Home Brewers - help

PaattMaann

I want to get into home brewing, I have some ideas about what to do (how the process works), but am looking for suggestions on start up equipment, and places you all go to buy your supplies (barley, hops, etc.)

Any information would be appreciated....again, ive got ideas based on a few friends and google, but am looking for any advice any of you home brewers have.

Thanks in advance!

i shop local for my brewing supplies...my equipment i hit thrift stores, grocery stores(bakeries for their empty plastic buckets), flea markets etc...amazon for some of the smaller stuff...but when it comes to ingredients i go local to support them, plus the local shops are great resources and nearly all of them i have ever used in NY, VA and PA, they always have homebrew at the shops that they are dying to share with customers.

The free first edition of John Palmer's How To Brew is a good place to start for basic brewing information.

Finding a local homebrew shop is a good place to start for ingredients and beginner information. Otherwise these are two online hombrew shops that will sell you starter kits for <$100.

http://morebeer.com/category/personal-home-brewery-equipment-kits.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/starter-kit-buyers-guide/?gclid=CNCuivujw8ECFSgV7AodGT8AaQ

Finally..delve into some of the Brewing Network podcasts for some great information and entertainment.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/

We have used Northern brewing and Keystone Homebrew supply .. My son is the one that is into it, but so far we have learned that if you are serious, get the right equipment. It does cost a bit more, but it is like night and day when you brew your stuff. He has a Blickmann floor burner and Brew pot. He immediately got rid of his old equipment after he started using it. A good wort chiller is a key as well.

Most brew supply places will offer lessons and once you understand the nuances, start with a simple inexpensive grain kits. As you get better, you can do your own malts instead of the pre-done stuff. My son is getting pretty good at at when he is home he will usually do a batch and leave it to ferment here. I just watch and wonder what he isnt just going to go to the store and pick up a case or two and save all the aggravation. He loves doing it, and as a hobby it keeps him busy.

Edited by Guffalo

Thanks for the input so far - I am in the process of reading the free "How to Brew" (2nd half is printing off at work right now haha), some great get started info there...

im really torn between "going all out" and buying big enough equipment/stuff to hand full grain brews or "starting small" to see if I like it....im feeling like im going to like it, so why waste time on the stuff just big enough to "try it out".....its the real dilemma I have to solve first....

im looking at buying a turkey fryer (at least 32 QT) to boil in....and pairing that with a starter kit from Extreme Brewing (http://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Best-DELUXE-Brewing-Equipment/dp/B00AC55H24/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386477856&sr=8-2&keywords=brewers+best)

so go big or go home?

extracts have come along way since i started in the late 80's, don't underestimate the quality you can get while learning from the bottom up. but if you feel you can jump right into all grain...go for it. Also speaking from a late 80's standpoint, George Papazians book was a great learning book. Join AHA, get their zymurgy magazine, it always has great articles, resources etc....bottom line, have fun doing it, it is a great hobby

again, to my earlier point, that kit on amazon is $125 bucks, you can get fermenting buckets at any grocery store that makes their own donuts for free, you can get carboys off craigslist or thrift stores for next to nothing, then you just need to find a hydrometer, air locks and the other little things, dropping your initial investment to easily under $50...but again i am cheap(and broke)

Thanks for the input so far - I am in the process of reading the free "How to Brew" (2nd half is printing off at work right now haha), some great get started info there...

im really torn between "going all out" and buying big enough equipment/stuff to hand full grain brews or "starting small" to see if I like it....im feeling like im going to like it, so why waste time on the stuff just big enough to "try it out".....its the real dilemma I have to solve first....

im looking at buying a turkey fryer (at least 32 QT) to boil in....and pairing that with a starter kit from Extreme Brewing (http://www.amazon.co...ds=brewers best)

so go big or go home?

Edited by The Poojer

extracts have come along way since i started in the late 80's, don't underestimate the quality you can get while learning from the bottom up. but if you feel you can jump right into all grain...go for it. Also speaking from a late 80's standpoint, George Papazians book was a great learning book. Join AHA, get their zymurgy magazine, it always has great articles, resources etc....bottom line, have fun doing it, it is a great hobby

again, to my earlier point, that kit on amazon is $125 bucks, you can get fermenting buckets at any grocery store that makes their own donuts for free, you can get carboys off craigslist or thrift stores for next to nothing, then you just need to find a hydrometer, air locks and the other little things, dropping your initial investment to easily under $50...but again i am cheap(and broke)

hmmm thats not a bad idea (the build it yourself pooj) - ill have to consider that...am I lazy and wanna drop some bucks? (Then the only real expense to start would be the turkey fryer for boil)

as to the extracts/full grain....I think I will definitely start with extracts, even if im going to do 5 gal. boils....because like you said, they are pretty damn good and its "easier" to start with...

Question: if im doing 5 gallon boils wont I need more than a 5 gallon carboy? (room at the top)

Edited by PaattMaann

i just saw a turkey fryer advertised on tv for $39, could have been one of the major sporting good/outdoor stores(dicks, cabellas etc..) but i can't remember, thought that was a great price. If you can find one, i would go with a 6 gallon carboy

hmmm thats not a bad idea (the build it yourself pooj) - ill have to consider that...am I lazy and wanna drop some bucks? (Then the only real expense to start would be the turkey fryer for boil)

as to the extracts/full grain....I think I will definitely start with extracts, even if im going to do 5 gal. boils....because like you said, they are pretty damn good and its "easier" to start with...

Question: if im doing 5 gallon boils wont I need more than a 5 gallon carboy? (room at the top)

i just saw a turkey fryer advertised on tv for $39, could have been one of the major sporting good/outdoor stores(dicks, cabellas etc..) but i can't remember, thought that was a great price. If you can find one, i would go with a 6 gallon carboy

Going by what my son did, he left the turkey boiler in the dust once he used his Blickmann, he said it is important to get it to a specific temerature and maintain the same temperature for the desired time. Also write down your notes! After a few batches , my son found that recipes and methods that are recorded are much easier to duplicate. Have fun

Going by what my son did, he left the turkey boiler in the dust once he used his Blickmann, he said it is important to get it to a specific temerature and maintain the same temperature for the desired time. Also write down your notes! After a few batches , my son found that recipes and methods that are recorded are much easier to duplicate. Have fun

Yes the blickmann is something I could certainly work up to - but def not laying down the money on that when I haven't even brewed yet haha

Great point about keeping notes - seems like a must