TMQ (Gregg Easterbrook) on Buffalo/stadium

YoloinOhio

I read part of it. What I don't understand is why we NEED a new stadium like Roger says. Why doesn't Green Bay or Kansas City or Chicago need new stadiums? theirs are older than ours. With the new renovations we have all the new amenities new stadiums do. I've been to Seattle's new stadium many times. While its newer, its really not much different than the Ralph. The Ralph also already has luxury boxes. And now big screens.

If the owners of the Bills are satisfied with the revenue they get out of it, why doesn't Roger get off our back. If the Glitz Football League loves the fans as the continually say, then stop soaking us by requiring big taxpayer funded stadiums.

If it weren't for football, I'd hate the NFL.

The answer is that we do NOT need a new stadium at all, but the NFL wants a new stadium because it is a great source for profits they can get apiece of.

Even better for the NFL they are quite likely to get a huge corporate welfare subsidy from NYS to pay for this cash cow.

In general stadiums are a bad fiscal investment. However the ruling factor here will not be economic logic but raw politics. Though the investment makes no sense for NYS it makes sense for WNY as it would receive all the collateral benefit while only bearing a small % of the cists ti taxpayers.

Eastbrook also has this impressively correct in that he understands that the true customer is NOT the local market but the TV audience.

Even if there is a choice btw Buffalo and Toronto the NFL choose both!

The Bills will stay here. Bank on it.

I read part of it. What I don't understand is why we NEED a new stadium like Roger says. Why doesn't Green Bay or Kansas City or Chicago need new stadiums? theirs are older than ours. With the new renovations we have all the new amenities new stadiums do. I've been to Seattle's new stadium many times. While its newer, its really not much different than the Ralph. The Ralph also already has luxury boxes. And now big screens.

If the owners of the Bills are satisfied with the revenue they get out of it, why doesn't Roger get off our back. If the Glitz Football League loves the fans as the continually say, then stop soaking us by requiring big taxpayer funded stadiums.

I believe the issue is one of momentum and leverage. Right now, lawmakers are tuned into and are arguably on the hook to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. They are working with the NFL to make a positive impression on new owners. This may all evaporate once a new owner is named.

I believe the issue is one of momentum and leverage. Right now, lawmakers are tuned into and are arguably on the hook to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. They are working with the NFL to make a positive impression on new owners. This may all evaporate once a new owner is named.

This is what I hope happens. Once the team is sold the new owner will tell Roger to pound salt and not build a new stadium.

Greg Easterbrook is very intelligent and reasonable man. I recomend his book Sonic Boom.

http://www.amazon.co...egg easterbrook

He makes reading about the powers of Globilization interesting.

The Jabroni's in charge of Buffalo, the 4,000 municipalities in Erie County, the Eric County Executive office, and Albany are not very intelligent and reasonable men. Those incompetent nincompoops can't build a bridge, let alone revitalize a downtown area in the second biggest City in the State.

It would take some major cash by the Bills owner to build a new stadium in downtown Buffalo. A Pegula funded stadium with Golisano greasing the wheels is a possibility for a downtown stadium, the owner would have to be comfortable with amount of bribery and extortion it would take to build the stadium. Other than that I don't see the Jabroni's in charge of the Public Money in Erie County and New York State to be able to get their heads out of their collective arses to build a model of a stadium let alone an actual restructured Buffalo downtown with an NFL football stadium.

Edited by Why So Serious?