NY Times N.C.A.A. Fan Map Of The USA

PearlHowardman

Based on Facebook "likes":

http://www.nytimes.c...&abt=0002&abg=0

Q. Are the Syracuse Orange not popular in Buffalo? They barely register on above map. Are the Syracuse Orange not popular in Albany? They barely register on the map, too. The lower Hudson Valley/NYC/LI show little support for the Syracuse Orange.

So much for "New York's College Team".

Q. Are the Syracuse Orange not popular in Buffalo? They barely register on above map. Are the Syracuse Orange not popular in Albany? They barely register on the map, too. The lower Hudson Valley/NYC/LI show little support for the Syracuse Orange.

it seems like UB is trying to become the big college program in NYS.

Grew up a Cuse fan but they haven't played great since McNabb so as usual with losing teams the fan base dwindles

it seems like UB is trying to become the big college program in NYS.

A college football team located a few miles from Canada will never become a NYS college team.

SU football is big here in Syracuse, (duh), Utica-Rome, Binghamton-Elmira, Watertown, and Rochester. It should be big in Buffalo and Albany, too.

A college football team located a few miles from Canada will never become a NYS college team.

SU football is big here in Syracuse, (duh), Utica-Rome, Binghamton-Elmira, Watertown, and Rochester. It should be big in Buffalo and Albany, too.

Huh? Syracuse is private. Ann Arbor is only 50 miles from Canada and University of Michigan is Michigan's team...

I think public schools should be offered the status more than private institutions. Of course a school like Notre Dame is "Indiana"... But University of Indiana gets the flag ship status. Syracuse will never be New York's flag ship school.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Syracuse can still make that claim because there is no other college in NY state that plays with the "big boys".

UB might be trying to get there, but until they get out of the MAAC, and start winning consistently, Syracuse has nothing to worry about,

So Maine, NH and a fair chunk of Mass and RI is Gator country, huh?

Huh is right? You color blind? :nana: :nana:

You can't tell the difference between periwinkle (FLA Gators) and seafoam (what's shown in NE)? :nana: :nana:

Seafoam:

http://images.myperf...C00003494-2.jpg

Periwinkle:

http://www.thecolors...17-3932 TCX.jpg

Now, with that said... I can't figure out which team they are referring to up there in ME,MA,NH, & RI. I think it is closer to North Carolina...?? I think it is Boston College that gets the seafoam. UMass gets the shades of mauve:

http://1.bp.blogspot...ve df satin.jpg

IMHO... I think it is because of BC's location and how the region (NE) is divided between BC and UMass. So forget NC :lol: ... Poor "cartographers" (if you want to even call them that)... They should have repeated BC somewhere else on the map near NH or ME. Blame the lazy computers for losing this art of map making! :doh:

3,2,1... Waiting for Boyst to chime in and announce his love for all things NC and how all people should love NC for their college team. :nana:

Why the hell would they use that color for BC? Even know parts of ME and NH are barely distinguishable from Tobacco Road. :nana:

Now, with that said... I can't figure out which team they are referring to up there in ME,MA,NH, & RI. I think it is closer to North Carolina...?? I think it is Boston College that gets the seafoam. UMass gets the shades of mauve:

Perhaps if you understand the concept of color shading and the ability to zoom in on the map, you might be less confused. :nana:

Perhaps if you understand the concept of color shading and the ability to zoom in on the map, you might be less confused. :nana:

LMAO... I figured you'd hit me with that.

Honestly, I think that shade of green/blue up in New England is for BC. ?? UMass gets Springfield area and Boston... Boston College gets the other rural areas... Funny how they don't get their own area where they have the stadium, but other people in New England associate w/"Boston." They hate the "Mass Influence" yet root for the Boston teams. My BiL in Northern VT is like that... Go figure.

EDIT: I just seen it on my phone and Holy Crap KD... It looks like "perwinkle"... Much different on my computer... And my computer has multiple monitors!

Wow... What a crappy shading job on the map! ;-)

LMAO... I figured you'd hit me with that.

Honestly, I think that shade of green/blue up in New England is for BC. ?? UMass gets Springfield area and Boston... Boston College gets the other rural areas... Funny how they don't get their own area where they have the stadium, but other people in New England associate w/"Boston." They hate the "Mass Influence" yet root for the Boston teams. My BiL in Northern VT is like that... Go figure.

EDIT: I just seen it on my phone and Holy Crap KD... It looks like "perwinkle"... Much different on my computer... And my computer has multiple monitors!

Wow... What a crappy shading job on the map! ;-)

Once again...zoom in on the map where they show the top 3 teams by % in each zip code. That whole area has FL as the #1 team, with a mix of OSU/ND/Oregon in the #2 and #3 slots. Apparently no one outside of Boston gives a crap about BC. Even most of Cape Cod has FL is the favorite team! I'm sure we're dealing with small #s in these places, but the consistency of those results across such a large area is still surprising.

Syracuse does a nice job of holding almost all of 'upstate' NY.

Once again...zoom in on the map where they show the top 3 teams by % in each zip code. That whole area has FL as the #1 team, with a mix of OSU/ND/Oregon in the #2 and #3 slots. Apparently no one outside of Boston gives a crap about BC. Even most of Cape Cod has FL is the favorite team! I'm sure we're dealing with small #s in these places, but the consistency of those results across such a large area is still surprising.

Syracuse does a nice job of holding almost all of 'upstate' NY.

I just got to the computer... I have zoomed in on both my phone and computer. That can't be FLA. Is that color shade the lighter version of UNC?

It wold be really nice if they gave us a key like they did with MLB version of the map.

I just got to the computer... I have zoomed in on both my phone and computer. That can't be FLA. Is that color shade the lighter version of UNC?

It wold be really nice if they gave us a key like they did with MLB version of the map.

Do I have to call you an idiot on your 30,000th post?? You don't need the color (but it's light blue because it's a very diluted blend of FL's dark blue). Click on the map. Zoom in. Zoom in some more. Keep zooming in. Hold the mouse over somewhere in Maine. It actually says: "Florida Gators: 8%".

Do I have to call you an idiot on your 30,000th post?? You don't need the color (but it's light blue because it's a very diluted blend of FL's dark blue). Click on the map. Zoom in. Zoom in some more. Keep zooming in. Hold the mouse over somewhere in Maine. It actually says: "Florida Gators: 8%".

I did... I just don't see the "Florida Gators: 8%" ... Really, I guess I am an idiot! :D I absolutely don't see that diluted blend in FL's blue! I see it as a more UNC. What specific part of Maine? Bangor? :wallbash::nana:

I did... I just don't see the "Florida Gators: 8%" ... Really, I guess I am an idiot! :D I absolutely don't see that diluted blend in FL's blue! I see it as a more UNC. What specific part of Maine? Bangor? :wallbash::nana:

Bangor? I don't even know her! Plus, she roots for Florida!!

Bangor? I don't even know her! Plus, she roots for Florida!!

Men are notoriously color blind and/or bad with colors. She may be one of the few chicks with the extra cone in her eye!

I don't like it one bit... One bit! But I will take your word for it. I still don't see the notation. I will play the Stevie Wonder part, FLA is better than UNC (and even BC FWIW)! :-)

I do see "Notre Dame" on Long Island... WTF!

I want two days of my life back! LoL...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.