CJ Spiller and Chris Johnson (CJ2K)

Anyone remember Chris Johnson and the CJ2K name?

In 2009 he rushed for 2,006 yards, 5.6 YDS/carry. He was a sensation... unstoppable... going to rush for 2,500 YDS in 2010!

Then he just.... became average.

His YDS/season after that MONSTER year:

2010: 1,364/ 4.3 per carry

2011: 1,047/ 4.0 per carry

2012: 1,243/ 4.5 per carry

2013: 1,077/ 3.9 per carry

Now, CJ2K had a better season than CJ Spiller ever has, even flirting with the NFL rushing title. Then he just vanished into obscurity after his 1 big year. How does this relate to Spiller? Well, everyone wants to blame his coaches. They are IDIOTS! for not getting him close to his 2012 production. So was it the coaches' fault that CJ2K became CJ1K?

I assert that Spiller had ONE good year in 2012, and it took Gailey 3 years to figure out how to get any real, consistent production out of him. Even then, Gailey took Spiller off the field in key moments. Remember "it was Fred's turn" or "CJ needed a blow?"

We said the SAME things about Spiller in 2010 and 2011 that we say in 2014. He used to want to bounce everything out wide and would take losses. He does that now. He couldn't block. He can't now. He doesn't see the field. He doesn't now.

Spiller is, and always has been, a one dimensional player. He will ether get you huge plays or 2 yard losses. Gailey found a way to muster some consistency out of him for a short time until defenses caught on and that offense ground right to a halt. That is why Gailey's "amazing" 2012 offense was ranked right where Hackett's "awful" one was in 2013: bottom 1/3.

Could they be smarter in how they use Spiller now (i.e. not running up the middle for a 1 yard loss with him)? Of course. But then again, Spiller is who he always was: a one trick pony who defenses are on to. Defending him is easy, as long as you don't let him get free.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I'm pretty over Spiller. I was waiting for this season as confirmation and now that we're almost halfway through the season I'd rather see the money spent elsewhere when his contract is up.

Spending big $$ on a RB is almost always a waste.

CJ2K is a GREAT example. Held the Titans up for big $$, then disappeared.

If I had Thurman in his prime or Barry Sanders in his prime, I would spend the $$.

Otherwise, you can find a RB in the late rounds or on the cheap in FA that can come in and get you the yards you need.

FA is where you get RB's. LaGarrette Blount has just 21 yards less then Spiller and 4.7ypc vs. Spillers 4.9.

Blount signed for less then $4mm. Spiller won't even pick up the phone for $4mm.

Yup.. just find "a guy" who is good enough to churn out yards when you need them and you're fine. When he wants the big $$, rinse and repeat.

Look up running backs that have had over 400 touches in a season and see what happens to their careers. simply put, CJ2K has survived that workload better than most as most seem to take years to bounce back from that beating, if they ever do. he certainly dipped

Look up running backs that have had over 400 touches in a season and see what happens to their careers. simply put, CJ2K has survived that workload better than most as most seem to take years to bounce back from that beating, if they ever do. he certainly dipped

CJ has barely broke 200.

And that's the good and bad of it. If you're pro CJ you simply say he hasn't ever been given the workload. If you're anti CJ you use it as an indictment that he can't handle the worklout

CJ has barely broke 200.

And that's the good and bad of it. If you're pro CJ you simply say he hasn't ever been given the workload. If you're anti CJ you use it as an indictment that he can't handle the worklout

i think 225-250 is an ideal number for a guy like him and thats spread between carries and receptions (and possibly even returns). he shouldnt be the 300-350 carry workhorse, and i think that is quite alright and a potentially VERY valuable role.

i just wanted to underscore how brutal 400 carries has been for backs (i know CJ2k used receptions to pad up to 400+), when looking at chris johnsons resume. it cant be ignored.

heres an interesting chart on guys hitting 370 carries - outside of some all time physical freaks among a group of freak athletes very few bounce back:

http://www.footballdocs.com/running_back_carries.html

Edited by NoSaint

i think 225-250 is an ideal number for a guy like him and thats spread between carries and receptions (and possibly even returns). he shouldnt be the 300-350 carry workhorse, and i think that is quite alright and a potentially VERY valuable role.

i just wanted to underscore how brutal 400 carries has been for backs, when looking at chris johnsons resume. it cant be ignored.

exactly what i was going to say.

I'll prob get flogged for this, but CJ is somewhat of a similar player to barry sanders in that Barry would have 2yds, -3yds, 1yd, 80yds, 2yd, 3yd, 50yd..etc. It was all or nothing with Barry - one main difference being that Barry broke the large runs more frequently, but Barry also had more carries per game to do so. CJ has a negative carry and then won't see another carry until next quarter.

I'll prob get flogged for this, but CJ is somewhat of a similar player to barry sanders in that Barry would have 2yds, -3yds, 1yd, 80yds, 2yd, 3yd, 50yd..etc. It was all or nothing with Barry - one main difference being that Barry broke the large runs more frequently, but Barry also had more carries per game to do so. CJ has a negative carry and then won't see another carry until next quarter.

not even close.

Barry had plays that went for 2 yards or negative yards. But not even close to the % of runs that CJ runs.

not even close.

Barry had plays that went for 2 yards or negative yards. But not even close to the % of runs that CJ runs.

I agree with that - I'm just saying they're theoretically similar players in that it's boom or bust. Barry was just more consistent with the boom part. lol. But again, CJ spiller's career high for attempts is 207. Barry averaged around 300.

I agree with that - I'm just saying they're theoretically similar players in that it's boom or bust. Barry was just more consistent with the boom part. lol. But again, CJ spiller's career high for attempts is 207. Barry averaged around 300.

Barry had Boom but his busts wereich fewer and far between. And his plays of 3-5 yards were much higher.

It's really not even close. I get your point but it's really not even close.

Barry had Boom but his busts wereich fewer and far between. And his plays of 3-5 yards were much higher.

It's really not even close. I get your point but it's really not even close.

10-4

One last comparison is that Spiller's career ypc is 4.9 and Barry is 5.0. Spiller has 67 games so that's a solid sample size.

Barry's average is based off 10 years.

In the same conversation, he had never finished a season with less than 1,100 yards.

He also had 6 seasons with 10 or more TDs. Has an average of over 10+ TDs a year.

CJ averages 3TDs a year over his miserable career.

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana 5m5 minutes ago

ICYMI: My story on C.J. Spiller: 'I want to be a Bill' http://on.rocne.ws/1w9pICz via @DandC

lets hope the Bills don't want him to be a Bill

To me this all boils down to the offensive philosohy of the OC......

If you have an OC that insists on trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole and he just cannot get away from that.......you have to use players that fit that philosophy to have any kind of success.......

That is why you see Fred Jackson (who is pretty awesome) in his elder state STILL more productive then the younger spiller.......because he can Hackett's up the middle scheme.....

We need to either change the scheme (unlikely) OR we need to change the players to fit it