GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

I just can’t believe they dropped a full schedule last week to get everyone fired up and then a few days later cancelled the season even though nothing had changed. I’m having a hard time processing all this. One thing I will say is that there is no way tOSU leaves the B1G over this after a century-long relationship. 

45 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

I just can’t believe they dropped a full schedule last week to get everyone fired up and then a few days later cancelled the season even though nothing had changed. I’m having a hard time processing all this. One thing I will say is that there is no way tOSU leaves the B1G over this after a century-long relationship. 

I think they felt they needed to put out a schedule but weren’t ready to make a final decision - even when that dropped, Warren made it sound like there might not be a season and every time gene smith has spoken over the last month or so he sounded very pessimistic. I kept brushing it off but the signs were there. 

17 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Lots of parent groups from different schools have sent this kind of letter. The deadline in the OSU letter suggests potential litigation. 

Honestly if the ncaa would allow waivers this would not have happened. It’s all about liability and amateurism.  

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Honestly if the ncaa would allow waivers this would not have happened. It’s all about liability and amateurism.  

The NCAA is a mess. Maybe the P5 should take this opportunity to opt out and do their own thing. Full scholarships, academic support, life training support like “Real Life Wednesdays” at OSU, athletes can make money on their likeness, best of the best facilities and training, honest draft evaluations and consultation on when to leave early... just do what everyone wants to do at that level and stop pretending that the athletes are just like any other students. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

The NCAA is a mess. Maybe the P5 should take this opportunity to opt out and do their own thing. Full scholarships, academic support, life training support like “Real Life Wednesdays” at OSU, athletes can make money on their likeness, best of the best facilities and training, honest draft evaluations and consultation on when to leave early... just do what everyone wants to do at that level and stop pretending that the athletes are just like any other students. 

And they refuse to actually “bubble” then because it would admit they aren’t students above all else, meanwhile they are essentially bubbled at the whac yet not allowed to say that. So over it 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

And they refuse to actually “bubble” then because it would admit they aren’t students above all else, meanwhile they are essentially bubbled at the whac yet not allowed to say that. So over it 

Exactly — just acknowledge what everyone already knows and wants and do it above board. 

Edited by Willyville Guy

Snook is a credible former CFB reporter and book author and very plugged in at osu. He was all over the urban /Zach smith story a couple years ago. He wouldn’t put this out there if he didn’t have real sources. 

There is another guy, Sir Yacht, on Twitter who has been saying similar things for a week, but doesnt have the credibility yet. The snook stuff at least made made me sit up and have some hope. But the Nebraska pres and mark pantoni are both now following sir yacht on Twitter.

what a time to be alive 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Snook is a credible former CFB reporter and book author and very plugged in at osu. He was all over the urban /Zach smith story a couple years ago. He wouldn’t put this out there if he didn’t have real sources. 

There is another guy, Sir Yacht, on Twitter who has been saying similar things for a week, but doesnt have the credibility yet. The snook stuff at least made made me sit up and have some hope. But the Nebraska pres and mark pantoni are both now following sir yacht on Twitter.

what a time to be alive 

I was hoping to never again have to troll Facebook for breaking news every hour after... the last time...

25 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

I was hoping to never again have to troll Facebook for breaking news every hour after... the last time...

Seriously. I’m depending on other people to stalk his FB and pull it over to twitter. Clay hall with channel 6 talked to snook and confirmed the report. Austin ward with lettermen row still thinks it’s not real. I suppose there is the Possibility that snook is being given false info by someone with tOSU. I just find it way too quiet on the B1G front right now. They haven’t commented on anything at all to the media in 8 days. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seriously. I’m depending on other people to stalk his FB and pull it over to twitter. Clay hall with channel 6 talked to snook and confirmed the report. Austin ward with lettermen row still thinks it’s not real. I suppose there is the Possibility that snook is being given false info by someone with tOSU. I just find it way too quiet on the B1G front right now. They haven’t commented on anything at all to the media in 8 days. 

Right, and the vacuum created by the silence from the school and the league is why we have unaffiliated reporters like Sir Yacht and Snook (who may be perfectly credible; I don't know) stepping into the void with their sources and stirring up all kinds of drama and expectations.  Bill Rabinowitz had a promising report earlier this week, which is the most credible source yet as far as I can tell. 

I still can't believe Fields can go out like that -- apparently he doesn't either.

4 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Right, and the vacuum created by the silence from the school and the league is why we have unaffiliated reporters like Sir Yacht and Snook (who may be perfectly credible; I don't know) stepping into the void with their sources and stirring up all kinds of drama and expectations.  Bill Rabinowitz had a promising report earlier this week, which is the most credible source yet as far as I can tell. 

I still can't believe Fields can go out like that -- apparently he doesn't either.

And with Day and gene smith rooting fields on with his campaign is telling. Fields was on good morning America this morning asking for transparency from the B1G. James Franklin basically lit Kevin Warren on fire in his media availability today. Apparently no one is aligned with the commissioner’s approach and lack of explanation. At least not the heavy hitters in the conference 

This is per Nevada Buck today.... we will see 

• 2 minutes ago
Checked in with the Third Wiseman who is the authority on all things "television" related when it comes to Ohio State....

Here is what he had to offer....

"There were a series of meetings last week between the BIG and their television partners(primarily FOX).

Here is what is being proposed.

1) Practice would begin formally right after Thanksgiving.

2) With students off campuses the idea is that it would be easier to create a "bubble like" environment for them to prepare

3) Season would commence on Jan 1st

4) Games would be located in the three Midwestern dome sites of Indy, Detroit and Minneapolis

5) Proposal is supported by the majority of BIG schools---with OSU pushing this concept

6) OSU believes this provides them with the best chance to keep their team relatively intact for this season

Not a perfect solution---but under the circumstances the best we might get.....more to follow as I hear..."

