Speeding Ticket in Canada

His father paid and squared it away, assuming he has a NYS license. I think JH as a VT license by now?

OR... Since he said got the ticket while moving, he took it w/his AK license. If he has the VT license now, did he "jump" the violation. ??

Good points, and that is why I believe I haven't been contacted yet. When I got the ticket I had an Alaska drivers license. Now I am licensed in VT.

Good points, and that is why I believe I haven't been contacted yet. When I got the ticket I had an Alaska drivers license. Now I am licensed in VT.

Oops... I edited to clarify. By "jumped"... I mean it is buried. How the heck will they find you? I suppose computers. ?? But AB will (IFF) they go sniffing in AK... Does AK keep a record that you went to VT? Or is that just VT knowing you came from AK.

I think you may be in the clear... LoL... BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! I don't want you to be angry @ me when your car is being torn apart along with certain bodily cavities. Boy that would put a damper on that nice family vacation to Montreal while attempting to cross the VT-QUE line. Second thought, you should use Maine... Worked for the terrorists! ;-P ;-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Oops... I edited to clarify. By "jumped"... I mean it is buried. How the heck will they find you? I suppose computers. ?? But AB will (IFF) they go sniffing in AK... Does AK keep a record that you went to VT? Or is that just VT knowing you came from AK.

I think you may be in the clear... LoL... BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! I don't want you to be angry @ me when your car is being torn apart along with certain bodily cavities. Boy that would put a damper on that nice family vacation to Montreal while attempting to cross the VT-QUE line. Second thought, you should use Maine... Worked for the terrorists! ;-P ;-P

I suppose they have absolutely no way of finding me. As my official legal counsel, I will take your advice and blow it off. If any legal action is visited on me, however, I will be filing a law suit against you for unethical legal practice. Case closed.

Maybe that is why the cop said to 86 it? He may have thought both of you were moving/changing states. Sucks for your father that he stays put in NYS. But he has it coming for all that hell he put you through as a kid! ;-)

I suppose they have absolutely no way of finding me. As my official legal counsel, I will take your advice and blow it off. If any legal action is visited on me, however, I will be filing a law suit against you for unethical legal practice. Case closed.

Shhh... LoL... Oh boy, getting sued for practicing "Holiday Inn Express Law", probably... Just be warned, I can jump states too just like Al Capone did... I am set up on the Indiana border, you don't want to go to court in Indiana! ;-P

He told the officer that we were here for his birthday to which the officer wrote up the ticket, gave it to my dad and said "Happy Birthday"

A cop with a sense of humor,,,outstanding!

I was the lead driver, and I was the one dictating the pace. I drove 10-15 MPH above the speed limit nearly the entire way (much to my Father's protest) until we hit civilization. Needless to say, I got an earful from papa bear. It was his first speeding ticket ever...haha.

HA! Ouch! My father in law got his first ticket ever leaving our house heading out of town to go back to BFLO... About 10 or so years ago... The school blocks off traffic and you have to reroute around the town streets. Everything is a grid, so you just go around... He went straight through and some douchebag cop stopped him a gave him a ticket. Nice, he probably stewed about it the whole 530 miles drive back to WNY! He's like in his 70's and has out of state plates, I think they could have given him a warning since he was confused with the setup and didn't want to to get lost. Oh well...

Minimally you need to address this because an unpaid ticket will resort in a bench warrent being put out for you and if you reenter canada even a few years later disregarding it, you might be asked to "please step out of the vehicle".

Bench warrants are not fun. A guy I used to work with got pulled over for having an expired inspection sticker. He wrote in to the court, and when he never heard anything back, assumed it was all taken care of. Fast forward a couple years later. He gets pulled over again for an expired inspection sticker. Cop runs his name and up pops a bench warrant because the first expired inspection sticker ticket was not taken care of. So they arrest him (cuffs, back of the car, etc) and take him downtown. BUT! It's Martin Luther King Day so the courts are closed. Since there's no judges on duty, he has to spend the night in jail until he can be seen the next morning. Only good thing is the judge the next morning, upon seeing why he spent the night in jail, asked him if he learned his lesson and was free to go.

Speaking of Canada...anyone ever tried Poutine? It's freaking amazing. Fries and cheese curds smothered in gravy!! I don't know why you don't see it more in the states, eh?

Gotta go to the washroom.

You do see it a little bit here towards Chicago... But not anything remotely big like in Quebec. I kinda forget the French roots in this area. LoL, not that poutine is really French... LoL. My neighbors dad passed away, in his 90's, he had french ancestry in the Chicago area.

Only good thing is the judge the next morning, upon seeing why he spent the night in jail, asked him if he learned his lesson and was free to go.

Yeah! Make sure you keep your inspection up to date! :nana: