Tom Petty Poll

PO'14

Tom Petty  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is correct?

• DC Tom is A living legend
    • DC Tom is An American Icon
    • DC Tom is An above average humanitarian
    • DC Tom is not below average in any Jeopardy category
    • PO' 14 Irrelevant
    • PO' 14 is FOOLED AGAIN
    • MRags should stay

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to see Petty at Darien Lake on 9/7, the night after the Bills beat the Bears in the opener.

Before, we were wondering if Petty would mention the Bills, just like Bob Seger did 34 years to the day that we went to the Bills opener when they finally beat the Dolphins, and then the Seger concert that night.

He was so friggin stoned, that I'm sure he didn't know who the Bills were. He definitely didn't know where he was. He didn't mention Buffalo once..............He sounded OK during the songs (if you like them, which 90%, I don't), but between songs, he just mumbled things that barely and sometimes didn't make sense.

He is the polar opposite of Springsteen and Bono of connecting with the crowd and making it a communal experience.

Zero charisma.............He's got a few really good songs, but all those MTV songs from the 90s - they are dirges, that people only like because they've heard them a million times, due to payola I'm sure.

You ever see them in concert?

No. But I'm sure by 2016, they will somehow force me to.

Disclaimer: I was a U2 fan the day my grandmother, from the advice from the guy at Record Town, bought me the War album back in 83. Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire were phenomenal. Joshua Tree was great. Downhill and consistent selling out from there, although I've liked some of what they've done in the past 20 years.

But this latest in your face, you're gonna have this whether you want to or not, bull **** has crossed the line. And I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks to see the sons of bitches today.

I went to see Petty at Darien Lake on 9/7, the night after the Bills beat the Bears in the opener.

Before, we were wondering if Petty would mention the Bills, just like Bob Seger did 34 years to the day that we went to the Bills opener when they finally beat the Dolphins, and then the Seger concert that night.

He was so friggin stoned, that I'm sure he didn't know who the Bills were. He definitely didn't know where he was. He didn't mention Buffalo once..............He sounded OK during the songs (if you like them, which 90%, I don't), but between songs, he just mumbled things that barely and sometimes didn't make sense.

He is the polar opposite of Springsteen and Bono of connecting with the crowd and making it a communal experience.

Zero charisma.............He's got a few really good songs, but all those MTV songs from the 90s - they are dirges, that people only like because they've heard them a million times, due to payola I'm sure.

Saw petty last week. 18.000 strong singing And dancing. Sorry to see u didnt enjoy cuz he doesnt have interest in the lowly buffalo bills.

I don't really care what you think about U2 if you haven't seen them in concert. I'm saying how bad Petty is - and how he has no connection to the crowd like Bruce and Bono do. They both make you feel like you're part of something bigger than yourself.

Petty makes you feel like you're watching a stoned guy play a few decent tunes and a lot of mediocre ones. Nothing more.

Saw petty last week. 18.000 strong singing And dancing. Sorry to see u didnt enjoy cuz he doesnt have interest in the lowly buffalo bills.

I didn't enjoy it because he sucks.

I don't really care what you think about U2 if you haven't seen them in concert. I'm saying how bad Petty is - and how he has no connection to the crowd like Bruce and Bono do. They both make you feel like you're part of something bigger than yourself.

Petty makes you feel like you're watching a stoned guy play a few decent tunes and a lot of mediocre ones. Nothing more.

Why were u there?

There definitely were a lot of stoners and middle aged house wives singing those songs they heard so many times on the radio, though.............I'm free fallin with mary jane because you don't know how it feels.

Why were u there?

Because my friends wanted to go.

I tried talking myself into thinking he was good when I saw him in 1981. I've seen him probably 3-4 more times since and little has changed, except the songs got worse.

No Waiting, no Breakdown now. Just mary jane crap. The songs and what he was smoking.

Also, to see Steve Winwood. He was excellent, but only played about 7 songs.

They are acting, IMO. They don't know where they are, nor do they care. They are there to play music. They learn the name of the city and the pronunciation and they say, "WE LOVE YOU EAST BUM!@#$!!!" But they don't mean it.

Tom Petty has earned far more stripes than U2, in my opinion, and I'm not even a Petty fan, per se. Bruce Springsteen ... ultimate showman. Of course he's going to make the crowd feel "connected," but he's there because it's his job. Yes, he loves playing, but it's his career.

Don't get down on Tom Petty for not faking it. Respect him for it.

They are acting, IMO. They don't know where they are, nor do they care. They are there to play music. They learn the name of the city and the pronunciation and they say, "WE LOVE YOU EAST BUM!@#$!!!" But they don't mean it.

Tom Petty has earned far more stripes than U2, in my opinion, and I'm not even a Petty fan, per se. Bruce Springsteen ... ultimate showman. Of course he's going to make the crowd feel "connected," but he's there because it's his job. Yes, he loves playing, but it's his career.

Don't get down on Tom Petty for not faking it. Respect him for it.

Respect him for not giving a crap about his fans. OK.

In nobody's world does Tom Petty have more stripes than U2.

Tom Petty has never done PROMO, never lied to his fans. He has always stated that its about 2 hours of music and trying to make good albums. I like Bruce but he is over the top crazy, HOWEVER, You can tell he and his band are having fun. Bono on the other hand is such a fake, a bull **** and knows how to get attention and make TONS of $$$$!

To each their own BBB. Todays music is all crap, samples, ripoffs. Nice to see Original artists able to play live music like Tom, Tool, Foo Fighters, Bruce, Steve Winwood, Neil Young, Bob Dylan. THe end is near, so relax and enjoy!

Edited by PO'14

Really?

I wonder if Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison ever considered making albums with Bono.

Tom Petty has earned his stripes 10-fold compared to Bono Vox.

I wonder if Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison ever considered making albums with Bono.

Ah, yes, the "Tom Petty doesn't suck because he was in the Travelling Wilburys" argument. Ignoring that:

1) The Travelling Wilburys weren't all that great,

2) Tom Petty was the biggest reason for that.

3) Everyone else in that project carried Tom Petty.

The Travelling Wilburys is what you get when the Make-a-Wish Foundation says "Hey, we've got a mentally-challenged stoner kid who wants to be in a band with Orbison, Harrison, and Dylan!"

And Tom Petty's suckitude doesn't preclude U2 from also sucking. But I'll still take the pretentious hippie U2 listeners over the pretentious stoner

Ah, yes, the "Tom Petty doesn't suck because he was in the Travelling Wilburys" argument. Ignoring that:

The Travelling Wilburys is what you get when the Make-a-Wish Foundation says "Hey, we've got a mentally-challenged stoner kid who wants to be in a band with Orbison, Harrison, and Dylan!"

And Tom Petty's suckitude doesn't preclude U2 from also sucking. But I'll still take the pretentious hippie U2 listeners over the pretentious stoner

I'm not saying Tom Petty is great; nor am I saying that U2 sucks.

I'm saying that Tom Petty - like him or not - is a highly respected person in his field. And he is highly respected by legends. I don't believe that's the case with Bono.

I've never bought a Tom Petty album in my life. I've bought many U2 albums. But I think Tom Petty is a more genuine rock and roll star than Bono ever dreamed of being.

Tom Petty has never sold out. Never even come close to it.

Selling out is what Bono and U2 have been doing since the early 90s.

Tell ya one thing that carries Petty...its the Heartbreakers. Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Steve Ferrone, Scott Thurston and Ron Blair.

Do you know what his background was for this year's tour? A Curtain.

Go see what bull **** special effects U2, Katie Perrry, MIley Cyrus, RIhanna have to put up to make you forget that you are actually listening to crap music.

Edited by PO'14

Tell one thing that carries Petty...its the Heartbreakers. Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Steve Ferrone, Scott Thurston and Ron Blair.

Do you know what his background was for this year's tour? A Curtain.

Go see what bull **** special effects U2, Katie Perrry, MIley Cyrus, RIhanna have to put up to make you forget that you are actually listening to crap music.

In fairness, you can listen to any bar band and most of them are just as talented as TP and the Heartbreakers. Let's be honest.

In fairness, you can listen to any bar band and most of them are just as talented as TP and the Heartbreakers. Let's be honest.

Wow!

Benmont Tench has played on/with over 200 artists in his career.

Mike Campbell wrote songs for Don Henley.

Steve Ferrone is the ex-drummer of Eric Clapton

We are not talking bar bands here my friend!

Edited by PO'14

Wow!

Benmont Tench has played on/with over 200 artists in his career.

Mike Campbell wrote songs for Don Henley.

Steve Ferrone is the ex-drummer of Eric Clapton

We are not talking bar bands here my friend!

Don Henley sang songs about "dirty laundry" and "all she wants to do is dance." That is crap. did he write those?

Blues drummers are not known for their killer beats.

CC Deville has played with over 200 artists in his career, too. Does that mean he's a great guitarist?