like Knuckles says, "it ain't rocket surgery"

BackInDaDay

if you're in the same division as the Pats, how do you not have a defender to play their TE?

with today's rules, most defensive contact is illegal, so the defender doesn't need to be a physical freak to cover him - just tall, and quick enough to keep up with him.

considering they split Gronk out, or flex him, to get free releases off the line - a defender doesn't have a chance of keeping him from getting where he wants to go. and because of his size, there's never any deception to his route running - it's just not necessary. he simply runs downfield, head and shoulders above his defenders.

so you find an athletic 6' 9 -10"" ex-basketball forward - with a wingspan that matches his height - who can run with a guy 60lbs heavier. you put him on the practice squad, and work out the details on what you'll pay him to stay with the squad until his practice squad eligibility expires. now you have the option of activating him whenever the likes of Gronk are on the schedule. just coach him up to keep an inside technique between him and the QB - like defending an inbound b-ball play.

think of it from the QB's perspective. if a rangy defender is staying with him - it's no longer a given i'm completing this pass.

now, this may seem too simple to comprehend, but i guarantee that if the Bills had such a tough match-up on our roster - innovative guys like Belichik would have an answer on theirs. they would never enter a season knowing they have no answer to what their division opponents will do.

if you're in the same division as the Pats, how do you not have a defender to play their TE?

with today's rules, most defensive contact is illegal, so the defender doesn't need to be a physical freak to cover him - just tall, and quick enough to keep up with him.

considering they split Gronk out, or flex him, to get free releases off the line - a defender doesn't have a chance of keeping him from getting where he wants to go. and because of his size, there's never any deception to his route running - it's just not necessary. he simply runs downfield, head and shoulders above his defenders.

so you find an athletic 6' 9 -10"" ex-basketball forward - with a wingspan that matches his height - who can run with a guy 60lbs heavier. you put him on the practice squad, and work out the details on what you'll pay him to stay with the squad until his practice squad eligibility expires. now you have the option of activating him whenever the likes of Gronk are on the schedule. just coach him up to keep an inside technique between him and the QB - like defending an inbound b-ball play.

think of it from the QB's perspective. if a rangy defender is staying with him - it's no longer a given i'm completing this pass.

now, this may seem too simple to comprehend, but i guarantee that if the Bills had such a tough match-up on our roster - innovative guys like Belichik would have an answer on theirs. they would never enter a season knowing they have no answer to what their division opponents will do.

BB is like a chameleon. He would simply morph into a different nightmare gameplan and entrust his savant QB to enact upon it. Kinda like what he did by sitting down Wright yesterday in favour of WR matchup advantages.

they would just have gronk block the 6'10 and 60 lbs lighter guy while running right at him.

why gronk is special is because hes one of about 5 guys that is big and fast enough that there isnt a defender tailor made to stop him.

well played sir!! we are a soup sandwich. i watched the game with my wife who roots for the pats--sigh. her comment was it is like watching the junior varsity versus the varsity team. could not say it better than that.

Luckily my wife does not watch football with me. When I was watching that game I was in no mood for comments like that. It would have been a dangerous thing for her

or anyone else to say.