I have no doubt that's one of the main reasons he decided to come to Buff and that he likes the yet developing story about his being the guy who helps turn the franchise around (with the Pegs).

But Orton is his own man and he will decide what he's about next year.

If he continues to play like this he will be in the drivers seat at year end and he will be in demand. He's always been a better QB to me than Josh M was in Chicago or anywhere else JM has played.

The question is, what will he want?

One thing we can be sure of is that Kyle Orton will not sell himself short. He actually, and perhaps foolishly, thought he could compete for the starting job in Dallas, despite Jerry's deep love for Romo.

Do you feel strongly about this ?

I guess if he is offered something, he might base his decison upon three items.

+ Potential for the big game .

+ Money.

Not getting killed by a defense while implementing one or both of the top two bullets.

This is the main reason he might seeker green (safer )clipboard even ) pastures.

i will wager he stays here for another year or 3

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+ Money.

Not getting killed by a defense while implementing one or both of the top two bullets.

This is the main reason he might seeker green (safer )clipboard even ) pastures.

Ultimately it depends on how far we go as to how much his salary we would be willing to offer him above what he is making now . However I believe that him staying will have to be a top to bottom decision as I a franchise has never really backed him as the guy. That is what we are fighting against imo Will the new owners ,coach,and GM be willing to say Orton is our guy for the next 3-4 years ? and what other teams out there depending on how well he plays and we do will be willing to do the same ?

+ Money.

I have no idea how to weight the different factors that might influence his decision. Don't know the guy obviously.

Most folks like money. A lot.

I know that if he keeps playing like this he will have options. Somebody will have to pay him a more than 5 bucks.

Thing is the teams that might want him as a starter are probably not as good situations as Buffalo, as far as the prospects of the teams going forward are concerned. Common sense suggests that he should be sensitive to that. That could translate into a home town discount, though a lot would depend on what all else was on the table.

I have no idea how to weight the different factors that might influence his decision. Don't know the guy obviously.

Most folks like money. A lot.

I know that if he keeps playing like this he will have options. Somebody will have to pay him a more than 5 bucks.

Thing is the teams that might want him as a starter are probably not as good situations as Buffalo, as far as the prospects of the teams going forward are concerned. Common sense suggests that he should be sensitive to that. That could translate into a home town discount, though a lot would depend on what all else was on the table.

Well i would consider age a factor. i think the money he will make with Buffalo in his current contract might be enough to let him think on other quality of life factors. To your point JC , i am not sure Orton wants to be on the field in 4 years. lets keep in mind he was talking retirement.

I think the Bills had one hell of a bait to hook him with. That's partly why i think he has found his home here. he will transition to the back up just fine when the time comes.

again nothing against his play , but I hope EJ pans out or we find a a gem in two years

Well i would consider age a factor. i think the money he will make with Buffalo in his current contract might be enough to let him think on other quality of life factors. To your point JC , i am not sure Orton wants to be on the field in 4 years. lets keep in mind he was talking retirement.

I think the Bills had one hell of a bait to hook him with. That's partly why i think he has found his home here. he will transition to the back up just fine when the time comes.

again nothing against his play , but I hope EJ pans out or we find a a gem in two years

Orton wanted to start and he used retirement to get out of dallas .The market for Qbs changed dramatically since Manning was a free agent which is when Orton was a free agent . Everyone wanted a young runner but then they started realizing that some of them wont survive the growing pains of those qbs and so veterans are back in demand .Imagine you are Orton behind Romo and see the attention Mckown got last spring .

Orton wanted to start and he used retirement to get out of dallas .The market for Qbs changed dramatically since Manning was a free agent which is when Orton was a free agent . Everyone wanted a young runner but then they started realizing that some of them wont survive the growing pains of those qbs and so veterans are back in demand .Imagine you are Orton behind Romo and see the attention Mckown got last spring .

agreed. Orton was going nowhere behind Romo and Jerry J. Now Kyle is starting. he is also getting a beating.

at the very least this story will develop and heat up the closer we come to a playoff appearance .

Anyone think Orton had a hand in bringing back Urbik ? Besides me i mean ?

Yes. And when you think of it, Cutler too for that matter.

IF Orton leads the Bills to the playoffs to end this drought you have to

EJ can be your developmental guy and Orton can be the guy for a few years while you continue to build your roster up

I think 5 yrs 50 mil is about right if he leads the team to a playoff game

If you don't need a QB you can spend premium picks on OL and other areas of need

Edited by TheFunPolice

Orton and the offense were not good against Det, NE, or Minn. Against the Jets, they gave the ball to us 6 times alone. Orton only completed 10 passes, had nine 3 and outs and the offense stalled a lot more than it should have

I think we saw a different Jets game. I saw repeated 1st down run, 2nd down run, then 3rd and long obvious pass situations caused by horrible OC play calling. The defense knew it was 3rd and long and he had to pass so they were prepared for the pass over the run on 3rd down, since we just could not run well enough to pick up 3rd and long. I saw 2 of those 10 passes were perfect bombs to Watkins that should have been TDs. How do you hold Orton responsible for the design and play calling or the inability of the line to run block or the RBs to find the holes. He did his job while being handcuffed by a horrible O Line and a terrible OC. Not saying he is close to a Brady or a Payton, but he gets the job done. He is not a glaring weakness on this team, but a positive.

Edited by simpleman