Potential discrimination narrowly averted

Per the linked article the City of San Francisco has set a fine example for all of us. According to their estimates they are about to tax plastic bags at grocery stores 17 cents each. This is only three times what it costs the city on a per bag basis. A bargain right there.

As a bonus, even though paper bags don't cost the city anything, they have decided to tax those too, just to be fair.

Plastic molecules of the world unite in support of San Fran's anti-discriminatory stance.

I also like the part about the deep concern environmentalists have found for machinery. Whoda thunk it?

Poor plastic

Per the linked article the City of San Francisco has set a fine example for all of us.  According to their estimates they are about to tax plastic bags  at grocery stores 17 cents each.  This is only three times what it costs the city on a per bag basis.  A bargain right there.

As a bonus, even though paper bags don't cost the city anything, they have decided to tax those too, just to be fair. 

Plastic molecules of the world unite in support of San Fran's anti-discriminatory stance.

I also like the part about the deep concern environmentalists have found for machinery.  Whoda thunk it?

Poor plastic

216924[/snapback]

"are about to tax plastic bags" is overstating the situation a bit. The Commissioner on the Environment asked the Mayor and the Board of Suprervisors to "consider" the tax. That is about it. It hasn't even been proposed as legislation so to go from that to "about to tax" which makes it sound as if it is an imminent reality is going further than the facts. Stupid idea? No question. However, it is a stupid idea that hasn't even gotten off the ground yet. Why don't we wait until they actually do something stupid before we condemn the whole city and the very notion of government shall we? Right now all you have is one guy who mentioned a really stupid idea. Besides, I'm sure we won't have to wait long.

i need all the plastic bags i can get...

what else am i going to pick up dog stevestojan with?

also, what are the homeless are supposed to do...the homeless use plastic bags to store their life possessions.

will some one please think of the homeless?

Thing is that the SF Board of Supervisors is such a bunch of total whack-jobs that it will probably breeze through.

Recently, the city is deep in debt and they debate and pass a bill setting living standards for dogs and cats.

"are about to tax plastic bags" is overstating the situation a bit.  The Commissioner on the Environment asked the Mayor and the Board of Suprervisors to "consider" the tax.  That is about it.  It hasn't even been proposed as legislation so to go from that to "about to tax" which makes it sound as if it is an imminent reality is going further than the facts.  Stupid idea?  No question.  However, it is a stupid idea that hasn't even gotten off the ground yet.  Why don't we wait until they actually do something stupid before we condemn the whole city and the very notion of government shall we?  Right now all you have is one guy who mentioned a really stupid idea.  Besides, I'm sure we won't have to wait long.

217424[/snapback]

Lighten up Francis, I was mostly making fun of the way the article was written. I found the notion that it would be unfair to discriminate against platic bags (vis a vis paper) particularly hysterical.

Lighten up Francis, I was mostly making fun of the way the article was written.  I found the notion that it would be unfair to discriminate against platic bags (vis a vis paper) particularly hysterical.

217617[/snapback]

He's still pissed about that November thingy, cut him some slack.

Lighten up Francis, I was mostly making fun of the way the article was written.  I found the notion that it would be unfair to discriminate against platic bags (vis a vis paper) particularly hysterical.

217617[/snapback]

Lighten up yourself plastic man.

No, you lighten up.

218140[/snapback]

I hope you know how to evade process servers, my suit papers are on the way. Better start hiding assets while you can. Before I'm through, I'll own everything you have, including that '73 Vega.

I hope you know how to evade process servers, my suit papers are on the way.  Better start hiding assets while you can.  Before I'm through, I'll own everything you have, including that '73 Vega.

218167[/snapback]

Huh? I hope you know how to evade the men in the white suits.

:):):blink::blink:0:)

I hope you know how to evade process servers, my suit papers are on the way.  Better start hiding assets while you can.  Before I'm through, I'll own everything you have, including that '73 Vega.

218167[/snapback]

I always stay away from the process servers. I have to admit though they are pretty cool. The way they chop up carrots and celery and stuff. Truth be told, my wife won't let me near it. And by the way, it's a Pacer, not a Vega.

I always stay away from the process servers.  I have to admit though they are pretty cool.  The way they chop up carrots and celery and stuff.  Truth be told, my wife won't let me near it.  And by the way, it's a Pacer, not a Vega.

218462[/snapback]

I had you pegged as more of a Gremlin guy.

According to their estimates they are about to tax plastic bags  at grocery stores 17 cents each.

This is why everyone should use reusable hemp fabric bags.