OT-Very interesting stuff

rolly

This is from one of my education classes (multicultural education) at Fredonia. I found it very interesting.

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios, remaining the same, it would look something like this . .

World Diversity

Ok, link doesn't work because you have to sign in so here's the original text:

World Diversity

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios, remaining the same, it would look something like this . .

There would be:

57 Asians

21 Europeans

14 from the Western Hemisphere both north and south

8 Africans

• 52 would be female

• 48 would be male

70 would be non-white

30 would be white

• 70 would be non-Christian

• 30 would be Christian

89-would be heterosexual

11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all -six would be from the United States

• 80 would live in substandard housing

• 70 would be unable to read or write

• 50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 (yes only 1) would have a college education

1 would own a computer

When we. consider our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding, and education becomes glaringly apparent.

Philip M. Harter, MD, FACEP

Stanford University, School of Medicine

1 (yes only 1) would have a college education

218188[/snapback]

That's the scariest number of all. Not that the other 99 need a college education; but that the "one" is making all the decisions/policy that will affect their lives. Pretty low odds they'll get it right.

That's the scariest number of all.  Not that the other 99 need a college education; but that the "one" is making all the decisions/policy that will affect their lives.  Pretty low odds they'll get it right.

218216[/snapback]

Why would that one person be the one making all of the decisions? Do you think that it would be a dictatorship?

89-would be heterosexual

11 would be homosexual

• 80 would live in substandard housing

• 50 would suffer from malnutrition

When we. consider our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding, and education becomes glaringly apparent.

218188[/snapback]

This the type of nonsense that gives college professors a bad name. The race make-up may be close, but it seems like trivia to me. Like one of those CNN 'factoid' things.

Interesting how he throws in 11% of the world's population is homosexual, like anyone has a clue what the actual number is (out of every hundred people you know, 11 are homosexual? Maybe if you live in SF).

He also adds in 'substandard' housing, where there is no worldwide standard, which makes me also wonder who's standard is used for malnutrition. Yes, there are people that suffer from both, but it's the numbers he's using that I question. Substandard and malnutrition are not concrete terms.

But ok, given all that, there's a 'glaringly apparent' need to educate, understand and accept what exactly?

He gets an F.

But ok, given all that, there's a 'glaringly apparent' need to educate, understand and accept what exactly?

218489[/snapback]

Maybe that there's a whole world beyond "Death to all infidels," to stop blaming other people for their own problems, and that they shouldn't rely on us to clean up their mess for them?

Maybe that there's a whole world beyond "Death to all infidels," to stop blaming other people for their own problems, and that they shouldn't rely on us to clean up their mess for them?

218913[/snapback]

Maybe. But those conclusions sound more like personal opinions, and can hardly be based upon the questionable statistics provided.

The only thing that is 'glaringly apparent' to me is this is not 'higher' education. It's fluff. A college education should provide more than a CNN soundbite.

The only thing that is 'glaringly apparent' to me is this is not 'higher' education. It's fluff. A college education should provide more than a CNN soundbite.

218992[/snapback]

I think as the years go by this is the only type of understanding that students (and the uneducated rest of america) can grasp. We have become a soundbite society.

Maybe. But those conclusions sound more like personal opinions, and can hardly be based upon the questionable statistics provided.

218992[/snapback]

Because educators do everything they can to discourage contrarian/original thought. The inverse of what education should be doing. Instead, we end up with lemmings who can't read, write, do basic math, or think for themselves.