interesting show on PBS now

Pete

Its a documentary many hours long. PBS travels all around the USA and shows how different every regions speaks. From rural Texas to Compton to beaches in San Diego. Interesting. American english is such a complex language.

In Michigan people think we don't have accents. I say that’s impossible, everybody has an accent. Take the origin of the English language; I'm pretty sure no group of humans speak English the same way they did back then. Maybe I'm missing the big picture but if nobody speaks English the same way as when it originated wouldn't everybody have an accent?

Stupid response I know but I'm drinking so I'm smart. IMO the Michigan accent is very nasally, probably similar to WNY. Then again I'm sure other people would be more qualified to make that comparison then myself.

In Michigan people think we don't have accents. I say that’s impossible, everybody has an accent. Take the origin of the English language; I'm pretty sure no group of humans speak English the same way they did back then. Maybe I'm missing the big picture but if nobody speaks English the same way as when it originated wouldn't everybody have an accent?

Stupid response I know but I'm drinking so I'm smart. IMO the Michigan accent is very nasally, probably similar to WNY. Then again I'm sure other people would be more qualified to make that comparison then myself.

222850[/snapback]

I remember reading that people from South Dakota and Connecticut speak with the least accent and that for that reason many newscasters are from those two states. I went to Spring Break a few times and it was funny hearing everyones accents. I thought the deepest were Tennesee students. I have family in Kansas which I visit fairly often. They always make fun of my "accent" but they all speak with such drawls. Accents are subjective. Everyones speaks funny to someone from other regions. Hell you could travel to England or Ireland and not even realize they are speaking the same language as you. Drinking? Sounds good! I am trying to wake up to go out. Time for a redbull cocktail!

This seems like a good place for drinkers to post......so I'll chime in. I hate all accents. Fug em.

All I know is that as much as I hate it down here in the south, there is nothing sexier than a hot southern girl with a sweet southern accent. It's a huge turn on. That's the only good thing about the south.

When traveling the country (which I have done often for conferences) people will hear me say I'm from Buffalo. NY and often they will ask me how close is that to New York City.

I will reply that we're actually more midwestern in Buffalo than east coast. They generally seem to have trouble believing that, but when I give an example that here in Buffalo we call drinks like Coca-Cola "pop" as we did in Chicago where I grew up, but in NYC they call it "soda" you can see them begin to understand.

If the conversation calls for more examples I point out that while it is a 7-9 hour drive to NYC (depending on where you are going and the traffic) it only is about a 4-5 hour drive to Detroit over the top through Canada. Further, because the coast moves west as you go south it also is 8 hours to Philly and 8 hours to DC they begin to understand that geography is deceptive.

Its a funny country than how we normally think of it an language begins to tell the tale. It's a hoagie in some places, a sun in others, it;s a grinder to some and a hero to others. In Nawlins its a muffaleta, but pusch comes to shove they we all are lingusitically different its good eatin for most of us who really have much more in common than we have different.

growing up in erie, pa i was exposed to the rust belt/great lakes dialect

going to college near pittsburgh, i was exposesd to an entirely different and kinda f*cked up dialect in pittsburghese

moving to hampton roads va, i was exposed to southern dialect as well as those of the many transients (military and ex-military) from around the country

there's alot different and quite abit in common with the many regional dialects

but all things considered

pepsi, coke, dr pepper, etc = pop. its not soda!

It's a hoagie in some places, a sun in others, it;s a grinder to some and a hero to others.  In Nawlins its a muffaleta, but pusch comes to shove they we all are lingusitically different its good eatin for most of us who really have much more in common than we have different.

222892[/snapback]

Dont forget sub, torpedo, hero, bomber, poor boy, sarney, Italian sandwich......Man I love this country!

Dont forget sub, torpedo, hero, bomber, poor boy, sarney, Italian sandwich......Man I love this country!

222905[/snapback]

I would like to add: how do you pronounce gyro? I have heard many different ways. Drive around America and try and order one of these!

I would like to add:  how do you pronounce gyro?  I have heard many different ways.  Drive around America and try and order one of these!

222908[/snapback]

It’s hard to explain the correct pronunciation online but I'll give it a shot.

First drop the G sound, that’s the biggest mistake people make. The word is made of two syllables. Together its sounds like "heero". If you really want to get accurate the h at the beginning almost sounds like it has a g following it. It’s a spitty tongue rolling sound, kind of hard to explain online.

All hail Greece

growing up in erie, pa i was exposed to the rust belt/great lakes dialect

going to college near pittsburgh, i was exposesd to an entirely different and kinda f*cked up dialect in pittsburghese

moving to hampton roads va, i was exposed to southern dialect as well as those of the many transients (military and ex-military) from around the country

there's alot different and quite abit in common with the many regional dialects

but all things considered

pepsi, coke, dr pepper, etc = pop.  its not soda!

222893[/snapback]

No sh*t? Erie is my hometown, too..........I think R.Rich is from Erie, as well.

i hope it is on again because it is facinating the way we all speak, from pop/soda to "up-ers" to southerners. i bet it was a cool show

Its a documentary many hours long.  PBS travels all around the USA and shows how different every regions speaks.  From rural Texas to Compton to beaches in San Diego.  Interesting.  American english is such a complex language.

222846[/snapback]

Great Post....i'll be the first one to say that WNY'ers or former WNY'ers are the only people who speak "normal" Americanized English  :D

223264[/snapback]

That is true.... :w00t:

And if you guys really want to know how far you have to travel (from Buffalo) to run into somebody you won't be able to understand.....go about 140 miles south to around Franklin, PA.

"Ah reckon we doan see yo kind rounn heeahr" :w00t:

:w00t::w00t:

And if you guys really want to know how far you have to travel (from Buffalo) to run into somebody you won't be able to understand.....go about 140 miles south to around Franklin, PA.

When the hell were you in Franklin?

That thar is whare I dun live.....

Its a documentary many hours long.  PBS travels all around the USA and shows how different every regions speaks.  From rural Texas to Compton to beaches in San Diego.  Interesting.  American english is such a complex language.

222846[/snapback]

european people think americans speak an english that's hard to understand but personally the hardest english accent i've heard , totally impossible to understand, is the scottish Highlands'.... you wonder how they can find some many "R" in english words...