Patriots shorts in knot over Philly barbs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs04/n...tory?id=1979918

Maybe this is a strategy by the Eagles? It's pretty amazing how one or two throwaway comments are generating so much reaction from the Patriot players...the ones who are supposed to be so level-headed?

It's also very early in Super Bowl week to be running at the mouth. For the veteran Patriots to dive headfirst into such a fray is almost astonishing. Many of the Eagles recognize that. Even though this is the team's first trip to the Super Bowl in 24 years, they came across Sunday as the more experienced, resolute bunch.

The Boston press is acting like the Eagles are committing suicide. If I'm the Eagles, I'd keep on yappin'. If this is all it takes to get the Patriots rattled, then do it some more and see if you can throw them off their game. If they are too busy trying to target certain players for retribution, maybe you can sneak something by them.

Comments?

PTR

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on man, do you really think that the most mentally tough team in all of sports is "rattled" by this?

Freddie "all talk and no walk" Mitchell popped off at the mouth; a bunch of reporters told the Patriots what he said, and a few players reacted to it. I doubt any of the Patriots actually brought it up themselves.

I'm usually not a "media is evil" guy - but SB week is pretty ridiculous - there's a lot of hacks looking for stories to print.

SB week is pretty ridiculous - there's a lot of hacks looking for stories to print.

223487[/snapback]

And this is a pretty uninteresting Super Bowl, if you ask me. Everyone knows the Patriots are going to win - the question is, by how much?

The Pats getting rattled by opposing smacktalk?! :lol:

Please.  They LIVE for this sh--.  Freddy "I'm a special player" Mitchell specifically calling out Rodney Harrison essentially IS suicide.  He'll be lucky to walk off in one piece.

223539[/snapback]

Do you like it that you have the dirtiest player in football on your team?

Do you think he'll go after TO?

BTW, he's pretty tough when someone is in a prone position, but he seems to cry when they don't vote him in to the Pro Bowl. That is pretty thin skinned.

what did Mitchell say?

On SportsCenter, he was asked about the Pats' secondary, and responded by saying that he didn't even know their names, just their numbers (Mitchell couldn't even get those right, as he listed a #25 who doesn't exist). Then he said that he knew that #37 was Harrison, and that he "has something for him" on Super Bowl Sunday. Subsequently, Harrison and McGinest unloaded on him and said that a guy who has produced as little as he has is foolish to talk such trash.

Do you like it that you have the dirtiest player in football on your team?

I don't consider a guy playing the game as it was meant to be played to be dirty.

Do you think he'll go after TO?

I think he'll "go after" Owens in so much as he'll try to hit him as hard as he can whenever he has the ball (should Owens play, that is).

BTW, he's pretty tough when someone is in a prone position, but he seems to cry when they don't vote him in to the Pro Bowl.  That is pretty thin skinned.

Harrison cried about not making the Pro Bowl? News to me. Source?

what did Mitchell say?

223541[/snapback]

He said that he didn't even know the Pats secondary by names he only knew their #s. He also said that he "has somethin" for Rodney Harrison.

On a side note - Rodney Harrison saying that someone else "doesn't have respect for the game" is about the funniest thing I have heard this week. What a schmuck.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs04/n...tory?id=1978000

I don't consider a guy playing the game as it was meant to be played to be dirty.

I think he'll "go after" Owens in so much as he'll try to hit him as hard as he can whenever he has the ball (should Owens play, that is).

Harrison cried about not making the Pro Bowl?  News to me.  Source?

223551[/snapback]

Patriots' Harrison fine with reputation

The ferocious New England strong safety is convinced he was passed over for the Pro Bowl this year because of his reputation for questionable hits. But he's paid for that dubious distinction with more than $300,000 in fines in his checkered 11-year career, the most collected from a player in league history.

But sometimes those hits cross the line. His $111,000 fine for a helmet hit on Oakland receiver Jerry Rice in 2002 is the harshest financial punishment in league history. He was suspended one week and docked a paycheck.

Harrison's wallet took three hits this season. He was fined $12,500 for spearing Miami tight end Randy McMichael on Dec. 20. He paid $7,500 for spearing New York Jets receiver Santana Moss on Oct. 24. And his Sept. 19 hit on Arizona quarterback Josh McCown, who the league ruled "was clearly out of bounds," cost $7,500.

A Sports Illustrated poll of 354 former and current players published in October named Harrison the league's dirtiest player.

B-e-a-utiful. Couldn't have done it better Nose. I would add this though:

This reputation has also affected Harrison when it comes to Pro Bowl voting. This year he was named an All-Pro in voting done by reporters, but when Pro Bowl selections were announced (voting is done by players, coaches, and fans), Harrison's name was strangely absent.

"A lot of guys were saying to me how can you make All-Pro and not make the Pro Bowl, and I just don't know," Harrison said. "All I know is I go out there and try to play football and give my heart and soul, and whatever happens in terms of individual accolades, that's up to others to decide. "I'm not bitter because even if you don't vote for me, you're going to respect me. That's my attitude.

:lol:

Well, retard let me explain it to you. When its up to the people who know most about the game to decide who deserves respect (Players, Coaches) you are off the list because apparently you don't "play the game the way it was meant to be played." Even we stupid fans can see that (except New Englanders who like the way you try to injure).

