Has Roger Goodell's Handling of Ray Rice Incident Devalued the NFL

BonJovi

It doesn't sit well with me if Goodell tried to sit on that video tape. But the logical part of me says, "you saw that woman getting dragged out of an elevator, what did you expect?" And that's the rub. I found the video disturbing, but it's just evidence of the crime he was charged and punished for. Should he have been punished more severely at first? Sure.

Will the NFL be devalued because many Americans had an "out of sight, out of mind" attitude to the domestic abuse case? Nope. I won't stop watching. I don't care if Goodell "did his job" adequately or not. I watch football for entertainment and the actions of one person doesn't change that.

There are murderers, dog fighters, drunken man slaughterers etc. in the NFL. Hasn't stopped it yet.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if Goodell "did his job" adequately or not. I watch football for entertainment and the actions of one person doesn't change that.

There are murderers, dog fighters, drunken man slaughterers etc. in the NFL. Hasn't stopped it yet.

Nice

That's cool.

I honestly can't relate to how mad and worked up a lot of people have gotten about this whole thing. Ray Rice is a deuche. He is now basically out of the NFL because he got caught being a thug on video. I thought Goodell did his job. I think Goodell probably thought the accusations weren't as bad as they sounded. Players get accused of things all the time. So he had a light penalty at first. Then he sees the video and realizes that it is worse than he every thought. So Ray Rice gets suspended. And now people want to hang Goodell for not suspending him originally. And they are accusing him of lying about the video. I may be wrong but I believed him when he said he didn't see the video earlier.

So I see the whole thing as Roger Goodell being made a scapegoat for the thug like behavior of Ray Rice. And that is a shame in my opinion. I just think the general public should butt out of it. Leave all this to Ray Rice, his wife, their families and the police. It's not about football. The whole thing has been blown way out of porportion just like the OJ trial was. That is my opinion.

You really think he didn't think the accusations were as bad as they sounded? How can you say that with a straight face? EVERYBODY (except for maybe thugs and wife beaters) knew exactly what happened and thought he was a piece of **** without having to see that video.

Tell me...what could have possibly happened on that elevator that led to this scum bag dragging a woman who was out senseless out of an elevator? We all saw that video months ago. Do you really think that she tripped and fell and knocked herself out? Did you think she had it coming because she was hitting him first?

It's been well documented how disgusting and repulsive what RR did to his wife, and deserves the punishment he is getting from the law, media' and NFL.

Now as far as value, this is story that will die down, future players will be significantly punished, and the NFL will move on. Mit's a $9 billion industry and growing.

The $1.4 billion is not necessarily a bad investment as there is two expected increases in TV revenue coming. 1st the big jump from the networks, and then an additional revenue stream from the TR night dollars. CBS bid on 8 games with some serious money, but that is just the beginning.

It's been reported it will go to an open bid from all networks for the whole 16 games for tr nights. How much do you bet the game tonight will be sold out. My point is simply this is bad press for the NFL, but it will not affect the pocket book of any NFL team.

Nice

Like it or not, FireChan hit the nail on the head. This kind of thing has been happening in the NFL for years, but people still watch because they're football fans, period. And the men on the field are paid because they're good at fooball, period, not because of their outstanding morals. I understand that the graffic nature of this incident hits close to home for some people because it stirs up a desire to protect their wives or daughters, and that's a good thing. Also a good thing is the fact that this incident has caused the NFL to make some very strict policies regarding domestic violence in the future.

But I'm not going to sit here and say that what Goodell did (if anything, assuming he actually saw the in-elevator video) was "as bad, or worse" than what Ray Rice did. Come on man. Really? Worse? Because if you think that, now I need to question whether or not you've seen the video!

Just like all the other incidents that have happened, this too shall pass. I'd be willing to bet people will be done talking about it by next week.

Regarding the Pegula's and the more expensive bid: It's pretty simple in my opinion... They're fans. Their decisions weren't straight business, but also emotional, and I think they were willing to pay more if it meant insuring the future of the franchise in Buffalo. We should be happy for them, not feeling like they got the raw end of the deal. They own the Bills!

If so, Mr. Pegula and his wife may want to reconsider their ridiculously generous offer.

I am completely serious ... This NEW information about the NFL having the Video in Question was not available before the Pegula's made their bid on the Bills.

Seeing that it is highly doubtful that the deal has been consummated, and considering this new information, and frankly considering the Pegula's "more than generous" offer, I believe the possibility exists that the sale price will ultimately go for less than the almost 1.4 billion bid that was made.

And really, does the Wilson estate actually believe that the Pegula's should pay nearly 400 million dollars more than the next highest bidder?

i don't think it devalues the NFL at all and it would not have affected Pegula's offer. Rice admitted he hit her long before the video came out. The fact that he hit the woman should have surprised no one when the video came out.

The fact that the NFL had the video just shows that the NFL is comprised of scumbags who are more concerned with the tarnishing of their brand and the fiscal impact than anything else. But again, this is not news to anyone who follows the NFL.

We will never truly know what all the bids were for the Bills. But if Pegula outbid by 400 million he made a uncharacteristic mistake.

Yea you have a point. Get ready for everyone who disagrees to come attack you though

If so, Mr. Pegula and his wife may want to reconsider their ridiculously generous offer.

I am completely serious ... This NEW information about the NFL having the Video in Question was not available before the Pegula's made their bid on the Bills.

Seeing that it is highly doubtful that the deal has been consummated, and considering this new information, and frankly considering the Pegula's "more than generous" offer, I believe the possibility exists that the sale price will ultimately go for less than the almost 1.4 billion bid that was made.

And really, does the Wilson estate actually believe that the Pegula's should pay nearly 400 million dollars more than the next highest bidder?

Two posters with a total of 84 posts between them agreeing with one another on a ridiculous concept?

Nah.

Pure speculation , but its very possible Harbaugh himself recieved the tape IMO.

Explains GM and ownership staying clear and how someone from the NFL could have recieved the tape without Goodell himself actually looking at it.

Again , all speculation on my part

That wouldn't explain anything.

The AP report claimed that a "high level NFL executive", as in an executive that works for the NFL at a high level, received the tape.

Harbaugh does not work for the NFL; he works for the Ravens.

Pure speculation , but its very possible Harbaugh himself recieved the tape IMO.

Explains GM and ownership staying clear and how someone from the NFL could have recieved the tape without Goodell himself actually looking at it.

Again , all speculation on my part

I don't buy that explanation for a second. No way Harbaugh was only one watching those tapes. There had to be a second viewer. Perhaps "Grassy" Chuck Noll?

How does a voice answering a phone guarantee anything? how about a name?

Call should be traceable, how about the number?

So a law enforcement official that did not have permission to distribute the tape, who did so anyway, is supposed to give permission to an AP writer to publish his name?

You're showing a fair amount of naivety here if you believe that.

Also, the AP report said that the officer played a voicemail from a league official saying they received it, and also had an email saying it was received and thanking them.

I'm pretty sure anyone that reported that would eventually be asked by investigators to produce such evidence, so writing it when it isn't true would be a pretty grievous offense.

Per usual, duck's opinions are in no way reflective of what has happened, what is known, or what was reported.

This one is particularly astounding.