Tobacco Industry

BillsNYC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
AD, the American left is a sickening bunch of intolerant whiners.

Years ago, in the McGovern era, "liberals" would be up in arms against rights being taken away. Today, they choose to use the word "freedom" only when it applies to their own narrow view of a pie in the sky utopian world.

Do you think I will get an answer about "banning" anal sex?  :(  Of course not. It might inconvenience their constituents.

217139[/snapback]

That is what GALLS me about the conservative extremist right.. they whine and cry and b**ch about liberals and left wingers, when they are equally as guilty of being crackpots and the abridging of others' rights!! Come to reality and recognize that extremism has not one side, but TWO sides that are both dragging our country into the mud!! For every McGovern there is a Nixon...

That is what GALLS me about the conservative extremist right.. they whine and cry and b**ch about liberals and left wingers, when they are equally as guilty of being crackpots and the abridging of others' rights!! Come to reality and recognize that extremism has not one side, but TWO sides that are both dragging our country into the mud!! For every McGovern there is a Nixon...

217740[/snapback]

McGovern was an honest man who fought the democratic machine led by Mayor Daley of Chicago. He made well needed changes in the party.

Nixon was said to be a sick man, but he, as a repub, had a good relationship with organized labor. Before the Nixon Postal Reorganization Act, many postal workers were living below the poverty level and getting public assistance. He was also noted for a sound, strong foreign policy.

Bad examples. :(

Btw, I do agree that there are sellouts on the far right. I have also met a few leftists who disagree with the ban.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
McGovern was an honest man who fought the democratic machine led by Mayor Daley of Chicago. He made well needed changes in the party.

Nixon was said to be a sick man, but he, as a repub, had a good relationship with organized labor. Before the Nixon Postal Reorganization Act, many postal workers were living below the poverty level and getting public assistance. He was also noted for a sound, strong foreign policy.

Bad examples.  :lol:

Btw, I do agree that there are sellouts on the far right. I have also met a few leftists who disagree with the ban.

217771[/snapback]

I just wanted to chime in and say nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Would you rather have an honest man who had below average presidential terms, or a dishonest man who had tremendously productive presidential terms? Interesting way to think about it, since we can't seem to get away from either one these days! :(

Maybe I am too much of a Romantic a lot of times... I expect too much out of government, the inherent goodness in people, and the people that vote. :lol:

I just wanted to chime in and say nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Would you rather have an honest man who had below average presidential terms, or a dishonest man who had tremendously productive presidential terms? Interesting way to think about it, since we can't seem to get away from either one these days!  :(

Maybe I am too much of a Romantic a lot of times... I expect too much out of government, the inherent goodness in people, and the people that vote.  :lol:

217784[/snapback]

In answer to your question, I would look to the terms of Nixon and Carter, and say that America was a better place with Nixon.

Btw, I am not a conservative extremist. If the dems put forward a reasonable candidate, I would consider voting for him or her. The thing is, I am not holding my breath but my nose, awaiting Hillary in 08.

I'm torn, I hate the imposition on liberty.

And yet, I enjoy the smoke-free environment. It's a complex issue.

217810[/snapback]

Joe, imo, the issue is not really what YOU enjoy, NOR the rights of individual citizens who choose to smoke.

I think that the choice should rest on the shoulders of the owner of the property, and I would be fine with a sign OUTSIDE the establishment alerting patrons as to whether or not they will be "exposed."

What is happening to you? Are you becoming a leftist? :D:w00t::P:P

I have no knowledge of how many states consider sodomy illegal (but I have a weird feeling that YOU do).  :D

!) Do you favor these laws?

2) Should they be strictly enforced?

3) Go back to being a cop in the "Anti-Drew" Police Department.  :w00t:  :P  :P

217233[/snapback]

I think it's about 40 or something...usually not even remotely enforced (realistically, the police in this country still need a warrant and probably cause to invade someone's home...which is realistically where most sexual acts still take place). I have no doubt that there's a small but very vocal minority that is outright eager to see those laws enforced, though.

As for my thoughts:

1) No.

2) Not really...more out of privacy concerns than anything else. I can imagine some situations where I'd actively lobby for them to be enforced, though (e.g. San Francisco in the mid-80s, when enforcing such laws against public acts in the bathhouses would have gone a long way towards slowing the AIDS epidemic), but only as a means to an end that has nothing to do with some "anal sex is bad" puritanism.

3) :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Why is it that no State has had the b*lls to ban tobacco sales in their state? Is it because it's a legal product? If I had big bucks, I'd sue cities, counties etc. that ban the use of a LEGAL product in the public arena by citizens.

That government entities get away with such should give one pause...

Let's not forget that Pataki, while obviously no neo-con, is not a dem either. I think in most cases the smoking issue does not fall into strict dem v rep sides. States on both sides have enjoyed the money they have gotten out of the tobacco industry settlements.

Let's not forget that Pataki, while obviously no neo-con, is not a dem either.  I think in most cases the smoking issue does not fall into strict dem v rep sides.  States on both sides have enjoyed the money they have gotten out of the tobacco industry settlements.

220525[/snapback]

Pataki and Bloomberg are terrific examples of RINOs. A true conservative would never get elected as Governor of NYS or Mayor of NYC. Can't wait to see what the Guiliani lovers response to that is.

Joe, imo, the issue is not really what YOU enjoy, NOR the rights of individual citizens who choose to smoke.

I think that the choice should rest on the shoulders of the owner of the property, and I would be fine with a sign OUTSIDE the establishment alerting patrons as to whether or not they will be "exposed."

What is happening to you? Are you becoming a leftist?  :)  :)  :P  :D

218607[/snapback]

Hardly.

I'm becoming a health freak. I don't want to be 40 and feel like I'm 60, know what I mean?

I'm not saying that at all amigo.

I'm not PRO the smoking ban, but neither am I against it.

221580[/snapback]

:w00t:

You're not for the rights of private property owners to allow adults to engage in legal activities at their own discretion? Is that because you're often forced into bars against your will?