Anybody wish Pettine was still here.

rfk

I'm concerned that Schwartz is too slow to adjust and react. Looked very much like a Wannstache defense. WHY would Preston Brown EVER be covering a fast WR? That shouldn't even be an option. Robey was on bench many times when Chargers had 3 WR sets. Also, where was the blitz?

I'm concerned that Schwartz is too slow to adjust and react. Looked very much like a Wannstache defense. WHY would Preston Brown EVER be covering a fast WR? That shouldn't even be an option. Robey was on bench many times when Chargers had 3 WR sets. Also, where was the blitz?

I like Schwartz's focus on stopping the run and overall defense....but agree with you. If he could do what he does AND improve adapting during the game, matchups and blitzing he could do something excellent. The talent on this defense has more ability than Schwartz is using. It is bend but don't brake. Too much Jauron ish. Let's see if Schwartz adapts as the year goes on. If so...we should make the playoffs. If not...not so much. Fingers crossed....go Bills!!!

I like Schwartz's focus on stopping the run and overall defense....but agree with you. If he could do what he does AND improve adapting during the game, matchups and blitzing he could do something excellent. The talent on this defense has more ability than Schwartz is using. It is bend but don't brake. Too much Jauron ish. Let's see if Schwartz adapts as the year goes on. If so...we should make the playoffs. If not...not so much. Fingers crossed....go Bills!!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt that marrone's responsibility too? To offset the weaknesses of the assistants and push them to get out of limiting habits?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I do, because I like the attitude his D brings. I am fine with current D, stopping the run is huge! Wish we were more aggressive with our DBs at the line of scrimmage and rushed 5-6 guys more often. Our DBs have the speed to recover and they have to recover anyways when they play off the WRs.

Won't touch the qb thing as it tends to get me in trouble and mischaracterized.

But Wanny didn't do anything well. Sucked v run, sucked v pass, sucked at pressure. Pedestrian blitz packages without any coverage risk management.

Schwarz's achieves some things that Pettine didn't v the run, but pass rush stuff is way less fancy and unpredictable.

I'd be interested to see how the brown look v SD but won't get that anytime soon apparently.

Don't take this as me saying wanny was good but I'm

Guessing Schwartz would look awful if Hughes went down then kw went down then Mario was playing hurt then Dareus checked out... Both lean so heavy on the front four. I'm not sure what Schwartz would do

Edited by NoSaint

I miss the aggressive attitude of Pettine's defense. I wish Schwartz would bring more pressure, and mix up the style of defense more. The key to winning football games(well, one of them anyway), is to kepp the other team guessing, and off-balance. If they don't know what to expect, we have an advantage. Schwartz is too predictable at this point, and that MUST change. Or teams will adapt and eat us up.

Anyone remember the quick start with Bledsoe, then teams figured out how to attack him, and we didn't adjust and stop it. We lose.

I miss the aggressive attitude of Pettine's defense. I wish Schwartz would bring more pressure, and mix up the style of defense more. The key to winning football games(well, one of them anyway), is to kepp the other team guessing, and off-balance. If they don't know what to expect, we have an advantage. Schwartz is too predictable at this point, and that MUST change. Or teams will adapt and eat us up.

Anyone remember the quick start with Bledsoe, then teams figured out how to attack him, and we didn't adjust and stop it. We lose.

Schwartz uses a front four that rush heavy in both ability and scheme to give him 7 to cover the back side. It's much like the Giants with spags, or what we've seen in Detroit. It has pros and cons

Agreed. I don't have a problem with his scheme, or "base" defense. I just want him to throw in more Blitzes to help the front 4 and keep the other guys guessing.

I love our run "d", but we must get pressure at times, and he still runs Base, no pressure...its why we didnt get off the field on 3rd down this past week....

Well if I can't have petinne then lets get his daddy when the Jets let him go...I want defensive mayhem and complex schemes not Weinstadt/Shwartz stay with the plan even when it is failing.

crossed my mind today, after another Ryan coaching for his job article blurb

again .

A 60 to 80 yard march and ZERO points ......

the D stats are bad and good. your D gave up chunks of yards, but kept the most important stat from happening points

Thats our Jim !!!! :thumbsup:

Agreed. I don't have a problem with his scheme, or "base" defense. I just want him to throw in more Blitzes to help the front 4 and keep the other guys guessing.

I love our run "d", but we must get pressure at times, and he still runs Base, no pressure...its why we didnt get off the field on 3rd down this past week....

I would have liked to see some press coverage in a 3-4 against SD

protect the middle of the field.

Hindsight is a funny thing.

Pettine best quality was NOT his Blitz. it was his disguising with alignments and movement. That was a lot of fun pre snap for me to watch.

Jim's D is a work in progress here in Buffalo. I have been pissed about the SanDiego and overly critical.

But lets see how the Bills recover from the Rivers/ Reich method .

we have schwartz , let give him some love

Edited by 3rdand12

I think the defense has preformed OK to above average not sure if it would be better or worse under Pettine. Schwartz defense is a lot better against the run but its not that great at getting pressure on the QB and the secondary doesn't seem to be playing as well (Byrd not being there could also be a factor).

Pettine's defenses were much more aggressive towards rushing the passer but they weren't as disciplined against the run, and it showed in how they got gashed in the run game a lot. Schwartz defense seems to rely on the front 4 holding their rush lanes and rushing the passer, but he doesn't blitz much and the secondary doesn't seem to be doing as well with less pressure on the QB.

Overall I think the defenses accomplish different things (Pettine much better pass rush, Schwartz much better against the run), but their effectiveness isn't much better or worse.

not sure if this is typical media hype (or if it warrants it's own thread)

Preston Brown - chasing The Legend of Kiko Alonso's ghost

http://www.democrata...drive/16244301/

For three weeks, Brown has done just that, playing his converge-on-the-ballcarrier style from whichever linebacker spot the Bills choose to use him.

He leads the Bills — and all NFL rookies — in tackles (16 solo, 15 assisted) and has been on the field for every defensive snap.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

not sure if this is typical media hype (or if it warrants it's own thread)

Preston Brown - chasing The Legend of Kiko Alonso's ghost

http://www.democrata...drive/16244301/

For three weeks, Brown has done just that, playing his converge-on-the-ballcarrier style from whichever linebacker spot the Bills choose to use him.

He leads the Bills — and all NFL rookies — in tackles (16 solo, 15 assisted) and has been on the field for every defensive snap.

simply being a rookie LB thats on the field 100% of snaps should have him in a small group in the running for most tackles by a rookie.