Cookie Gilchrist Article - interesting read

I saw him play, great runner. Nobody ever ran people over like that. Closest maybe, Jerome Bettis on the Steelers but Cookie was way better. Of course, I am biased, I was a little kid and he was my favorite player.Might be one of the big reasons I am a fan of this team. I still am so glad my Dad took me to games, even though the crowds were really rough back in those days (so was the neighborhood, his car actually got messed with a couple of times). Dad would put me on his shoulders and it was great.

I so wish they would have had Superbowls back in 64, Jim Brown vs Cookie, now that would have been a matchup! 50 years ago, history might have been very different. Always feel for guys like Marlin Briscoe, Jim Harris and Cookie, who had to be pioneers and had such abilities in the face of the times and attitudes.

Didn't know so much about his back story though, good read thanks for posting that. Does the CFL still have players who don't go to college I wonder?

Edited by bowery4

Thanks for the link. Excellent read.

Ralph Wilson was asked why Cookie wasn't on the Stadium Wall of Fame. He responded that no one could be sure that he would show up for his own ceremony and that he also demanded an appearance fee which was not an acceptable term.

With respect to Lou Saban being placed on the Wall Ralph would not permit it because he felt that Saban twice walked away from the organization and betrayed him. Ed Kilgore, on WGR, told the story that Ralph Wilson told the committee involved with the selection process that although he would not approve Saban being on the Wall while he was alive he wasn't against Saban be selected after he passed. Althouogh the owner had his own personal honor code and value system and he could be tough he wasn't mean-spirited.

Edited by JohnC

• 1 month later...