Grading Cyril Richardson

Bocephuz

After re-watching the game and focusing solely on LG Cyril Richardson .. here is what I saw

RUN GAME - Overall Grade +8

- WINS ( clearly won assignment/moved defender) 13

- DRAWS ( got double team help or did not win or lose) 11

- LOSS ( clearly missed assignment/lost one on one battle) 5

PASS GAME - Overall Grade -2

- WINS - 6

- DRAWS - 30

- LOSSES - 8

To sum it up, Richardson got quite a bit of help from Wood (probably 70% of snaps he was getting double team help from Wood) and when he was one on one he did very well in the Run game.. but was very shaky in Pass Protect. His initial punch is much more violent than Chris Williams however he does have trouble sustaining the block after the initial hit sometimes. Detroit ran a few pick plays where they crashed the DE into him and the DT stunted around the outside ( not much he could do on those plays). He was more physical than Fairley in the run game but Fairley's quickness off the snap on pass plays burned him several times when he was one on one and not getting help from Wood.

I'd expect the Bills to continue to have Wood giving Richardson double team help on passing downs.. which will put all the more pressure on Pears. I need to go back and see how Pears did this game..

Suh abused the entire line regardless of where he lined up.

I havent watched him on every play but overall I think Richardson has held his own and IMO should keep the job and maybe move Williams the RG and give Pears a nice seat on the bench

On the road, in his second start, against Suh and Fairley I will take it. This is a guy who had to learn how to play the position from scratch because of the offense and what he was taught to do at Baylor. He has a nice upside for sure. I think I would be happier with Richardson and Urbik as the guards and I don't think Urbik is any good.

Thanks for that breakdown a lot.

On the road, in his second start, against Suh and Fairley I will take it. This is a guy who had to learn how to play the position from scratch because of the offense and what he was taught to do at Baylor. He has a nice upside for sure. I think I would be happier with Richardson and Urbik as the guards and I don't think Urbik is any good.

Agreed. They are attacking him for good reason. If he strings together a couple more solid games, he'll get attacked less.

Edited by FireChan

Hmmm, PFF graded him -10.something. Said he was abused by Suh and Fairley, forcing Orton to check down, etc.

He was pretty rough in pass protect so I could see a negative grade there... however.. from what I saw he did OK in Run blocking... not sure how much PFF weights Run block vs. Pass Protect. His penalties definitely hurt him .. and all of the penalties looked to be legit.

Edited by Bocephuz

He was pretty rough in pass protect so I could see a negative grade there... however.. from what I saw he did OK in Run blocking... not sure how much PFF weights Run block vs. Pass Protect. His penalties definitely hurt him .. and all of the penalties looked to be legit.

I thought one of the holding calls against him was awful.

Or get Williams to RG when he returns and pears to the bench?

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

I'd still bring Williams back in at left guard. I honestly don't think he did a bad job through the first two games. He doesn't get sufficient push in the run game, but he has done a decent job in pass protection. I'd then slide Richardson to the right. He is getting good push in the run game, but is getting abused at times in pass protection and that is fundamentals and footwork which as has been mentioned he has had to learn from scratch compared to what they asked him to do at Baylor. In terms of balance I want my better pass protecting guard on the Quarterback's blindside and so I would bring Williams back there and slide Richardson across, benching Pears.

As for those calling for Urbik... his play against San Diego was brutal. I don't know what has happened to him but his play seems to have fallen off a cliff.