Take it FWIW...but I think the Wiseman has this nailed.....

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

6) OSU believes this provides them with the best chance to keep their team relatively intact for this season

At this point I really don't care that much about an abbreviated B1G season in January. I mean obviously I'll watch and if the other schools are competing for a championship then I guess I'll want OSU in the mix.  But if Fields and Wade and others who were supposed to play this fall won't play, then I'd almost rather see the program gear up for the 2021 season and be done with it.

The part quoted above hit me hard though -- if Day thinks the team/program could potentially fall apart if they take a year off then get the man whatever he needs.

2 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

At this point I really don't care that much about an abbreviated B1G season in January. I mean obviously I'll watch and if the other schools are competing for a championship then I guess I'll want OSU in the mix.  But if Fields and Wade and others who were supposed to play this fall won't play, then I'd almost rather see the program gear up for the 2021 season and be done with it.

The part quoted above hit me hard though -- if Day thinks the team/program could potentially fall apart if they take a year off then get the man whatever he needs.

It seems like fields, Wade, Davis, Myers... guys like they want to play if not only to get better before going to to the nfl. Won’t necessarily be a good thing to not have played in 15 months when showing up to an nfl minicamp. Also fields and wade both really could use more development imo even if they are considered 1st rounders right now, a lot can change if no one sees you play for that long. But at the same time, a spring season is too late and actually a disadvantage. So I see where Day is coming from thinking he could not only keep some of the big timers but also sell to incoming recruits that they can play right away as early enrollees and then again in the fall and it would only count as One year of eligibility. Then you have guys like trey sermon, Jonathan Cooper, baron browning etc who need more tape for the nfl but have already graduated so wouldn’t want to come back next year. So it does make some sense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It seems like fields, Wade, Davis, Myers... guys like they want to play if not only to get better before going to to the nfl. Won’t necessarily be a good thing to not have played in 15 months when showing up to an nfl minicamp. Also fields and wade both really could use more development imo even if they are considered 1st rounders right now, a lot can change if no one sees you play for that long. But at the same time, a spring season is too late and actually a disadvantage. So I see where Day is coming from thinking he could not only keep some of the big timers but also sell to incoming recruits that they can play right away as early enrollees and then again in the fall and it would only count as One year of eligibility. Then you have guys like trey sermon, Jonathan Cooper, baron browning etc who need more tape for the nfl but have already graduated so wouldn’t want to come back next year. So it does make some sense. 

That all makes sense -- lots of different interests and motivations at play here, and timing is everything.

• Like (+1) 1

Wade? If the Bucks lose Wade it will be due purely to the  indecisiveness of the B1G.  Warren may end up looking like a hero if the season runs off the rails for the conferences that play in the fall and the winter season works out (assuming it even happens). But if tOSU can’t give these first day draft picks some comfort ASAP they will start leaving and I don’t blame them. I’ll root for Shaun Wade in any uniform (except maybe one). 

Edited by Willyville Guy

FWIW 

The absolute latest on BIG football plans for this season

• By: nevadabuck 
  • 21 minutes ago
Spoke to the Third Wiseman of OSU football today--and he had a very interesting update to share....

"Been a very very busy week in the BIG. The operational tempo of things has picked up considerably in the last seven days. Credit it to the parents, to the lawsuits, to the pressure from donors---or whatever--but its palpable and its real.

Warren is just lost. Completely out of his element and almost without allies at this point. Now into this void of leadership has stepped three coaches---Ryan Day, Scott Frost and James Franklin. Day/Frost/Franklin have rallied the coaches and the AD's to try and come up with a compromise plan to the "Spring Football" plan put forth by the Presidents and Warren.

The AD's had seemed to come around to support a January 1st start date. But due to some intense lobbying by the aforementioned three coaches they have moved that date up to the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The coaches actually wanted to go earlier---much earlier---but were assured by the AD's that the Presidents would NEVER agree to this.

So in the last 24 hours, the AD's AND the coaches have come together on a plan to start after Thanksgiving. They have FORMALLY approved this and sent this on to the Presidents for final approval. This is now in the hands of Warren and the Presidents to ratify and return to play.

Some highlights of the coaches and AD's plan.

1) 11(yes ELEVEN) game season

2) Three Domed stadiums for neutral sites(Indy, Detroit, Minny)

3) 12th game would be a 1v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v 3 etc etc with the Pac-12 in a set of "bowl like" matchups

4) Games would be primarily on Saturdays (with some Thursday and Friday games mixed in)

What does this mean for the Playoff? Means the BIG won't be participating in that UNLESS the Big 12/SEC/ACC get delayed somehow.

Popular consensus seems to be that those three conferences are going to play football--on time--and as scheduled. Could that change? Sure it could---but I wouldn't hold my breath.....

Again...this is the coaches trying to make the best of a BAD situation....Probably not what a lot of OSU fans want to hear, but I can only give you the truth of what's happening---not what I want to happen....

its in the Presidents' and Warren's hands now...they know where the AD's and coaches stand...."

• 2 weeks later...

“I am deeply saddened that my time in a Buckeye uniform has been cut short, but promise that my contributions to The Ohio State University are just getting started. I am committed to earning my degree from The Ohio State and making Buckeye Nation as proud of me as an alumnus as I hopefully did as a player. I am forever proud to be an Ohio State Buckeye!”

Something about the college game hits different....

20 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

“I am deeply saddened that my time in a Buckeye uniform has been cut short, but promise that my contributions to The Ohio State University are just getting started. I am committed to earning my degree from The Ohio State and making Buckeye Nation as proud of me as an alumnus as I hopefully did as a player. I am forever proud to be an Ohio State Buckeye!”

Something about the college game hits different....

He is the total package as a recruit