GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

As this week goes on and I imagine Urban once again in a tight game calling JT runs to the left and right, I'm beginning to believe that OSU can easily lose to Bucky and all of the playoff talk will be for naught.  I cannot understand--after all the losses, all the pain, all the "mandates"--why he went back to that against Michigan instead of just giving the ball to his tailbacks.  It leaves me struggling to find optimism, but I guess that's just part of being a fan of this team.

Once Haskins went in, it forced him to use a real offense. Like giving the call to the freaking 5 Star RBs. Throwing the ball downfield and trusting the 5 Star WRs to make a play. The qB runs are a huge crutch for him. That goes back to Braxton. When they play better and better teams they do not work as well. Neither do bubble screens once you face teams with similar speed. Haskins has mobility but he’s not going to call his own number as much as JT. And he’s a bigger threat in the passing game which will force the defense to back off and I think Weber and Dobbins would eat. I want JT to do well but I don’t think he’s the best choice in this game. Urban leans on him way too much. 

But he saw what happened when he fed Braxton instead of Hyde in the 2013 B1G championship.

He saw what happened when he fed JT instead of Zeke in 2015.

He saw what happened when he insisted on the JT runs down the stretch and into the playoff last year.

He saw the Oklahoma game this year.

He knows as well as anyone that the book on JT is to cover the RB on the RPO and force the QB to keep it.

And after all that... even after he said he recognized the problem of having JT getting more carries than his RBs and issued a mandate to his coaches to fix it, there it was again against Michigan.  Barrett left the game in the third quarter yet still ended up with as many carries as Dobbins and more than Weber.  I don't understand why Urban calls that offense his "safety blanket" when it has a horrible track record in big games.  

Maybe it will work this time against Wisconsin--I truly hope it does if that's what he's going to do--but the thought of Barrett slamming into Bucky's D line all game gives me anxiety pains.

Is there any chance he starts Haskins and tries to catch lightning in a bottle like he did in 2014? I think it's highly unlikely.

So today we learn that JT had surgery on his knee on Sunday, and is now cleared to play on Saturday. How could he possibly be close to 100%? I know it wasn’t “major” surgery but how much could he really practice this week? And the amount of times he runs during the game... I’m skeptical 

how many designed qb draws will urban run with our qb 6 days removed from  knee surgery? 

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...

Gameday!  Not sure which Buckeye team will show up tonight; hopefully it's the Urban Meyer death machine instead of the version that spots opponents points on special teams and turnovers before even giving itself a chance to right the ship.

As I mentioned above, OSU owes USC a beatdown.  The Trojans are one of only two teams I can think of (the other being Clemson) that owns significant bragging rights over the Bucks.  This is a great opportunity to settle some long-standing family business.

A good showing is incredibly important. I have no idea which team to expect. I would say that the big game squad will be there, and the Bucks typically play well in bowl games - but they have failed us before. Though, I don’t see usc as being quite the team that Clemson was last year. They do have some nfl talent though. Gotta stop Darnold and Jones the RB.