Of course also throw in the hit to Trent Green's knee that launched Kurt Warner's career. Nah he's not dirty. Everyone should play like him, it was the way football was meant to be played. :lol:

223551[/snapback]

I went to the game in Buffalo this year.

On one play I saw Bledsoe badly overthrow Neufeld (shocking, I know). I watched as Harrison lined up to hit Neufeld cleany, recognized the overthrow and adjusted to attempt to hit Neufeld in the head. I saw it with my own eyes and I know what I saw.

In the same game with NE leading by 14 and about 52 seconds left Moulds caught a pass at about the ne 40 (about an 8 yarder). He was basically laying on his stomach. As another Pat touched Moulds shoulder to down him, Harrison' helmet nailed Moulds in the back pretty cleany.

The Neufeld play was worse, but the Moulds play came when the game was over.

Was the Delhomme thing in the SB clean? Is that how the "game is played"?

223551[/snapback]

:lol:

This was the same guy who said last year (paraphrased because I don't have the quote in front of me) : "I don't care if it's legal or not, I don't care about the rules. I'm going to hurt people, that's my job." (this was said on Sports Center AND again in print in the Boston Globe)

Yeah, he is a role model for playing the game the way it was "meant" to be played.

I like nasty players with mean streaks, but I don't like players who have no respect for the game or who are so gutless as to be proud of taking cheap shots whether they are legal or not.

If he wasn't a Pat, you would feel the same way too. Thing is, if he were a Bill I would still despise him.

I'm not denying his talent, he's clearly a very good player. But he is a terrible human being.

If he wasn't a Pat, you would feel the same way too. Thing is, if he were a Bill I would still despise him.

I'm not denying his talent, he's clearly a very good player. But he is a terrible human being.

Terrible human being? Are you really in a position to make this judgment?

He is one of the most respectful athletes I have ever seen when dealing with the media and fans. His teammates and the coaching staff hold him in high regard (Belichick and Seymour both specifically mentioned how crucial he was after last year's championship). He's a family man and a very hard worker.

I maintain that he would be the most popular player on the Bills if he were on your team. I understand why other teams' fans would not like Rodney Harrison the football player, but maligning his entire character based on your perception of his onfield play is unreasonable.

Terrible human being? Are you really in a position to make this judgment?

He is one of the most respectful athletes I have ever seen when dealing with the media and fans. His teammates and the coaching staff hold him in high regard (Belichick and Seymour both specifically mentioned how crucial he was after last year's championship). He's a family man and a very hard worker.

I maintain that he would be the most popular player on the Bills if he were on your team. I understand why other teams' fans would not like Rodney Harrison the football player, but maligning his entire character based on your perception of his onfield play is unreasonable.

223576[/snapback]

Does someone with "character" try to injure his co-workers, even if they work for another company? He's dirty. End of story.

Does someone with "character" try to injure his co-workers, even if they work for another company?  He's dirty.  End of story.

223579[/snapback]

Let's nip this in the bud right now. Tgreg has made up a quote, which you're now running with. Get an actual quote and then this discussion can continue fairly.

Now, having said that.......

Do you think that all boxers are of inferior character?

Football is a violent sport. Harrison is a strong safety. You would be hard pressed to find another strong safety in the league who felt differently in terms of what his job is when he steps on the field. The ones that don't aren't making it to the NFL. What do you think happens when NFL teams attempt to "play physically?"

Let's hope what Freddie has for Rodney Harrison is a taste of his own medicine. Boy, I can just imagine all the cries of foul in New England then! Maybe Philly has something to surprise the Pats. New England thinks any team that doesn't roll over for them is "disrespectful." I hope the Eagles lay a few cheap shots of their own on Team Genius.

PTR

Let's nip this in the bud right now. Tgreg has made up a quote, which you're now running with. Get an actual quote and then this discussion can continue fairly.

Now, having said that.......

Do you think that all boxers are of inferior character?

Football is a violent sport. Harrison is a strong safety. You would be hard pressed to find another strong safety in the league who felt differently in terms of what his job is when he steps on the field. The ones that don't aren't making it to the NFL. What do you think happens when NFL teams attempt to "play physically?"

223582[/snapback]

What I am "running with" is what I saw with my own eyes. Let's get that straight. I made no mention of Tg's Harrison quote. If you're talking about the Pro Bowl thingy I saw the article myself, but am not looking it up for you because you think I'm lying.

Hitting hard is different from going after someone's head or trying to injure them after a play is either dead or essentially over.

I went to the game in Buffalo this year.

On one play I saw Bledsoe badly overthrow Neufeld (shocking, I know).   I watched as Harrison lined up  to hit Neufeld cleany, recognized the overthrow and adjusted to attempt to hit Neufeld in the head.  I saw it with my own eyes and I know what I saw.

In the same game with NE leading by 14 and about 52 seconds left Moulds caught a pass at about the ne 40 (about an 8 yarder).  He was basically laying on his stomach.  As another Pat touched Moulds shoulder to down him, Harrison' helmet nailed Moulds in the back pretty cleany.

The Neufeld play was worse, but the Moulds play came when the game was over.

You're basing your entire opinion of the guy on two subjective plays against a team you're biased towards?

Football is a rough sport. There are 22 guys on the field for any given play, and they're all moving as fast as they can. People get hit. That's the game.

Was the Delhomme thing in the SB clean?  Is that how the "game is played"?

Maybe it's just too early in the morning, but I don't recall an incident betwen Harrison and Delhomme in the SB.