Offseason FA/Draft scenario

nodnarb

Offseason dreaming and theorizing and whatnot. Here's what I'd like to see happen. At least now, anyway. This draft is said to be a 6/10 to last years' 10, but I don't buy it. It's too bad this is such a horrid draft for TE and C, but hey. Guess we'll have to use free agency.

The Bills trade Henry to the Eagles Yes Eagles for their late 2nd round pick (#63). Dorsey won't be back and they want a pounder to complement their shifty Westbrook.

The Bills sign Marcus Price to an extension and trade him to the Redskins on draft day for their 6th round pick. Fair and even trade, considering the changes we're going to make on the line.

Then the Bills Re-sign Pat Williams AND Jonas Jennings thanks to Moulds restructuring and Bledsoe finally admitting that he's not worth a whole lot anymore. (If he doesn't accept a backup role, buh-bye.)

Which translates into:

2a. #55: Khalif Barnes, OT

2b. #63: WR Chris Henry (raw, but could be Randy Moss with character in a year)

3. #86: LB Barrett Ruud

4. #116: C Scott Mruczkowski

5. #147: RB Darren Sproles

6. TRADE our two 6ths to move up higher in the 6th for TE Adam Bergen

7. #213: CB Alphonso Hodge

Read up on Barnes, Henry and Ruud. This draft would give us truly great depth on the offensive line, while giving the new LT and C time to learn and adjust. If Barnes looks to be as good or better than Jennings, we'll have powerful trade bait in Jennings next year. Chris Henry: Think Plaxico Burress. Ruud: Think a bigger Mike Vrabel. Sproles? Yea, he's tiny but have you seen him run? He has stop on a dime power of Barry Sanders and the speed and acceleration of...I'm not sure who. He'd be a nice complement to Shaud Williams. Granted, we'd still need a bigger RB via FA.

To the "What, no left guard?" crew: There are many proven veteran guards in FA this season. As solid as Lawrence SMith was in pass pro, he'll be a backup next year.

Jennings/Barnes

FA LG/Smith

Teague/Mruczkowski

Villarial/Tucker

Williams/McFarland

WR scenario: Mularkey and CO. decide that J. Smith gives them everything Reed can give us, plus return ability. Buh-bye, Josh. Sorry you "lost your swing". But he still has value, and I wouldn't be surprised if we trade him right back to his old coach Nick Saban for a 4th or a comparable player.

1. Evans

2. Moulds

3. Aiken

4. J. Smith

5. Chris Henry (until he's ready)

Please explain any logical reason why the Bills would go through the trouble of re-signing M.Price, who is a valuable backup & is worth a heck of a lot more to US than the Redskins 6th, then trade him for a pick that traditionally makes the NFL 10% of the time.

While you're at it, please tell us why the Redskins wouldn't just sign Price if they have any interest in him & simply outbid us since their owner is one of the biggest overbidders in the league. Why would they give us a 6th when they can get him without surrendering a pick?

Please explain any logical reason why the Bills would go through the trouble of re-signing M.Price, who is a valuable backup & is worth a heck of a lot more to US than the Redskins 6th, then trade him for a pick that traditionally makes the NFL 10% of the time. 

While you're at it, please tell us why the Redskins wouldn't just sign Price if they have any interest in him & simply outbid us since their owner is one of the biggest overbidders in the league.  Why would they give us a 6th when they can get him without surrendering a pick?

223084[/snapback]

One, I'm just thinking out loud. Secondly, Why? Easy. We sign him first, before they have a chance to talk to him. So they wait until the draft. Why trade him? It's a free draft pick, since we didn't use one to aquire him. And Price is a good backup with no upside. He's solid but not special. With the moves we will make, he'll be expendable for equal to better players with more athleticism and upside.

I've seen estimates of cap room in the $9.8 million range, and with Eric Moulds restructuring along with Bledsoe taking a reduced salary or being cut, I think free agency is a player this offseason! The Indianapolis Colts will be up to their @sses in free agency HELL and stealing Rick DeMulling to play LG would solve one problem. One more impact signing should be concievably made and I'd say TE Bubba Franks could be that target! On draft day, hopefully trade Travis Henry for a 2nd rounder and with that scenario, draft OT Adam Terry from Syracuse University. The second second rounder should be a developmental QB with exceptional upside and after yesterdays Senior Bowl, the guy flying under the radar is Andrew Walter from Arizona State. My feeling is that Sam Wyche, Tom Clements, and Mike Mularkey are excellent coaches for the grooming of QB's and Green Bay made a living under Ron Wolf developing QB's that they Traded down the road (see Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, and Matt Hasselback). Hence, we are taking the long view, with this franchises future in mind. In the 3rd round, take a Center with great athleticism in Vince Carter of Oklahoma. Granted, he was hurt this year, but that is exactly why he'll be available here. He needs to bulk up and a year in the Bills weight room will do wonders for him!

One, I'm just thinking out loud. Secondly, Why? Easy. We sign him first, before they have a chance to talk to him. So they wait until the draft. Why trade him? It's a free draft pick, since we didn't use one to aquire him. And Price is a good backup with no upside. He's solid but not special. With the moves we will make, he'll be expendable for equal to better players with more athleticism and upside.

223089[/snapback]

Nodnarb, Price would not sign without a signing bonus and a contract for a few years. The minute he is traded, the entire bonus would count toward the Bills 05 cap.

Personally, I would like to keep him around. Not because he is great, but he is compared to the other backup OTs who have played for the Bills in the last 10 years.

Nodnarb--

Read up on Chris Henry, and like what I see for a #2 pick.

"No wideout in college is a better home-run threat. Averaged 25 yards per on 41 catches and was still learning. Ranked 36th on ESPN's Top 100."

Good enough for me.

I added him to the TSW Draft Board here:

TSW Draft Board

I'll read up on the others, too.

Astro

Mruczkowski , Nodnarb's #4 pick sounds good...

"First Team All-MAC in 2003 and 2004 ... holds school record for consecutive starts .... nominated for Lombardi Award (best lineman in college football) and Rimington Trophy which is given to the nation's top center ... helped lead the Falcons in scoring offense (43.6), pass offense (335.6), total offense (501.6), turnover margin (1.36) and sacks against (1.00) per game...also helped the team to a 4.7 yards per rush, which ranks second in the MAC."

Turns out we'd have to be careful in drafting him. There's another Mruczkowski that plays for Bowling Green. Small world.

I agree nodnarb with Bill that a sign and trade makes little sense for the Bills to do because any bonus becomes immediate dead space and if TD has demonstrated anything its that he hates deadspace.

Add to that I think you suscribe far more value to draft picks than TD has shown (he is happy to trade this fantasy asset for immediate real world contributions such as replacing RJ in 2002, in exchange for training time for JP as he correctly identified the QB draft class as weak this year, and has shown that picks can be required as he used tagging PP to produce a pick which became WM are real-life xamples of him seeing draft picks as little more than a tool rather than a value worthy of weighing us down with deadspace.

I'd go back to the drawing board on this one.

The Bills trade Henry to the Eagles Yes Eagles for their late 2nd round pick (#63). Dorsey won't be back and they want a pounder to complement their shifty Westbrook.

223078[/snapback]

I wonder how Henry would feel being dealt to a team to be the backup. I mean, he is a "top five back". :lol: