Tom Petty Poll

PO'14

Tom Petty  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is correct?

• DC Tom is A living legend
    • DC Tom is An American Icon
    • DC Tom is An above average humanitarian
    • DC Tom is not below average in any Jeopardy category
    • PO' 14 Irrelevant
    • PO' 14 is FOOLED AGAIN
    • MRags should stay

Don Henley sang songs about "dirty laundry" and "all she wants to do is dance." That is crap. did he write those?

Blues drummers are not known for their killer beats.

CC Deville has played with over 200 artists in his career, too. Does that mean he's a great guitarist?

No, he wrote his most famous song BOYS OF SUMMER.

Here is a list of who Benmont Tench has recorded or played for: ( its just a small bar band list ): Johnny Cash, U2, Elisa, Stevie Nicks, Lucinda Williams, Sam Phillips, You Am I, Susanna Hoffs, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, The Rolling Stones, Don Henley, John Prine, Ringo Starr,John Fogerty, Elvis Costello, Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow, Waylon Jennings, Paul Westerberg, X, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Carlene Carter, The dB's, Alanis Morissette, The Ramones,The Screaming Trees, Warren Zevon, The Tragically Hip, The Divinyls, The Goo Goo Dolls, Green Day, The Cult, The Jayhawks, Dave Rawlings, Fiona Apple, Lone Justice, Sean Watkins, New Found Glory, Tift Merritt, Peter Case, Neil Diamond, Ryan Adams

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

Benmont Tench has played on/with over 200 artists in his career.

Mike Campbell wrote songs for Don Henley.

Steve Ferrone is the ex-drummer of Eric Clapton

We are not talking bar bands here my friend!

So your counter-argument to "Tom Petty sucks" is "No, he doesn't! He's surrounded by well-respected musicians!"

That makes him, what, the EJ Manuel of musicians: he doesn't suck, because he;s surrounded by talent?

So your counter-argument to "Tom Petty sucks" is "No, he doesn't! He's surrounded by well-respected musicians!"

That makes him, what, the EJ Manuel of musicians: he doesn't suck, because he;s surrounded by talent?

Nope, the comment is in regards to Gugny saying they are just as talented as most bar bands.

Tom Petty has never done PROMO, never lied to his fans. He has always stated that its about 2 hours of music and trying to make good albums. I like Bruce but he is over the top crazy, HOWEVER, You can tell he and his band are having fun. Bono on the other hand is such a fake, a bull **** and knows how to get attention and make TONS of $$$$!

To each their own BBB. Todays music is all crap, samples, ripoffs. Nice to see Original artists able to play live music like Tom, Tool, Foo Fighters, Bruce, Steve Winwood, Neil Young, Bob Dylan. THe end is near, so relax and enjoy!

I agree with you on today's music. At least the stuff on the radio. It IS all crap.

Really?

I wonder if Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison ever considered making albums with Bono.

Tom Petty has earned his stripes 10-fold compared to Bono Vox.

This would be like saying John Mellencamp has earned his stripes tenfold compared to John Lennon. Even though I love Mellencamp and don't like Lennon, I realize that that is just wrong.

I read an article in Rolling Stone sometime this year talking about how Petty really got saved by the Wilburys. His life was really bottoming out in the 80s, and that pretty much saved him.

I'm not saying Tom Petty is great; nor am I saying that U2 sucks.

I'm saying that Tom Petty - like him or not - is a highly respected person in his field. And he is highly respected by legends. I don't believe that's the case with Bono.

I've never bought a Tom Petty album in my life. I've bought many U2 albums. But I think Tom Petty is a more genuine rock and roll star than Bono ever dreamed of being.

Tom Petty has never sold out. Never even come close to it.

Selling out is what Bono and U2 have been doing since the early 90s.

Tom Petty never sold out?!? No, all those crappy MTV songs in the 90s weren't sell outs.

This would be like saying John Mellencamp has earned his stripes tenfold compared to John Lennon. Even though I love Mellencamp and don't like Lennon, I realize that that is just wrong.

I read an article in Rolling Stone sometime this year talking about how Petty really got saved by the Wilburys. His life was really bottoming out in the 80s, and that pretty much saved him.

Tom Petty never sold out?!? No, all those crappy MTV songs in the 90s weren't sell outs.

You're gonna have to explain the Mellencamp/Lennon analogy to me. I don't get it.

And those crappy MTV songs in the 90s were not a separation from his earlier music. Totally not a sell out.

Odd, his most successful álbum came out a year before the wilburys. He bottomed out twice, in 85 Making southern accents And in 1993-4 when he divorced And howie epstein died of heroín od

Petty was an innovator in the músic videos. Staying up as a child to watch friday vídeos was awesome.

Edited by PO'14

Odd, his most successful álbum came out a year before the wilburys. He bottomed out twice, in 85 Making southern accents And in 1993-4 when he divorced And howie epstein died of heroín od

I thought Epstein died of the embarrassment of playing with Tom Petty.

Petty was an innovator in the músic videos. Staying up as a child to watch friday vídeos was awesome.

:lol: What innovation? Telling an incoherent version of Alice in Wonderland to an incoherent song about something entirely unlike Alice in Wonderland? Proving once and for all that you don't need looks or skills to get on TV, thus opening the door for no-talent ugly-ass hacks around the country to create music videos?

I thought Epstein died of the embarrassment of playing with Tom Petty.

:lol: What innovation? Telling an incoherent version of Alice in Wonderland to an incoherent song about something entirely unlike Alice in Wonderland? Proving once and for all that you don't need looks or skills to get on TV, thus opening the door for no-talent ugly-ass hacks around the country to create music videos?

I rather watch his Madmax video.

But you seem to think to know alot about Petty for someone who hates him!

If he didn't, then you'd be saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Is it your contention that Tom actually loves Petty and all this is just a put on?

As Gru would say: " light bulb"

My worst nightmare: Tom Petty doing a cover of "Friday." :sick:

C'mon man, you've had a trump card in your sleeve all along. PO is from Canada, the country that produced nickelback. And he's trying to assert superior taste to ours.